I hate my daughter's hair - WWYD? Poll - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: WWYD about my dd's hair?
Try to talk her into cutting it 29 38.16%
Try new products (no fair choosing this without saying what!) 20 26.32%
Let it go and cut out the tangles as necessary 2 2.63%
Chill out mom, it's her hair 19 25.00%
Other, because there's always an other. 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Or the child could resent you for the rest of her life for forcing her to be "ugly" to make your life easier.
Cutting a four year old's hair from mid-back to shoulder-length is hardly something that will cause lifelong resentment.

Shaving a 14 year old girl's head would do that. A few inches off a kindergarten age kid? I think they'll all survive...

I assume the OP's dd was emotionally well when her hair was shoulder-length before. If I was the OP, I'd offer dd the option of wearing ponytails and/or braids, and sitting reasonably still and quiet for daily hairbrushing. If she can't/won't do that, then a trim is in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Cutting a four year old's hair from mid-back to shoulder-length is hardly something that will cause lifelong resentment.
You wanna make a bet? You can roll your eyes all you want but I speak from experiance!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
You wanna make a bet? You can roll your eyes all you want but I speak from experiance!
:
Only in my case, it was myself I resented since it was 100% my fault it had to be cut.

Try putting a ton of conditioner on it, like a 1/4 cupful in the shower for combing it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Oh, and as my hair got longer and the tangles were a huge problem, for whatever reason my dad could comb my hair no problem but it'd hurt when mom did it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

-Buddah

Wishing you ladies peace someday!

OP: My mom convinced me to get the Jennifer Anniston "Friends" haircut back when it was popular. I hated it! But I didn't hate her... and I definitely don't hold it against her. My mom's human & I think she's allowed to make mistakes. How was she supposed to know anyway? She's a mom, not psychic. She was just trying her best.

Just thought I'd share, since everyone else was sharing their childhood hair experiences

Regardless! Sounds like you've got a plan! I'll let you know how the haircut experience goes this weekend

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Seems that the OP has come up with a plan, so due to the OT tendencies in this thread I am closing it to further comments. Thank you for understanding!

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms

User Tag List