What do your children drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2004, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it sounds like a silly question, but I never cared much for juice (full of sugar, would rather give my kids real fruit, but that's just my opinion!), anyway, my youngest is still nursing, and my middle two never cared for cows milk and will drink juice once in a while at someone else's house, but just love water. They get plenty of calcium in other foods so I'm not worried about that, BUT I get so much aggravation for them drinking water! My 6 yr old dd's teacher sent a note home that all she had to drink for snacktime was water, didn't I want to send juice?! Am I hurting them by not having juices or something else to drink? Never thought a second thing about it until I started getting so much flak about it. One mom even said to my ds, "Oh, you poor thing, all you get is water!" Aargh! If i give him juice he doesn't like it! Sigh...
Just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 09:45 AM

My kids both have a small amount of juice (with no sugar) in the morning and then water the rest of the day, except at meals when they drink milk. There is a juice obsession among parents here too. I mean there is an entire aisle of just juice at the grocery store and 99% of it is sugary crap. Many people seem to think that it's healthy but if they spent two seconds reading the label they would realize it's not.

There is very little to be gained by drinking juice, and nothing you can't get better by eating the actual fruit. Juice is especially bad for kids who are picky eaters b/c it has a lot of calories, but little else, and may fill them up so they are not hungry for actual food. Sorry, I'm a bit anti-juice.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:19 AM

DD (3 1/2) drinks juice with breakfast every day, but not store bought juice. We have a juicer and every morning, she runs into the kitchen to pick out which fruits she wants to throw in there to make her own juice. She gets a juice box when we have play group, but only ones with 100% juice and no added sugar. Otherwise she drinks milk at meals and usually water in between and before bed.

Bonnie
Old 02-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Water, orange juice, or milk, preferably raw if we can get it. That's it, except when they go to their grandparents, who always buy those d*&^ juice boxes! (and never clean up the mess when they inevitabely spill them...: )

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 02-09-2004, 01:30 PM

I just don't get people who have this idea that juice is so healthy for kids. Sure, there is some vitamin C or whatever, but essentially it is just sugar with no fiber (unless it's pulpy homemade juice, I guess!). Eating fruit is way more nutritious.

My daughter drinks mostly water and soymilk, and has orange juice some mornings. There is apple juice and water served for snack at school and she usually has the juice, and occasionally at home she'll have white grape juice, heavily diluted with water.

I'm so used to a huge bottle of juice lasting forever because we dilute it, and then DD has a playdate and the kid only drinks "straight" juice, and there goes my big bottle! That makes me a cheapo, doesn't it? :LOL

I wonder if those parents who give their "picky" kids a ton of juice thinking it's healthy realize that the juice may have a lot to do with why the kid is so picky in the first place? The super sweet taste could certainly cause a strong preference for sweet foods, plus it is filling them up.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Chris gets orange juice (with pulp) mixed with water for breakfast, water during the day, and soy or rice milk with dinner. Before I switched his preschool, I found out that they were giving the kids 'red juice' I flipped out. ack! It was that colored/sugared stuff. I suspect Chris had a candida problem, because during that time, he wanted juice all the time, and cried for it constantly. I'd offer him water, and he'd lose it. Anyway, I changed his school (because of many reasons, not only the 'red juice' thing) and things are back to normal, and he likes water.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 PM

I agree with you that juice can be a waste. And you may have already addressed this with his teacher, but is it possible that when everyone else is having juice, your dd is looking for some too? If not, I would just ignore the teacher's comments. On the other hand, if dd wants the juice like my ds did when everyone else had one, I bought the rubbermaid juiceboxes and sent ds with watered down orange or apple juice.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:43 PM

my dd primarily drinks water - every once in a while we give her very watered down juice as a treat, or milk, but if she is thirsty all she really craves is water. DH and I enjoy soda water with a bit of juice as a change from water, but DD finds it too "spicy". Oh, and cold herbal tea in the afternoon for tea - I think that could be a great compromise in a sippy cup of sorts if kids want to bring something sweet and non-water! But I think most people drink far too little water during the day, and that it's healthy to have your kids drinking as much water as possible. Whatever nutrients you can get in juice, you can get through fruit and veggies, and it's so much healthier to have the "sugars" with the fibre of 'real' fruit. So I would say, keep up the water drinking! (unless of course your kids are at all worried about "fitting in", and then maybe try a favourite herbal tea?!!!)

Erica

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
Old 02-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just water for us. People think juice is so good for you but when all boils down it is just sugar water. It is a rare treat for my children it is too expensive for everyday and a mess to clean up when they spill. I do give more to my baby than I do to the girls but only because I can tuck little jars away in the car, at MIL house and in the diaper bag and not ohave to worry about forgetting to bring a dring. But even then she gets it only once a week or so and then diluted if there is anywhere to get some water. My kids get about 4 ounces of milk a day and they have to ask for it, I don't offer. There is much better calcium to be had else where.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM

My older dd drank primarily very watered down juice and my younger drinks mostly milk. Neither would drink plain water much, but the older one is starting to like it better.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My kids drink some juice, but only 100% fruit juice and it is always diluted, no fruit drink sugar-based stuff. They drink some milk every day, always organic, but usually they drink water. About a year ago I stopped redirecting them from sugar water "juice" at church and friends' houses and let them have it - not diluted. Immediately they all said it tasted gross and gave them headaches so now they avoid it on their own and ask for water. I am glad I protected them from developing a taste for it when they were toddlers but also glad that they have chosen to avoid it for themselves now.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:57 AM

water tea soy milk
Old 02-11-2004, 04:10 PM

water, tea, milk, juice
Old 02-12-2004, 11:43 AM

i think its wonderful if all they want is water! dont listen to those other people!

my ds likes flavored water. i give him 1/4 cup 100% grape or apple juice to 3/4 cup water....
Old 02-14-2004, 09:54 AM

water, tea, and for a treat juice.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:24 AM

Water most of the time here, as well. I make our own rice milk. I started buying juice boxes from Trader Joe's just for fun once in a while-but she goes to water first. Oh,a nd homemade lemonade (we pick the lemons ourselves) and iced mint and fruit teas.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by WishIwasinMN
I. One mom even said to my ds, "Oh, you poor thing, all you get is water!" Aargh! If i give him juice he doesn't like it! Sigh...
Just wondering

I get that to, from my mom. U know as the others have said water is really the best. juice? well i give juice maybe 1 or 2 times only on the weekends oj and when he is sick. I also water it down too. but muy son does get yogurt drink almost very morn. but really its WATER WATER WATER AND SOME MORE WATER:LOL

that mom who said that is probley just upsste bc her kids wont drink water

hugs!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:25 PM

Well, we consider juice as part of a meal or a snack. Not a drink. We 'drink' water around here. All day- every day. Our kids don't complain about it and that is what they prefer when they are actually thirsty.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Mostly water. Some diluted juice, milk in the morning. ds likes o.j. I'll give him that straight with breakfast. I don't mind them having anything really--except alcohol and coffee--I believe that everything is okay in moderation and that if I start making things taboo, they only become more exciting. I think someone else had a good point--is your dd looking for juice? I agree it's not chock full of much, but it might not hurt terribly either once in awhile.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:39 PM

Ds mostly drinks water, sometimes milk. He drinks juice once in a blue moon. For a treat we sometimes get him 'yummy water' (Evian or some other nice-tasting spring water.) Teachers at his preschool thought it was weird that he didn't want the 'fruit punch' (ie sugary gunk) they served every day. Friends don't understand why he doesn't want soda pop (he's FOUR, okay?).

All I can say is, no wonder there are so many fat kids in this country.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:59 PM

My kids drink pure diluted fruit juice. They have never taken to water and will only have a couple of sips and I don't think they drink enough anyway so am glad they will have something!!
Old 02-14-2004, 10:40 PM

We are all huge water drinkers. Once a day, my dss might have soy milk. And when they are sick, they like apple juice. But 90% of the time it's water for everyone.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM

Water, water, water!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:48 AM

Only water. Ever. He doesn't even like juice that much.

Maybe if you got a little bottle and filled it with water the teacher wouldn't give you a problem. Maybe it's an aesthetic thing -- all the other kids with their fancy boxes and straws and your DD with a little cup of sink water. Just wondering....
Old 02-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Water and breastmilk, maybe once a week or two a little juice, she prefers water though.

I get the "oh you poor baby" thing tooo UGH!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:15 PM

Kool-aid, diet pop and McDonalds milkshakes.

I had you all going there, didn't I. :LOL Actually, they drink milk with meals and water the rest of the time. The odd time they have juice, it's extra pulp oj, the good stuff. 3 yo dd sometimes has a cup of tea with me (about an ounce of tea, the rest milk), and has mommy milk as well.

Pop is a very rare treat, kool-aid and McD's, never.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:18 PM

The really funny thing is that her Granny tried to give her a sip of soda even after I said she didn't like it, and Kailey spit it out at her!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:37 PM

We are a water family. I made sure I kicked my juice habit before dd started picking it up. I always tried to buy the best juice like apploe juice and v-8 splash (or the store brand), but now we are a water family. We drink some cow's milk, but we buy skim, so dd doesn't get any. I once bought a small carton of Homog. milk, but didn't give her much. I bought it when I was having trouble dealing with her frequent nursing, but then I chickened out.
Oh, and she LOVES herbal tea with a teensy bit o' honey. Earlier this winter, we'd have hot chocolate after being out in the snow, but even though her cup was tiny and diluted, she wouldn't sleep at night.
I've seen her down about 8 ounces of water in just a couple minutes!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by WishIwasinMN
My 6 yr old dd's teacher sent a note home that all she had to drink for snacktime was water, didn't I want to send juice?! Am I hurting them by not having juices or something else to drink? Never thought a second thing about it until I started getting so much flak about it. One mom even said to my ds, "Oh, you poor thing, all you get is water!" Aargh! If i give him juice he doesn't like it! Sigh...
What strange reactions. Water is the healthiest drink there is! Please don't be worried.

My child (almost 4) drinks mainly water and breastmilk. Then he likes calcium drinks and juices ocasionally.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 PM

water here, milk with meals, and he just now has had a taste of O.J. in the am and he drinks maybe 2 sips and is done...DH has it every am and myself as I have been craving it much while pg so he wanted to taste it...happy to be Juicey Juice free here....

Amazing the teacher had the B***s to send that note home....:

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

User Tag List