What age is average for a child write their name? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 4.5 and can now write her name, herself, and knows the letters by heart. Her name Madeline. Last year, she had MAD down. We joked last year that we should have named her Ava because then she'd be set!
#62 of 80 Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM

I'm a former K/1 teacher.

Most kids came to school knowing how to write their name. It was not type written neat. Sometimes some letters would get mixed up or forgotten. By December all could do it consistently.

I'm currently an unschooler.

DD started to want to write her name at 3 (Olivia). She got pretty good at it quickly, but all of those straight lines would sometimes get mixed up, as in she would dot the L so it would look like OiLvia or OLLvia or something like that.

She just turned 6 and she writes her name beautifully. She is also sounding out and writing lots of things. By sounding out I mean "mouse" = "ms".

She can spell many words that she has asked us to spell repeatedly. Things like Mommy, Sam, Daddy, Nana, Opa, love etc...

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#63 of 80 Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 PM

I think there's a pretty broad range-3-5.

E could write her name (all caps) just before 3, and now at 4 can do all upper and lower case letters pretty adeptly. She knew all her letters quite early (ie by 2), but didn't start associating the sounds with the letters until she was 3. Now at 4 (in August)she can sound out words and writes short sentences like "the fat cat sat", or "we go to park" and words she comes across frequently.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#64 of 80 Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM

I would guess the average is age 4. My DD is 3.5 years and has known the letters in her name since her bday. She just started writing her name by herself recently.
#65 of 80 Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 AM

I have no idea what average is. DS will be 4 in 3 months and he doesn't write his name at all. He was, however, talking in complete sentences at 18 months, so I think some kids just develop an interest in writing earlier than others. He's shown no interest in drawing "pictures" either and instead loves drawing lines and shapes with specific colors.

I also suspect that parental involvement plays a role in this one. I know some parents that actively encourage their babes to write letters, and hold their hand over theirs and practice, etc, quiz them on the alphabet, read a lot of alphabet books, etc. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just not the approach I've taken. I feel like it's a bit academic for age 3. I'd rather he spend time in the garden or building a fort. I've inquired a few times to see if he had an interest in learning to write his name and he says "no" pretty emphatically every time. He sees some other kids doing it in preschool so I figure if he was interested, he'd let me know. He'll do it when he's ready, and when he has an interest.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#66 of 80 Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
i have volunteered in 3 K classrooms in two years and only 3 or 4 kids in a class of 20 could really write their name, rather than draw it. however like pp said by end of the year most of them could really write their names.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#67 of 80 Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Rena has been writing her name correctly since she's about 4. Nechama usually gets it right. Rivka can't really yet. Here it is a 2nd year preschool skill (age 4 - 5). All their names are 4 letters in Hebrew.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#68 of 80 Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM

DD is 3.5 and cannot yet write he name. She can spell it out loud. She can recognize all the letters in it and knows when it's her hame written out. But her fine motor skills are SO not there yet . DD1 wrote hers at 3 (but it's only 3 letters). DS was certainly 4, at least, as I recall.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#69 of 80 Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 AM

Dd is named Ada. When we have a son we plan to name him Cassidy. So I expect some variance!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#70 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
Dd is named Ada. When we have a son we plan to name him Cassidy. So I expect some variance!
Well, there might be some. I don't think it'll be that different though. Children adapt to the reality they're presented with, so if Cassidy doesn't think that his name is "long" or "hard," then he'll probably pick it up just as quickly as Ada did.

I say this because my parents made a big deal out of the fact that I tend to give my kids "long" names. How will she ever learn to write that?? was the response I got upon naming my first child Stephanie. Well, she did learn, and she was less than 3 when she got it. By comparison, my second child, Alexander, learned to write "Alex" but he was already well past 3. My fourth child goes by Tommy, and he could write that at 2.5, but by three he was writing all three of his names, Thomas Kieran plus his last name. Kid #5 is just now writing the shortened version of her name, Gabbi, and she turned 4 in September.

It depends on the child, too, of course.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#71 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM

My kid is 4 and I don't consider her to have acheived this milestone yet. Her name has only four letters; she makes two of them perfectly but the lower case "e" is very hard for her. She is left-handed and I think the "e" kind of goes the "wrong" way for her natural left-handed movement.

As far as I can see, my kid is the last one her age to master this. I know people have said 4-5 but then they all said their kids did it at 2-3, and that's been consistent with my observation IRL as well. I have no doubt she'll pick it up in a few months, and I don't believe she has to be "ahead" to be "normal" but I think the reality is that most kids master this by age 3, and just as many do it by age 2 1/2 as do it by age 4.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#72 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I think the reality is that most kids master this by age 3, and just as many do it by age 2 1/2 as do it by age 4.
Oh, I quite strongly disagree. I really think this is a late 3/4yo skill for most kids. That was what we saw in DD's preschool for sure. I have known very few 2yos who could write their name. Some of the children in DD's K class are still working on it.

Perhaps you have a lot of smart friends with smart kids, or a lot of friends who emphasize this skill.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#73 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Oh, I quite strongly disagree. I really think this is a late 3/4yo skill for most kids. That was what we saw in DD's preschool for sure. I have known very few 2yos who could write their name. Some of the children in DD's K class are still working on it.

Perhaps you have a lot of smart friends with smart kids, or a lot of friends who emphasize this skill.
Perhaps I do. I realized too late that my post might have come off wrong. I guess I'm just feeling a little defensive about my "late" kid maybe And perhaps counterintuitively just trying to be un-defensive and "admit" my kid is "behind."

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#74 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM

I teach kindergarten... used to teach preschool. Average would be 4. Ive taught some kids who could write it at 3 and a few 5 1/2 year olds who couldn't.

In our state, the standard is to be able to write their first name by the end of pre-k and both first and last names by the end of kinder.

DS will probably take longer because his first name is 11 letters long...last name is 8 letters long

As for asking how to spell things... my experience is that the average is 4-5. In my class, I tell the kids to write the sounds they hear. I let the children use their own invented spelling in order to reinforce the letter-sound connections they are making. I'm not so worried about correct spelling at this age because spelling rules are so abstract, and I still get a lot of kids in kindergarten who are just learning their letters and letter sounds. Correct spelling just wouldn't be developmentally appropriate for them.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#75 of 80 Old 11-04-2009, 11:46 PM

My ds can write his name pretty well now. He's 4.5. I never pushed it, but they practice a little at preschool.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#76 of 80 Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM

My dd is 4 (in August) and has shown NO interest in writing her name. Granted, it's nine letters long. Plus, our last name is French with an accent too. Anyway, she is getting very interested in letters right now and can recognize and make all of the letters and can spell mama, papa and Lily. I've never pushed it or suggested she learn to spell her name. She's coming to it at her own pace. I'm sure she'll learn it eventually!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#77 of 80 Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM

I teach kindergarten, and about half come in not knowing how to write their names. By the end of kindergarten, they all do. So I'd say 4-5.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#78 of 80 Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM

My DD was writing her name all basic block letters- AVERY in capitals by about 3.5, she picked up her last name about a month into Kindergarten, it's 6 letters long with three curvy "hard" letters. She is just now mixing in some lower case letters at 5 1/2, as she learns them in Kindy. DS is 2 and 10 months and now can spell his name out loud and recognize it, but has no interest in working on writing it.

I taught preschool for years, much of it in a multi-age 3/4/5 room and I would say that most of the kids had a good grasp of their own name by 4. HOWEVER, for the vast majority of the kids it was not very legible. Clear legible name writing with proper upper and lower cases, I won't expect until end of Kindergarten, beginning of first.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#79 of 80 Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
caj

Celeste learned how to write her nickname "Cece" by age 3, but the e's looked all wrong but it was legible and by age 4 she could write her given name. She recently turned 5 and she's learning to write her complete name, her second name is long but she's doing well; the surnames are short so she's getting that right, but she's having trouble with her second name.

Mommy to Celeste (5)
#80 of 80 Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM

My daughter Lissianna could recite the letters of her name at 2.5 and could write it. & her last name from memory at rigjt befoew her 3rd bday & 2mos past 3 she can recite the letters to her firs name 2t middle names & last.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page