What are you getting your 5yo for Christmas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 12-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is from us and 1 set of grands and includes his birthday (dec 29th)

Ed Emberley books
2009 Hess Car
Nascars
Magnatiles
Leapster with Pet Pals
Connectagons Treetops (hearthsong.com)
Hyperdash
Rush Hour Jr
Blockus 3D
Zingo
blutrack http://www.blutrack.com/
American Innovative Teach Me Time Talking Alarm Clock and Nightlight http://www.amazon.com/American-Innov...=2KY1H4HD3NTBU
Geotrax-Steamer and Samuel
Matchbox Mega Rig Pirates Ship http://www.amazon.com/MATCHBOX-Mega-...=2KY1H4HD3NTBU
Cordz
doodle track car http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...=255/568.0.1.1
Kleen Kanteen
watch
morphibian rc
pipsqueak markers
colored pencils
#32 of 39 Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 AM

DH and I bought DS a telescope, some Usborne art books, and pajamas (we get these every year). Here's the list he sent his grandparents:
IPod shuffle (DD has one and he's very jealous. . .our kids love music)
Digital camera
Scooter http://www.razor.com/products/cruiser-scooter.php
Helmet http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Alibi-You...By=addFiveStar or http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Trigger-Y...7645433&sr=1-1
Clothes for his build-a-bear Eeh Eeh Ahh Ahh

I've posted this on MDC a lot, but my DS's (and my DD's) favorite thing is his explorer backpack. We took a backpack and filled it with binoculars, magnifying glasses (in two sizes), flashlight, hat, granola bar (for energy), a homemade book that says "What I've seen" that he draws or writes in (you should see the pic of the ants eating the centipede), colored pencils for rubbings or writing in his book, I'm sure he got a camera which will also go in his backpack (we used to buy him disposable ones once in a while to take along). His backpack has a place for a drink where he carries his thermos. DH also wants to get him a pocket knife for the pack, but I think that I'll only let him take it to certain places so he can be watched while he's using it.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#33 of 39 Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

This has been a great thread! I ended up getting a few things mentioned here. That Haba Scale looks too cute, but I think I've already bought enough things now. From this thread, I ended up buying him that Lego Camera. It's a little expensive for us, but I think he'll love it. And last year my MIL gave him one of those Fisher Price (I think?) digital cameras, and it never worked. I had always promised him I would go get it exchanged at Target and never did. So, he is kind "owed" a camera!
#34 of 39 Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Wow...you mamma's go all out. No wonder dd (almost 6) has a hard time sharing for show and share at school after the holidays!
I wonder if we are the only ones who do so little?

From Santa: A waldorf doll made by his elves

From Me: Wooden fairies for her doll/fairy house
Some "Barefoot Books" (4 of them)

From DP: A lego set
Books that they will read together

From Grandparents: Skis (and hopefully that's it, but you never do know!!)

Stocking: flashlight, socks, a garden for the doll house, mini books (Ollies Ski Trip, The Snow Children, The Root Children, The Wind Children), playsilks, doll pjs, beeswax crayons and a hefty stack of drawing paper...oh and a big old orange!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#35 of 39 Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post
Wow...you mamma's go all out. No wonder dd (almost 6) has a hard time sharing for show and share at school after the holidays!
I wonder if we are the only ones who do so little?

From Santa: A waldorf doll made by his elves

From Me: Wooden fairies for her doll/fairy house
Some "Barefoot Books" (4 of them)

From DP: A lego set
Books that they will read together

From Grandparents: Skis (and hopefully that's it, but you never do know!!)

Stocking: flashlight, socks, a garden for the doll house, mini books (Ollies Ski Trip, The Snow Children, The Root Children, The Wind Children), playsilks, doll pjs, beeswax crayons and a hefty stack of drawing paper...oh and a big old orange!
I can't believe the amount of stuff a lot of children get for the holidays. My kids get 3 things from DH and me (a big gift from santa, a book, and pjs) then their grandparents usually send one present each (they have a lot of grandparents because of multiple marriages).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#36 of 39 Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
My DD is five. She is getting:

Qwirkle game
Melissa and Doug sticker set with, like, 600 stickers
Find-It game
Chicken Socks clothespin dolls kit
Hula Hoop
Marble Run
Probably a book
Maybe some new tights

And in her stocking:

Keychain with her name on it
Flashlight
Tape Measure
Wooden whistle
Coloring book
Markers
Stick-on glow in the dark stars
Personalized name stamp
Stamp pad
Our dd who is 5 either already has or is getting most of this list for Christmas! We have simliar kids or like to buy similar things, right down the the Melissa and Doug 600 sticker set I bought yesterday! Have you bought the M&D colouring pages? We LOVE them around here---they're beautiful and on good paper that can handle markers if dd is in a marker phase. Best of all, they're non-commercial characters that dd still loves!

4 kids under 10
#37 of 39 Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son got two toy buildings (dollhouse and the school from High School Musical) that we scavenged from the trash in October, so I am giving him a set of dollhouse furniture.

He frequently watches the 3 Wallace & Gromit shows we taped off PBS with pledge breaks years ago, so when I saw at Costco a DVD of those plus 2 more he's never seen, I decided to buy that. It will be easier to use than the tape.

Last night I remembered how he's been complaining that he's tired of the wall hangings in his room, which have been there all his life, so I made a fancy certificate promising that I will take him to choose new fabric and make him 2 new ones. They're just patterned poly-fleece with a casing sewn along one side that slips over a strip of wood that hangs on 2 nails, so they're easy to make and to switch. The certificate will be in his stocking.

Also in his stocking will be a small wooden helicopter and a raspberry Panda Candy stick.

His dad, grandparents, and uncle each will give him approximately that much stuff, and a few family friends will give him one gift each. I know at least two people are planning to give him dolls or furniture for his buildings.

Aquarius and Uno are great card games for 5-year-olds, but we already have them.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#38 of 39 Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 PM

My 5 year old is getting:

Lego City corner
Crayola art case (like a big wooden briefcase full of pastels, crayons, markets, etc)
Pop up soccer goal
Bendaroos
Mini animal stampers
Bakugan starter set

To share with younger brother:
Imaginext Dragon World Fortress + 2 accessories
books, I think 6 paperback picture books

In stocking:
rudolph pez
m&ms
2 small lego sets
probably a small calculator
#39 of 39 Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 AM

My 5yo DS is getting (from us and all family members):

a pogo stick (the one thing he asked for)
dress-up clothes
a guitar (not a proper one, but I think a bit better than toy quality - my sister is getting this for him)
hopefully a 'Knifty Knitter' if I can find it (he loves knitting)
stocking - art supplies, a bit of candy, a few little toys like spy glasses
pjs and an outfit
a few books
a make-your-own-snow etc science kit
probably a magic kit, but haven't bought it yet
a sock monkey if I manage to finish it in time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page