Do you have an indoor swing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we live in Minnesota --- it's too cold for the playground for 5-6 months of the year. I was talking to dh about an indoor swing, putting swing hangers into a wooden beam (doorway) and attaching a swing. has anyone done this? has it worked for you? our dds are small, about 30 lbs. dh is concerned about the weight on the beam. my opinion is that it wouldn't be a problem since our kids are so light. what do you think?

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM

no, but I recently saw one in a catalog (one step ahead or right start, maybe?) and thought they looked so cool. I can't justify it here, though, b/c the kids have a swingset outside and it doesn't get that cold.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
WE do! DD had a ton of sensory issues when she was younger so we needed an indoor gym as well as outdoor stuff to do.

I had installed a heavy piece of wood with 2 loop hooks for use during labor as a kind of sling think to hang on. Didnt end up using it for labor but it works great for a swing. I bought a super cheap piece of stretchy fabric and tie it to the loops. DD and DS both love to swing, twirl, and bounce in and on it. She can even lay in it like a hammock.

DD is 5 and 45 lbs and is still using it fine. Because it is in a doorway the frame is strong and it was able to hold my big pregnant self leaning on it.
#4 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 PM

We got one from here: http://www.livingplaying.com/tp1104.html

Unfortunately we never put it up because our old house is so strangely arranged, every doorway area was too close for swinging to other things so it's in the box in the closet still.
#5 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Ikea has one that we've considered getting for our basement. I plan on attaching it to the sturdy wood beams when we get it.
#6 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have THIS swing from Ikea. LOVE IT! We mounted it from a beam, it says it holds 200+ lbs- we have it hanging in a corner of a room (instead of a doorway).
#7 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM

My DD's friend has one in thier basement and it is great fun. It is circle seat though not an actual playground swing.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#8 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 AM

OH MY GOSH YES.

Really, a swing has been the single most used piece of indoor gear we own. Ds is now closing in on 35 lbs and we'll upgrade our swing when he gets too big. We also like to have rings for him to hang from. Some friends have a higher ceiling and have a trapeze which is awesome. I can't say how good the indoor swing has been for us.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#9 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Oh, and if 30 extra lbs is going to be a problem for your beam, you are probably looking at some pretty severe structural problems... 30 lbs should be no problem. The beams in our last house could easily hold my husband (180?), no flexing. In this house we don't have any open beams (although dh plans to put up one to facilitate swing/rings stuff) so we installed a chin up bar in a doorway (250 lb capacity or something) and hung the swing on that.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#10 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 AM

This year, we turned our front porch into an "outdoor play area". We put up their swings from their swingset, and trapeze bar, and also put other "physuical" activity stuff, like their climber, rocking horse, etc out there.
Here is a quick pic I just went and snapped..and of course ds followed me out there, LOL!!! The middle swing isn't uneven, lol, it's just that ds had hit it and it swung over and back...lol..

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...jess99/003.jpg

CPST
#11 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 AM

We also have an indoor swing. We started with a little tykes plastic toddler swing when ds was 2 and then eventually got a wooden platform swing. Last year we go the IKEA rope ladder and pull up rings. We interchange them with the swing from time to time. From time to time we put a gym mat underneath but have had nothing but the best of times with it for the last six years. DS is 8 and about 56 pounds now. Definitely one of our best decisions...
#12 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 AM

I believe this is the indoor swing another poster mentioned from One step ahead: One note on this is that unless you have flush doorframes it requires you to bolt them into the doorframe.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

You could also purchase the individual replacement swing seats from a couple places online, I have seen just the swing seats at walmart as well. If you purchase large hooks from a home store you could use those in larger beams to support it.
#13 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

wow, thanks for all the input, esp. the pics! i'm very excited about this project now

(nak)

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page