.oOo. May 2006 Mamas ~ I think it's time for a new thread! .oOo. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas. We just learned that LO needs to wear eye glasses and do eye patching (where you cover the good eye to get the weaker eye to work). I posted about it here if you'd like to read.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1181620

She has had one eye turning in for a while, so I knew something was wrong. I'm OK w/the glasses & patching, bc it could certainly be a lot worse. I just hope she's OK w/it. I am going to try to have us all just be very positive & matter of fact about it, so it just becomes part of life. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#62 of 101 Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Hi, ladies!

It's a small indoor trampoline. Hasn't gotten quite as much use as I was hoping, but it does get some!

Max, I commented on your other thread.

DH is semi-off work right now, which is a nice change from our fall - but not so nice financially. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude (he'll in all likelyhood be getting more work in February/March) and just deal with bills one at a time . . . and so far, we haven't been unable to pay anything.

DS1 continues to be his when he was good he was very very good and when he was bad he was horrid self.

DS2 (my May baby!) is still struggling with the adjustment to 3 kids a bit, I think. DS1 kind of ignores him a lot and pays a lot of attention to the baby. That's hard for DS2 and for me to watch

DD is doing great! She's much chunkier and longer than my older two were. Fun!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#63 of 101 Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Hi my May Mamas! We have been struggling here since just before the New Year. Unfortunately it isn't anything I can talk about online, but it is affecting our whole family quite badly. LO has been regressing and having violent outbursts as well as being super clingy and tearful. We are trying to do what we can for her, but it has been hard. Her SPD issues don't help, and so I have been trying to just be assupportive and loving to both kids as I can, without tearing my hair out in frustration

max - You're thinking about moxa (moxabustion) that goes along with acupuncture. It feels great to have done! I hope your LO gets through the glasses quickly.

Mary - I read your thread about the sleep ies and I wanted to send a hug. I'm afraid I don't really have any advice, but try to hang in there. Going from 1 to 2 babies was hard for us, but way easier than going from 0 to our one high-needs babe

Hugs to everyone!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#64 of 101 Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the replies & support mamas. We did our first day of patching yesterday and it went incredibly well. We just snuggled & read books & LO really seemed to enjoy it. (Individual, uninterrupted mom time can be hard to come by around here!)

Mary, I'm glad your accupuncture went well. I don't remember the time frame it would take for the baby to turn - did your accupucturist mention it? I think now you need a nice prenatal massage to relax!

Blue Lotus, yes - moxa!! That is what I was thinking of. I'm sorry to hear you are going through a tough time. I hope things settle down for you soon mama.

Mamabeakley, we have that sibling dynamic here too. My oldest plays very well w/ and is very sweet to LO, but has no interest in my daughter who falls in the middle of them. It breaks my heart to see it. We work on it constantly, but little seems to change.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

#65 of 101 Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Hi Max,

So glad the patching session went well. It sounds like you found the perfect "carrot"! The acupuncturist didn't really give me a timeline for the baby turning. I have another appointment this Friday, but I think I'll cancel. I don't have childcare and the trip itself is a long one (1+ hr to get to the office). In a way, it's just extra stress, and since I'm trying to avoid extra stress....!

Blue Lotus: more hugs, mama. Let us know if we can help.

Mamabeakley, that dynamic sounds rough. Your poor DS2...

I can't believe I'll have a baby in 2-3 weeks! Woah! I tried to pack the hospital bag today, but we have to bring everything here (think: diapers for baby, pads for mama, clothes, sheets and towels for baby--) and it barely fits into 1 small suitcase! Plus, I keep finding things on the list that I need to buy or wash or dig out. Guess the bag won't be packed for a few more days, lol!

We're feeling tense here. Having some issues with the person who rents out our studio. He hasn't paid rent in 4 months, and we can't get him out of the apartment until March (France has a law that says you can't throw out renters during the winter months) but of course we're still paying the mortgage and things are really, really tight. Sigh.

Hope everyone is well!
#66 of 101 Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Marylizah, I'm sorry you're feeling tense (for totally understandable reasons . . . ).

Max, I'm glad patching went well. Yes, that sibling dynamic is REALLY hard. I am thinking in terms of "my job is to make sure they don't get *stuck* here - it is normal for any relationship to go through ups and downs, but it would not be okay for this to be the dynamic for all of the next 12 - 15 years . . ." I've even said that out loud to DS1, and a variation of it to DS2. DS1 seems to get that he *should* play with DS2, at least . . . his new year's resolution was "find some games I'm willing to play with DS2."

Blue Lotus, I don't know exactly what's wrong, but I can tell from your posts on FB that it's serious, and I'm praying for/thinking of you, your DC, and your DH.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#67 of 101 Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Mary - Wow, time just seems to have flown by - I can't believe you are due so soon. I hope the last few weeks aren't too uncomfortable! How stressful about the tenantt, I hope it can all be resolved quickly. The last thing you want is all of that negativity and stress with a new babe Many hugs.

max - I'm glad to hear the patching is going well!

MamaBeakley - Thanks for the good thoughts. We really need a lot of prayers right now. The situation is perfectly horrible, and we all just want it resolved so we can get on with our lives ad help our kids (especially my May babe!) get through the trauma. Tomorrow is a huge day for us all, and I am honestly feeling really scared about the outcome. I am trying not to feel too terrified, but it is hard right now. I'll be glad to pm or email anyone who really wants to know what is going on a few more details. Basically right now I really don't feel comfortable discussing specifics especially online. I don't want to attract any more attention from the thought police...

Hugs to all and a nighty-night. Tomorrow is a big day, and mama needs to try to sleep as the filling to the sandwich of little people

#68 of 101 Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Blue Lotus, sending lots of love & healing energy out to you & your family. I hope you all find some resolution & peace soon. If you ever need to talk mama, or need anything else, we are here for you. It sounded like from your post today is an important day. I'll be thinking of you.

#69 of 101 Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Blue Lotus... I'm not sure what all is going on, but I could tell from your fb updates that your family is going through a hard time. I hope today goes the way your family needs it to!
#70 of 101 Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks for all the positive energy mamas! It is still stressful, but there are some baby steps in a positive direction occurring today. Then more waiting.

I am feeling the need to purge and clean the house to keep myself somewhat distracted,but it is time to start the bedtime routine

I'll keep you all updated. Hopefully this weekend the family can hang out together for a little while *cross fingers*

#71 of 101 Old 01-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Blue Lotus - baby steps are good. s

DD has not been sleeping well and is cranky. Teeth, I suspect.

I'm mentally fuzzy as a result. Must get to work! (Where's the whip cracking smilie?)

#72 of 101 Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM

Hello May Mamas! We're back from Disney, and let's just say it was a challenging trip. Dh threw his back out & was in constant, debilitating pain. Three of my four kids caught coxsackie virus. Dd(6) had it the worst w/high fevers & sores in her mouth, and then on her hands. Ds & LO had the fevers & sore throats. I then got a migraine w/vomitting. It was big fun. Luckily we had other family members vacationing w/us and they were a huge help, taking well kids to the parks, helping to make sure the kids who missed out got special treats, etc. This "vacation" certainly stretched our threshholds of parenting. Needless to say, we are very happy to be home! The kids are on the mend it seems, although LO is still struggling a bit.

Speaking of LO, she is a little trooper w/her new glasses! She wears them all day w/out complaint. We do patching for an hour and a half a day and she works w/that quite well. Hopefully we will see some results when we have our follow up in a few months. I guess children's eye sight can change/improve quite quickly at this age.

Blue Lotus, I hope things are going well for you mama.

Mary, I hope you too are doing better. Any change in the baby's position?

Hugs to all. :

#73 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM

Oh, Max, what a horrible experience!!! I hope someday you will all be able to laugh about the worst vacation ever, but in the meantime, many hugs to all of you. I hope everyone recovers quickly. You poor thing!

Not much new here. The good news is that baby is head-down. The bad news is that baby is head-down, because that means baby hasn't been born yet. And I'm really ready to meet this baby!

Our other big piece of news is that we bought a car! Yay! From an expat family moving back to Australia-- they were in a hurry to sell and we got an amazing deal. So I'm not worried about getting to the hospital anymore!

Blue Lotus, I hope things are calming down for your family and that your DD is adjusting well.

Love to the May mamas.
#74 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Oh Max, what a horrible trip!!!! I'm glad you are all home safe and sound. That is my worst fear, going on vacation with the kiddos and us getting sick. We leave for Mexico (Brad and I and 4 other couples) in 6 weeks, so I'm hoping any illnesses will be on their merry little way by then! Hope you are all better now

We are well here, hubby has been having some gastro issues, so lots of tests, but not finding anything which good AND bad. Poor guy just wants to feel better.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#75 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Hi, everyone -

Wow, Max, that is one for the history books!

Congrats on your car, Mary!

I just FINISHED CATCHING UP on financial record-keeping I hadn't done in 16 months. Wow! If I didn't have a huge CC bill to pay I'd go buy myself an Ergo . . . will have to wait until I do the taxes. But I'm going to go eat some ice-cream!

AND I fit into my size 10 jeans this morning :-)

But in general I am feeling kind of roller-coasterish and stressed. DH's cousin is in jail, his other cousin is pg and might place her baby for adoption (which could be a good thing in the end, I know, but the need for it is not). DH's parents are about to actually sell their home and move cross-country. Which leaves us living in a place we don't really want to be with no family nearby. I lost access to my website, then my computer broke down for a while, then I had to switch browsers. I have lots of interest in a CBE class I'm offering in February - but my usual space isn't available for one of the dates!

Yikes. Maybe I should just stick with the good news I started this post with.

And that for today, we are all healthy and relatively happy, in my house.

I'm grateful.

#76 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized I haven't posted here in ages. Max, what a horrible trip. Mary, that's great that the baby is getting ready to come out. Mamabeakley, hooray for jeans that fit (I won't even comment on the other stuff, since you are trying to focus on the positive!), Sydnee, is that a kid-free trip you are taking? To Mexico? Sounds wonderful. Blue Lotus, how are things going with your family? Is life settling down for you?

We are in the middle of a big rain storm and we are all ready for the power to go out. I'll be surprised if there is power at my school tomorrow. We had a snow day last week, so another day off because of an outage would make it feel like I'm on some sort of pseudo-vacation or something.

Nothing too exciting here. DH is FINALLY getting over the worst sinus infection I've ever witnessed. He's been miserable. Phoebe and I have had minor congestion from head clods, and her ears hurt one day and then were fine the next, so at least we haven't all been miserable.

Our power's wavering slightly, so I should get off the computer. Have a lovely evening!
#77 of 101 Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Mind if I continue my pity party? After posting about my vacation illnesses I then came down w/some kind of horrible flu. I was sicker than I've ever been in my life. I literally could do nothing but lay in bed semi conscious & get up to be sick. It was the first time ever that I could in no way take care of the kids. Luckily dh could work from home. And now, of course, it is spreading through the house. I was up all night w/dd (6) and this morning ds(10) wakes up to an explosive vomit all over the rug. Oh yeah, life is good here. I wish I could hire a nurse to come take care of us all, clean my house, and cook for us! What I need is a family doula!! Mamabeakley, there's a new sideline for you.

#78 of 101 Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Oh, Max, you poor thing. I wish I lived nearby, I'd bring a meal over and run some laundry for you!!! I hope everyone recovers quickly.

Mamabeakley, YAY on size 10 jeans! And YAY on getting financial stuff in order! And BOO to the not-so-great stuff.

Ecoteat, sorry to hear about the bad weather. We've been having an exceptionally cold and snowy winter here-- our electricity bill is really high. I'm looking forward to spring.

So, I'm STILL.FREAKING.PREGNANT. 40w5days today and absolutely no signs of impending labor. I'm feeling so depressed about it today, like this baby will never come. I know it's irrational. It's silly. But I'm so miserably uncomfortable and can't sleep and I just want the baby to be born!!!

And that's all my news. I'm nested out. The place is clean, everything is organized and ready to go, the freezer is stocked, the gas tank is full.... now, where's the baby??????

Ugh. I'm going to step away from the computer and go knit.
#79 of 101 Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks Mary. Just you saying that makes me feel better.

I sooo remember how hard those last days of pregnancy were. Each of my four was late. Hang in there friend. You'll be holding that sweet baby soon! (And keep knitting! It is the best cure-all. )

#80 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mary, I just shared this on Facebook, but it cracks me up, so I'm posting it here too. This is what you need! And no need to feel sorry for the forcast in Maine--I LOVE bad weather. I get all excited when there is an impending storm. I've been known to follow funnel clouds in hopes of seeing a tornado.

Max, how awful for your family to have so much sickness going around.

Everything's been pretty lovely here this week. I've been teaching my classes about human reproduction and it has been the most fun thing I think I've ever taught. The kids are naturally totally engaged and it is so liberating for them to be able to talk pretty freely about their bodies without and shame or other repurcusions.

I've been staying up too late, so I'm going to go to bed before I realize it's midnight again and I'm still on the computer.
#81 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

We are on the mend here. All slept through the night and no one is vomiting today. Woohoo! (Keeping my fingers crossed, bc dd(8) and dh still have not gotten it.)

Amy, whenever I read about your teaching I always wish my kids had you as a teacher! I love your enthusiasm and commitment to the kids. The world needs more teachers like you.

Mary, how's the knitting going? What are you working on? I learned to knit after I had my kids, but I always thought if I had learned earlier I would knit my babies everything! I have a super cute baby sweater pattern that has a hood w/ears like a little teddy bear. It is my most favorite thing I have made. If you'd like the pattern I'd be glad to copy & mail it to you.

Sydnee, your trip to Mexico sounds like so much fun!What part are you going to?

Mamabeakley, sorry to hear about all the stressful stuff going on. Sounds like you have some good positives to focus on too though.

Blue Lotus, thinking of you mama & hoping you are all doing OK.

BBM, always nice to hear from you. How are the midwifery studies going?

Have a great day everyone.

#82 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Happy Friday, mamas!! We are well here, no big news going on. This winter has been a bit brutal, VERY cold so no going outside this week which stinks. We are going out for supper with some friends tonight which will be fun, and then tomorrow I will be scrapbooking with some girlfriends just for the day. Nice weekend to stay inside

In kid news, Rachel won first place in an art contest at school. Out of 18 entries, there were 4 1st place awards in different categories, and she got it for her picture that she took! The theme was, "Beauty Is...." and she decided to take a picture of our cluster of birch trees in the backyard at night. It was a very cool photo! So now her pic gets sent off to the state level to be judged. Very proud of her! Emma drew a pic of herself and wrote, "Beauty Is.....Yourself", how cool is that?!! She was mad that she didn't win an award, but we're still very proud of her!

Max- Ugh, I will pray that your family heals quickly! My SIL and that flu run through her house, I couldn't belive how quickly everyone got sick Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get it. We are going to Playa Del Carmen, it's south (I think) of Cancun. We are super excited, as Brad and I have never been out of the US

ecoteat- Hope you are staying warm, are you expected to get some of the weather moving through the east?

Mamabeakley- WTG on losing weight! It's always so exciting!!

Marylizah- Praying that is happens soon, mama!!

Send some prayers/thoughts for me on Sunday. I had a HUUUUUUGE argument with Brad's sister, basically she was upset and took an email that I had sent completly out of context which just created this huge mess So, Sunday the whole family is getting together for a birthday, should be interesting!! Send me luck!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#83 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Max, I'm glad to hear you are coming out the other side of your family being so sick. What a miserable thing to have to deal with.

Sydnee, how great for your girls! I remember winning an art contest in 3rd grade and my painting was part of a show at the local art museum. It was one of the most memorable things about elementary school. I was SO proud!

I don't want to take the fun away from Mary, but I thought you all would like to know she had her baby today!

I had such a frustrating day at school today. The kids were wonderful, but everyone else was challenging. Schedules got changed at the last minute and there was so much scrambling and wasted time I wanted to scream. But then apologies were made and tired smiles shared and all of us teachers went home relieved that it was the weekend.
#84 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 PM

: Congratulations Mary!!!! :
I'm so happy for you mama. Can't wait to hear all about it.

(Thanks for telling us Amy. How'd you know?)

#85 of 101 Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
(Thanks for telling us Amy. How'd you know?)
I have a team of elves that travel around the world to keep me up to date on all the interesting goings-on.

And then they post them on Facebook.
#86 of 101 Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 AM

Gasp! Facebook preceeds the May Mamas thread?!

#87 of 101 Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Okay, now I got off my bu** and friended Max and Mary . . . !

I know I'm still missing some of you on FB though! I guess I'm not trying to maintain anonymity on MDC anymore since I have my business website in my sig - so feel free to friend me (Dawn Star Borchelt) if I haven't found you yet . . .

Max, I'm glad you're feeling better. We all have a very mild case of the sniffles, but our dog isn't eating this morning, which usually means he's going to start throwing up - yikes! And it's snowing, too.

Congrats, Mary :

Amy, enjoy the weekend! And Sydnee, I hope your family party goes smoothly. It is hard when someone is mad at you!

Okay, off to work I "go". DD has decided watching Mama work while Daddy and the boys are elsewhere doing something interesting is BORING. I can't wait until she and DS2 (my May boy) can get up and play together in the morning - they are both so awake and cheerful in the morning, while the rest of us try to catch up.

#88 of 101 Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Hi mamas! We are doing pretty well here - the major issue has 8hopefully* been resolved, and dh is back home! Can I say that was probably the worst month in my and DH's lives, ever? Now to trying to help the family heal and deal with all the repercussions...

Congrats Mary!! Can't wait to hear more about your new LO!

max - It sounds like you are having a rough start to the year too! I hope the family gets better soon and no one else gets ill. Are you guys taking any Echinacea or Zinc? Get some immune system boosters!

Sydnee - How awesome for your girls! I remember being in a similar art show when I was in grade school I was so proud and excited! And I am so jealous of your Mexico trip It sounds awesome.

Ack, gotta run and get ready to do some errands today. Have a great Sunday everyone!

#89 of 101 Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Blue Lotus, that is great news. I know you aren't in a position to share details of what happened, but it would probably be pretty amusing for the rest of us to share what we think might have happened. Not that I'm willing to, really, because I'd probably be WAY off and make an ass of myself.

Max, are you on fb? I was recently thinking about visiting some friends in southern New England and got excited about the thought of inviting myself to come meet you if you were near enough. But then I remembered where you do live and realized that it was probably too far out of the way to justify it to dh. Maybe someday!
#90 of 101 Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM

Hi Amy. No fb for me. This ongoing thread & email is about as far as I get for computer communications. I would love to meet you! Maybe some day we'll camp in your neck of the Maine woods.

The illnesses continue here. Can you believe it?! Dh is now recovering from his bout of the flu-like thing we've all gotten. LO is the only one who has not had it. (Knock on wood!) Yesterday I started knitting like crazy bc I just need something else to focus on. I am going stir crazy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page