3 year old with red, itchy, allergic eyes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you found anything that helped. We have been to the pediatrician about this twice and my daughter doesn't have anything stuck in her eyes, doesn't have an infection and hasn't scratched them or anything. Every morning she wakes up with beautiful, clear eyes. Then especially on days when she plays outside a lot, by lunch time her eyes are getting red and itchy, and by mid-afternoon and evening they are bothering her a lot and she cries and has trouble falling asleep.

The pediatrician prescribed some eye drops called Patanol, and as a last resort we have also started giving her children's claritin most days.

I don't really want to be having to give her allergy medication every day, especially since she is so young, but she is in so much distress if I don't, I can't not give it to her.

I am trying to make her a smoothie with bee pollen every day to try to help get her body on top of this.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What did you do? What helped??

Thanks in advance!!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#2 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Not sure if you can manage it with a 3 year old, but a cool washcloth over the eyes can help ease the itching.

It might be worth it to find out what the allergy actually is. That way you can at least try to avoid it.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 AM

You mentioned that it is worse when she goes outside, that leads me to believe that it could be environmental like seasonal allergies. I would start off by keeping a log. If you google you will find the allergy (grass/pollen/mold type) forecast for your area some even allow you to do it by zip code for more precise estimates. keep that page and notate how she felt,symptoms, medications given and whatnot. After a few weeks see if you can find a pattern.
#4 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM

HI there!
I have a 7 year old that has the same EXACT problem! Wakes up fine and then it gets worse and worse as the days go on and it keeps him up at night. And he cant focus in school cause all he can do is rub his eyes constantly. We are trying the Px Pataday. Have you heard of it? So far so good. But I hate hate hate giving him a Px but I hate EVEN more to see him suffer. Let me know please if you figured something else out to help your little girl. Here is my email you can contact me there, it is much easier
TraciCortez@hotmail.com

Traci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page