What age is average for a child write their name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age could your lo write their name? Like not just copy the pictures, but actually know the letters, and write their own name, as well as ask how to spell words out and sound them out and write them? What age is average?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#2 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM

My child--3

Average, I'd say, is mid to late 4.

I'm just talking about writing the name here. As for "ask how to spell words out and sound them out and write them"--whole other question, I think. I don't really remember, but I think that was around 4 for DD, and somewhere broadly in the 4-7 range is normal. I think a lot of kids ask how to write a few common and important words, such as Mom, Dad, Love, around 4, but most are not trying to write anything complex till at least 5.

FWIW, my DD was writing well before she was reading well, which is not as unusual as I thought.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#3 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM

My daughter is exactly 3 1/2 and is just about able to write "Katie" correctly. She hasn't yet tried to write anything else, but she can identify all the letters of the alphabet and is starting to spell words in books and sound them out, if we encourage her.

However, she is in full-time preschool where they practice writing their name several times a day, and I am a professional editor who reads and writes for a living. I believe that has given her a big advantage and made her pick up writing much earlier than usual, and other than that, she seems like a fairly average kid.
#4 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD could write her own name shortly after 3. At that point she also knew all the letter sounds and could sound out short words IF she felt like it. Mostly she would just say she couldn't and refuse, though. She is 3.75 now and reading pretty well, both phonetic words and non-phonetic ones. She still says she "can't read", which I guess translates to "can't read every single she encounters".

She can spell many words and knows how to write most letters and numbers, but does not like to write. The only things I've seen her write recently are "Vivian" and "Mama", other than that she just draws zig-zags and tells me she's writing "funny letters".

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#5 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM

DD1 26 months ( 4 letter name--3 different letters)
DD2 32 months (5 letter name, 4 different letters)

This is when they could write their name clearly so that other could read it with all letters. One write in all capitals and the other mixed capital/lower case. Now at age 4- they both can write simple words, DD1 basic sentences (I lik catz- I see yu) and all the letters of the alphabet.

It is a 'goal' for the whole class by the end of PreK class- so age 4- 5 for average.

I think it would depend on 1. the child 2. the name length (obviously Bob is easier than Benjamin and Anna is easier than Rebecca) 3. the letters (some letters- s, z, v, R ,k, G , etc are harder to make: o and c are some of the easiest).
#6 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
At what age could your lo write their name? Like not just copy the pictures, but actually know the letters, and write their own name, as well as ask how to spell words out and sound them out and write them? What age is average?

for my DD she finally could write her name when she was 5 years old. I thought it was very late but teacher at kindergarten 2 years ago said its quite common. I found myself disagreeing with her when she said that.

My showed me one of his paper that he had written when he was 2 years old.. he wrote his name when he was 2 years old!!!!! I was VERY shocked! He said that his mom used to volunteer at a head start school so he went there and learned how to write at such a young age!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#7 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

My understanding is that the letters in the name are critical in determining what should be an average age to be able to write one's name with a given amount of practice. A name with no diagonals, for example, would be much easier. ELLIE is easier to learn to write at an earlier developmental stage than RYAN.
#8 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM

DS could write his name at about 3.25. He will be four in a couple of weeks and he can easily write anything that I tell him how to spell. He frequently asks how to spell full sentences, and I spell them out to him while cooking. He can also write simply CVC words on his own. He can draw a dog and write "Max" under it by sounding it out.

As I sit here though, he is currently snuggled up next to my whimpering because he has remembered a pair of tennis shoes he had when he was two and wants to get them back insisting his feet are now small enough for them. So, while he is definitely ahead in some areas, I am quite sure he is behind in some as well. Or maybe all four year olds are ridiculously irrational beings.
#9 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM

#10 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM

My child = 3
#11 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM

DS surprised me by writing out his name (ROBBY) when he was 3years + 7 months. He had recognized letters since before he was two and he NEVER wanted me to help him learn to write. So, I was completely overjoyed when he just did it when he was ready. After he wrote his name, I tried to teach him how to write other letters, but he would never let me hold his hand to show him or teach him any other way. One day a little before he turned four, he started writing every letter. I actually asked me to show him how to write a few letters he found tricky, like G,K, P. Now at early 4, he sits with his magnadoodle and sounds out CVC words and writes them on his own. He also asks me to write down words that are harder so he can copy them, like Happy Birthday Grandma!

It seemed for ds that the writing just needed to click. He had all the knowledge, he could sound out CVC words at 3 1/2, but something had to come together for the writing to begin. Now he loves to write words and his drawing has also taken off.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#12 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Mine did around her 3rd birthday. She started preschool at 3.5.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#13 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM

I think average is 4-5.

DD first wrote her name (diagonal and all) when she was 2. You wouldn't have recognized it unless I pointed it out to you, though. She's 3 1/2 now and has hardly made any progress. I'm not even sure she can still write her name (though she does type it and other words regularly). It's been a while since she's been interested in writing by hand.
#14 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Mine hasn't yet but she did write "Hi" a couple of weeks ago!
#15 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Mason started doing this shortly after he turned 4. He has known all his letters by sight since 18 months, but refused to try writing them until recently. He has also just started writing Mommy and Daddy, and asked how to spell his sister's name, which is 6 letters, and he wrote pretty well.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#16 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM

DS could spell his name at 20 months (and visually pick out the letters) and at 28 months, he can now write 2 of the letters in his name. I think he'll have the rest figured out soon.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#17 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM

My oldest was in Kinder, so she was 5. Her name has 7 letters total and uses 6 different letters. Also, she wrote two of the letters backwards until late 1st grade.

My youngest is writing her name already. She's 4.5. I say 'already' since DD1 was so old! Her name has 5 letters total, and 5 different letters.

DD1 had friends writing their names much younger. But they had simple, 4 letter names with repeat letters like Adam or Sara.
#18 of 80 Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 PM

2 yrs 5 mos. 5 letter name, 5 different letters.

Writing has really clicked for her all of a sudden--she's obsessed with writing the alphabet (upper case) in one straight line.

Mommy to DD 5-07
#19 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 AM

DD could write her name at 29 months and within a month, she could write pretty much anything I told her how to spell. She actually helped me write checks when she was 2 1/2. She learned to sound out words at a young 3 but she couldn't write phonetically until sometime in the last few months (she'll be 4 tomorrow). Recently, she wrote out her first "book" all by herself. But she doesn't do it all the time.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#20 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Dd#1 has an eight letter name with six different letters and she could write it without copying it off of another piece of paper somewhere btwn 3.5-4 y/o. Her preschool teacher led me to believe that this was late, but I'm not sure that it was. A lot of the other kids in her preschool class had names like "Al" and "Emma" which were, I'm sure, easier to learn to write.

I honestly can't remember when dd#2 learned to write her name, but she does have an "easier" name.
#21 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I think a gifted board is just about the worst place to ask that question. Most of us are here because we don't have "average".

That being said, I believe it's generally an expectation for the pre-K / Junior Kindergarten year (i.e. age 4) but one that's not met by all children.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#22 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 AM

I don't remember when my gifted child began writing her name, because I suck LOL. But my youngest is 3 and is writing her name. I don't know where she picked it up, since no one every taught her. She is also trying to sound out words and write them. I don't know if that's average or not, and I don't know for sure if she's gifted or not yet. But definitely very bright.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#23 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 AM

DS (3 3/4 yo) can not write his name.

He learned to spell the shortest version of his name (Tim) at around 2 1/2, which was just a bit before he started to read Bob type books. A little while later, he started typing and using things like letter magnets and stickers to put his name on things. He learned to spell "mom" and "dad" around the same time.

He is currently in the creative spelling stage, but does not write at all. He types and uses magnets, stickers, stamps, etc. He uses creative spelling for the longer versions of his name, for instance I've seen him type "time" and "timwe" for Timmy.

According to the PBS development tracker, late 4 yo seems to be pretty common.
Quote:
By the end of this year, many children can write a few words correctly from memory (e.g., their name and the name of a close friend or two; and common words, such as No, Yes, Love, Mom, Dad, and Dear).
from: http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdeve.../literacy.html

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#24 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 AM

My niece could write her name (5 letters) when she was just over 2.5 years though she often left off the last letter. My daughter has just turned two and can write only the first letter of her name (L) - I think it will be a while before she can write her whole name (7 letters)
#25 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM

My poor boy. WYATT is almost all diagonals. LoL poor baby. I haven't showed him how to write it. I got the whole Hooked on Phonics series on clearance at jc pennies for $11 each. So we're starting with the handwriting lessons which is vertical lines, horizontal lines, diagonal lines, and circles. Not really letters yet. My mom had the idea that I could teach him to spell his name by singing it to the BINGO tune w-y-att. And Wyatt is his name-o. He sings the ATT part. He is at the same level as my nephew (called my sister in fl. Told her about the clearance sell. She found one in time at her mall) they draw the o's pretty much on the lines, but often circle more than once. I just learned diagonals are difficult here at mdc. On the vertical lines and horizontal lines he can do the small ones already on the dotted lines (working his way down from starting at the big ones). But the diagonals he has only done the large channel offered in the Kumon book. See. I didn't even know that. I learned something new here again.
#26 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Right around her 3rd birthday.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#27 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
My understanding is that the letters in the name are critical in determining what should be an average age to be able to write one's name with a given amount of practice. A name with no diagonals, for example, would be much easier. ELLIE is easier to learn to write at an earlier developmental stage than RYAN.
I'd like to add here that there are different kinds of writing. At 2.5 (I think-- maybe three?), Bean could "write" his shortened name in the sand with a stick but he found it difficult to do with a pencil/crayon. BooBah could write with a pencil at three but couldn't spell her name until recently. Bella is the first of my children to do both without help before age 4.5 (she's three and can write 'Bella' in all capital letters). Bear can't spell his name but he knows the first letter, and can't write his name but can make lovely circles.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#28 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM

All of the kids in my son's preschool can write their names, and they are 3y10m to 4y10m.

My little one is 3y10m, wrote his name (Luka) before 3, and has been able to sound out and spell words for about 6 months. It's often incorrect (like lolepop for lollipop) but getting better. He's started spelling silent-e words right, like home. His handwriting is only barely legible when he writes words other than his name.

My oldest son is a lot more "average" than my little, and he learned to write his name (Julian) at 5 and started spelling words at 6.
#29 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Write their name or know the letters of their name? For my kids, they knew the letters of their name significantly earlier than they could write them.

Both of them could identify (not just name) the letters of their name by about 2 1/2. Writing? Dd was 3. Ds was 4. Ds had a fine motor delay, and his name was about the ONLY thing he could write and even then it was badly. (And his name has 3 letters with diagonals. Poor dd has 4 diagonals and a R. She solved the problem by writing her diagonal letters with curves and doing a lower case r with upper case everything else. And then reversing all her letters to accommodate her lefthandedness.)

Writing words hasn't come nearly as easily for either of my kids. They are truly bothered by the discrepancy between what they can read and what they can write. Ds is in 3rd grade, and I would say that his writing has really just taken off in the last 6 months. (I talked to his teacher yesterday, and he said that ds has excellent spelling and great ideas, but needs work on organization and penmanship. Now there's a surprise!) Dd could theoretically write, but won't try.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#30 of 80 Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM

I think if you really want to know "average", then this isn't the place to ask

I think average is probably by the start of K.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page