WWYD/just need to be sad - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM

This sounds SO much like an issue I had with my second son, only his deal was not limping it was vomiting. Oh yeah, he could do it anytime at the drop of a hat. And he did. Every time we went anywhere. EVERY time. We honestly stopped going out because the kid was a puke machine every time we left the house.

I finally had enough, took him to the doctor and was honest...I've had all of this crap that I can take. Either something is wrong with him or he's doing it on purpose. He then proceeded to puke all over the exam room...at which point the doctor looks at me and says quietly "Oh, he's doing it on purpose." That was the point at which I no longer had any sympathy for him; he was choosing to do this baloney and it was going to stop. If he even started to gag, we packed up and left whatever we were doing, wherever we were (and we were in a similar "30 minutes from anything" location as you). I let him know that if he was fine with wrecking our outing by throwing up, then I was fine with wrecking it by leaving. We'd go home, simple explanation "You tried to throw up so we had to come home.", then no further discussion. I don't think I need to tell you that it is no longer a problem. Kids catch on really quick when their little game is up.

Don't allow the fact that the first few times of going somewhere and having to leave will be a major bummer stop you from doing it or it will never stop. (I actually once left behind an entire cart of groceries, but it was worth it because this really works!) Make up your mind to spend the next month solving this problem. Go on outings with the intent to leave, not to stay. Don't get upset, just say "Oh you're limping again. We'll have to go home. We can come back when you're ready to walk properly." Then leave. Don't discuss, or over-explain. The fact that you don't appear upset (even though inside you might be) will let her know that you are no longer on the limping bandwagon with her. You may be surprised that instead of being upset, you actually feel empowered (I did) - you're getting your life back a little at a time! Your happiness as a mom is at stake here; don't let this fake limping stuff hold you hostage.
#63 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Funnily enough, my Mum's friend (at nearly 60 yrs old) has just been told she has hypermobility (the childhood 'clicky hips'). It causes her to stumble, be generally clumsy - trip over her own feet, without any cause or pain.
Hope you get some answers ((hug))
#64 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Today was so long. Her ped could take her this morning so we went over. He looked her over, ordered bloodwork and x ray. Both are fine. Tomorrow we're seeing a neurologist. I'm so scared. Even her ped said ok, that's not exactly the same walk she was doing this morning. A few times she got distracted and walked fine, but now she's back with some new limp thing and she's doing it A LOT. I don't know what to think. I'm just so scared. This is my baby.

Pray for us.
#65 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Walk away from Dr. Google. NO good can come of that in a situation like this. At the beginning of this thread you sounded confident that she was doing this on purpose. I know through this discussion and research you've done you are now worried about there being something really wrong, but I think you should go back and read your other posts to reassure yourself that this is probably a behavioral thing. Not that it is easy to deal with that, but don't let yourself worry about what MIGHT be wrong. Bloodtest and X-ray were fine. Since the limp changes sometimes, I'd guess it's not caused by some physiological thing. Breathe. You will help her through this.
#66 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
Today was so long. Her ped could take her this morning so we went over. He looked her over, ordered bloodwork and x ray. Both are fine. Tomorrow we're seeing a neurologist. I'm so scared. Even her ped said ok, that's not exactly the same walk she was doing this morning. A few times she got distracted and walked fine, but now she's back with some new limp thing and she's doing it A LOT. I don't know what to think. I'm just so scared. This is my baby.

Pray for us.
Well, keep us updated, otherwise, I will worry too. LOL.

I'm betting she's fine though. Although, I do understand what you are feeling. Lukemia was always one of my obsessive fears. (that and her falling from the second story window) We all have these fears and bad thoughts. Relax, it will all be fine.
#67 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 PM

I have a similarly stubborn, power-struggle inducing DD1, who's 3.

I can totally understand what you're saying about her slowing down even MORE when you try in the slightest way to speed her up, and I totally get how infuriating and draining that can be.

I think you know her best. I think it's a good idea to take her to the ped, even if it's just for her to feel like you're listening. Have you thought about taking her to a chiropractor?

I'm wondering if this might be a self-esteem issue, if she is indeed faking it. It seems attention seeking. It seems designed to get the pity/attention of others, as well as to push your buttons. I might work on my own language toward her, building her up about things completely unrelated to the limp issue (ie, not talking about how great she did when she went somewhere without slowing you down, but instead talking about how lovely her smile is and how it really makes you happy to smile with her, and how you love to hear her sing, or what a beautiful drawing she did and it'll go on the fridge for Daddy to see, etc.). I know with my DD1, me trying to hurry things along (especially if I forget and imply that we're late or need to hurry) just makes everything take a gazillion times longer with her. If I know we're late, but don't mention it or push her along more quickly, we can make up time.

I really like the idea that when you're out, and she says she needs to pee, you say something like "OK, and when we et to the bathroom, we're not leaving until you have gone pee."

I also agree that a movie in a theater was likely too much for her. I know there's no way my 3 yo is ready for a movie in a theater.

I wonder how things would go for you if you just slowed down to her limping pace. It would drive me batty because I have no patience for DD1's dawdling, but I wonder, if you spent a day or two intentionally going at her pace, and talking about all you see as you go along about your day, and just generally allowing for a slow 3-year-old pace, if she'd be OK with moving more quickly in a few days.

I'm glad you're taking her to a ped and a neurologist based on the ped's rec., I think it shows her that you think this is a big deal, and if there's a physical basis, you'll all be happy to get it sorted out. Try to ignore Dr. Google (love that!) and don't waste any more time on that, it'll likely just make you even more anxious.
#68 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM

I know how scary it is to think omething might be wrong with your baby.

I will say it's possible for hip issues to NOT show up on x-ray. Ever since I can remember,I've been unable t walk fast,usually,and hated going for walks as a kid. Hated.it. Dawdled,complained non-stop. I know by age 7-8 I was having at least some pain,but I didn't mention it to my mom til I was 9. Then she said I was just lazy. By 11,she finally took me to the dr for hip pain. X-rays were fine. did some physiotherapy. I would b seemingly ok for weeks at a time. Finally,at 14,the pain lasted long enough to see dr. again -xrays were fine,but he said I had ankylosing spondylitis, (I don't.) By age 15,x-rays were showing damage to m y hip joints. I pretty much avoided dr.'s after that. (long story)

After year of pain,I finally went back to the dr. just before I turned 35,for more x-rays. Turns out I have osteorthritis in both hips and my back. No idea why.Obviously,something caused it,some structural anamoly or something I do know I have one leg longer than the other.

I'm really glad you are getting it checked out.
#69 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I wonder how things would go for you if you just slowed down to her limping pace. It would drive me batty because I have no patience for DD1's dawdling, but I wonder, if you spent a day or two intentionally going at her pace, and talking about all you see as you go along about your day, and just generally allowing for a slow 3-year-old pace, if she'd be OK with moving more quickly in a few days.
I love this idea. I think we should ALL do this with our kids sometimes! (Including me...starting, um, when I'm not so busy? )
#70 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 PM

I hope everything turns out okay and this is truly a simple case of stubborn-child syndrome.
Keep us posted.
#71 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM

s

I know you're scared and having very "worst case scenario" thoughts. I personally think (based on all of your posts) that she's faking. I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this.
#72 of 251 Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM

I am glad you are getting her checked out. I don't do doctors, but if my child was doing this I would take them in without hesitation to the chiro just to be sure.

I also wanted to add that so many of the potential reasons for her behaviour that have been described here sound so negative! "manipulative" "attention seeking" "creating a power struggle". She is SO YOUNG! And to describe any child's actions with such negativity really misses the point of WHY children do what they do. It is a form of communication. A way to tell us something that they haven't otherwise been able to put into words. Kids are still very much in the physical realm of development and as such tend to communicate with their bodies as much as with their words (if not more).

Once any physical reason has been ruled out maybe just try to accommodate her. She is doing it for a reason. Maybe if you just go along with it for a while you will get a better sense of why she is doing this. Kids will fake things from time to time. All of mine who are old enough have done this for a day or two. But what you describe seems to indicate that there is more going on here. She either has a physical reason or an emotional one. Either needs to be addressed, but not with punishments or consequences. That will only lead her to try to express her need in another way, and probably in one that is even less desirable.

Good luck, and I will be sending out good vibes that there isn't a physical reason for this! Sorry you are going through such worry Mama

#73 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 AM

I hope everything goes well at the neurology appointment. At least you will be able to rule anything physical out. If there are no physical causes found, then you'll be able to deal with it as a behavioral issue without wondering in the back of your mind if you should have checked out more.

And good advice, to stay away from Dr. Google.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#74 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Please continue to pray for us. I don't know how I'm going to make it till her appointment this afternoon. I'm so scared. Please pray it's just nothing. I don't care if she fake limps for the rest of her life, I just want her to be ok.
#75 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I know I've become obsessive but, who wouldn't.

She was just outside playing with the neighbor's new puppy and she did fine peddling her bike, up and down off the driveway, she walks backwards fine and shifts her weight from leg to leg. Sometimes she'd walk fine for a few steps and then start to limp. I so just want this to be fake and a behavior problem.
#76 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 04:49 PM

I hope to hear good news.
#77 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Just checking in. Hang in there.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#78 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Did you see the neurologist today?
#79 of 251 Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for thinking of us.

For about the first half hour, the doctor was totally with us on it being a behavior thing. I mean, TOTALLY. But then when she (the doc) couldn't bribe or distract S (my daughter) and get her to walk properly or run, she decided it couldn't be because no three year old could keep it up for that long. I disagree, mine totally could and distraction and bribes have NEVER worked with her on anything at any age, ever.

For now, she's going to have an MRI (with sedation, which I'm going to ask more about tomorrow - but I think that's best as S is TERRIFIED of loud noises lately) and a few more rounds of blood tests (which I'm hoping they can do while she's sedated) and the doctor has prescribed meds for something called dystonia or distonia. I'm trying really hard not to google. If it's that, she should respond to the meds pretty quickly.

Please keep your prayers coming. Thank you so much for hanging in with us.
#80 of 251 Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that this is becoming such an ordeal for you and your DD. Good luck with the MRI. I hope they can get the blood samples while she's sleeping. That would be one less thing to worry about.

I hope you find some answers soon and that everything works out well for your DD. You are doing a great job in a tough situation. Hang in there.

You, your DD and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Starflower

#81 of 251 Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't panic! I'm in the "she's faking" camp. DD's too young for me to be in this forum, but I came across your post and had to offer sympathy. DD at 18 months has just starting the deliberately slow walking thing, and it drives me BATTY! My goodness, does it drive me batty. Our pram broke and I have no car, so every errands-trip with DD (and the nearest block of shops is a 15-minute walk away) means we walk. And on the way home she'll drag her feet and go limp at the knees if I hold her hand, and walk the wrong way, looking at me sideways, and sit down and refuse to budge. Which, as summer gets closer, gets less fun - I sunburn easily and our walk home crosses a huge open park, so waiting for her to get a move on in the sweltering heat is NOT my idea of a good time! Sometimes I can carry her, but even at 18 months she's heavy to carry for too long, especially when my other arms are full of groceries. And because she's afraid I'll put her down, she digs her heels into me and sort of clings in this weird, painful, annoying way.

Sometimes when my arms are killing me I put her down, hold her hand firmly and make her walk; if she goes limp-kneed I just lift my arm so she can't fall down and then put her down on the ground. She walks much faster that way, but she wails and tries to wriggle her hand out of mine and I feel like a terrible mother. (Plus, I don't think that's physically possible to do with a child your DD's size - not with my biceps, anyway!)

In DD's case I know it's partly because she's tired, but just for the record it's ALWAYS needs-a-nap sleepy, not walked-too-much exhausted (as in, it affects her behavior, not her legs!). In a "fun" situation the kid just will not tire and will walk for miles and miles. But there's something about walking home - I suspect, like your DD, that she's made a habit of it. It's really annoying!

So I sympathise... I really do...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#82 of 251 Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Just wanted to send along more

Thinking of you...

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#83 of 251 Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
on the way home she'll drag her feet and go limp at the knees if I hold her hand,
That's it, that's how it started.

And the more attention we pay it, the more we try to correct it, the worse it's gotten. This is exactly how it went with trying to get her to take meds, toilet learn, etc. We still rock her to sleep because she just flat refuses to go to sleep any other way.

Obviously, I just really want it to be a habit and a control/attention thing. That would be, I think now that we know how seriously she's taking it, fairly easy to fix. We'll just slow down and dust off the stroller and stop talking about it. I don't know about this dystonia thing. I know the woman who was on the news recently, the flu shot thing, she can walk backwards and jog ok but can't walk or speak well anymore? She has dystonia. THAT is scary.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, it means a lot to me. I'm still hoping for a good healthy outcome.
#84 of 251 Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

And we've just gotten back from the doc and she has tonsillitis. She was riding a bike in the store (we're hoping to get her one for Christmas and trying out heights) with both legs just fine. She's asking to be carried a lot, but she feels bad. Her walking is still slow but NOTHING like the pronounced limp/hobble she's been doing for the doctors. At times, she's just slow. So I don't know.

I have to call the neurologist tomorrow and make sure she can still start the meds for the dystonia if she's also on meds for the tonsillitis and if we're still on for the MRI next Tuesday.

Part of me kind of thinks she's too sick and tired to keep up the limp, and then sometimes I think if she really isn't faking, how awful it must be to have lost control like that. Althought it hasn't made her frustrated or changed her mood at all.

Thanks for continuing to think of us. I hate to be selfish but still appreciate all the prayers sent our way.
#85 of 251 Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM

I just wanted to give you a hug.

I will keep you and your dd in my thoughts.

Please keep us updated.
#86 of 251 Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 AM

I just wanted to offer you a .

I hope nothing turns up in the MRI.

Just to give you my own experience, I took my daughter to the doctor twice in the 3.5-4 age range for problems I thought were behavioral.

The first time, it was about pee accidents (when she'd been out of diapers for a long time); I wanted to make sure she didn't have a UTI or something. Nope, turned out she was just experimenting with how long she could go without using the toilet. Anyway, a visit to the doctor cleared that up for a while -- I think having me take it so seriously did the trick for her. She did go back to her experimenting later, but never to the same degree.

The second time, she'd fallen down and hurt her knee, and insisted that she absolutely couldn't walk even the tiniest amount. The doctor thought it was likely that she could walk but just chose not to; however, we decided to take it seriously in case there was something wrong. I actually had to go out and buy a stroller, because I had no idea how long it would take her leg to "heal," and it was obvious that putting her in the Ergo was genuinely painful so I couldn't reasonably carry her. On the up side, I have gotten some use out of the stroller later on, both for her and her younger brother, so it wasn't a complete waste of money.

So anyway, I know from personal experience how frustrating this kind of thing can be!

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#87 of 251 Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Village Idiot, thanks for thinking of us. And also for your awesome name, which made me snort.

Quote:
So anyway, I know from personal experience how frustrating this kind of thing can be!
I'm sort of torn between being totally frustrated that she MIGHT just be worrying us for nothing and totally impressed that she is so tenacious. She did not get that from me. I'm not proud of it, but I tend to be someone who ignores my needs and gives up easily - I would never have the nerve to say ok, you won't slow down and work with me, I'll MAKE you slow down. And we have. If that's what she's after, she got her message across, finally, loud and clear.

I can not carry her anymore, after three days of carrying her a lot. My back is just not responding well. In stores, she's riding in carts or my husband is carrying her. In the house, I just tell her she needs to walk and I walk with her. No limp, very little bobble sometimes. We're not mentioning limp or leg or walk or anything, just doing it.

After we hear from neuro to make sure she can start the meds for Dystonia while she's on the meds for tonsillitis, we'll start that and see what happens. I will update.

Thanks again.
#88 of 251 Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Wait--I'm confused. Was she diagnosed with dystonia? Or is this still just a maybe? I don't understand why there is talk of medication for something that is still unknown and still sounds like a behavioral issue. Is it more of a trial-and-error thing to diagnose a potential physiological problem?

I hope you find answers soon!
#89 of 251 Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

There is no test for dystonia (and there are different types, if she has it, as I understand it would be better for her if it's the type that responds to this med) so one of the ways to find out if that's what she has is to try the medication. Normally, I'd be a bit resistant to medicating for something we don't KNOW she has, but apparently this is part of the process.

I thought of something else last night, but I'm not sure if or how it's related. She's done this thing since she was a baby - we call it "scrubbing her knees" and I think essentially she's somewhat masturbating. I think it started as soothing herself with repetitive movement (given how young she was when she started doing it, and how much diaper she had on) and kind of evolved. She's gone through phases of doing it A LOT. She gets on her belly and pulls her knees up, then pushes down and out. She has not done this AT ALL since the limp started. Is it too much to ask that this might be some kind of repetitive injury? Is this worth calling the doctor about? Can you hear how desperate I am?
#90 of 251 Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

I think you should mention anything that you think might be pertinent.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page