Age appropriate Wii games for 7 year old? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mario Kart is a huge hit here with my 6.5 and 4.5YO. My oldest also loves the Lego games and the whole family LOVES New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I highly recommend that one, especially if mom and dad grew up with the original SMB.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#32 of 42 Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Thanks Hey Mama! I assume the max number of controllers is 4?! Yes, I will sync them if they do bring their owns. I plan on dividing them into teams (2 each team) by random number drawings. Then re-draw after each game so they can pair with different boys throughout the party. One of the kids is brining his Super Mario Bros... gonna have fun!
#33 of 42 Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM

My oldest DS is a young 8, but we've had the Wii since he was 6 and he's always been its biggest fan. I agree with whoever said that the Wii was never a sit-down game system for their son. That's the way it is here; no matter what he's playing, he's always jumping around. Super Mario Galaxy was his early favorite and he easily got all the way through without help when he was 6. His brother, who is 4 now, can play it with help. Mario Kart is also loved, as are the Lego Star Wars (great for the 4 year old) and Lego Bat Man games (violence in these is very cartoony of the legos flying everywhere variety). You can also play GameCube games on the Wii and the old Animal Crossing and Pikmin games were others he loved at 6 (and still does). Marble Mania is another Wii game the 4 year old loves. We find the New Super Mario game to be much harder than Super Mario Galaxy and more frustrating, even for my older son, though the multiplayer feature is nice.
#34 of 42 Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

My 6 YO really likes the basic Wii sports, Mario & SOnic at the winter olympic games and Wii Music. She like the Wii fit stuff a little but does get frustrated with some things. Both the winter sports and Music package use the balance board.
#35 of 42 Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Animal Crossing is very popular with my 7 and 9 year olds, and there is no danger of an adult doing better than the kids, because the game is VERY tedious for grownups and only one person can play at a time, so you couldn't play along with your child. There is no violence at all in Animal Crossing. It could be played sitting, but my kids move around a lot as they play.

For the PP who was considering Animal Crossing for a 5 1/2 year old, be aware that it does require reading to play. A big part of the game is interacting with other characters, and all conversation is text on the screen.

ZM
#36 of 42 Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 PM

We just got the boys a wii for xmas, too. They both enjoyed wii sports and Tony Hawk Ride until ds1 got Lego Star Wars for his 7th birthday (a little over a week ago). Now that's all they want to play. My 4 year old was the bowling champion on wii sports. I'm going to look into Sports Resort and Outdoor Challenge to get them back into physical type games. My mil bought them Super Paper Mario and it wasn't a big hit, but maybe that didn't give it enough of a chance.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#37 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 AM
spu

my 2nd grade twin girls love sports resort (as does my 3 yo DS). we just ordered active life outdoor challenge:

http://www.amazon.com/Active-Life-Ou...3&sr=8-2-spell

we're new to the wii, so we're looking around a lot too!

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
#38 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 02:27 AM
jdg

You can also try Dance Dance Revolution for a child who has some decent coordination. That game is all movement, so no fears about kids just sitting! It's basically a mat that you put on the floor with up-down-right-left arrows and you have to step on the correct arrow at the right time, as prompted by the screen. Each song lets you pick the "level", so you can choose easier levels and work your way up.

Althetrainer - yup, a max of 4 for most games. None of them allow more than 4 to my knowledge, and some games have lower limits.

rainbowmoon - the bowling game is part of Wii Sports, which comes with the Wii, so you automatically get that one. Bowling is much more fun when the "ball" only weighs as much as a remote!

Jackie
#39 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Mario cart
Super Mario World
#40 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
You can also try Dance Dance Revolution for a child who has some decent coordination. That game is all movement, so no fears about kids just sitting! It's basically a mat that you put on the floor with up-down-right-left arrows and you have to step on the correct arrow at the right time, as prompted by the screen.
It's really fun, and a great work-out for MOMMY, but I'm not sure that it would be good for a 7 year old. My 6 year old has trouble playing it and always wants me to play the same song over and over again (the tutorial song).
#41 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Animal Crossing is big and you can go online with it and go to friend's towns and interact with friends.

Wii SKi is great. You do not need the balance board for it but it does make it more like skiing. There is a newer version of it out but I have not seen it.

My 7 yr old DS loves all the Lego games. He plays Wii Resort a lot.

I play Wii Fit the most and my 4 yr old likes to jump in and play the mini games too.

Raving Rabbids is pretty crazy but has all the potty humor a 7 yr old boy could want. It is most fun when you have a group playing.
#42 of 42 Old 01-17-2010, 03:08 PM

My 8 yo friend wipes the floor with me in bowling. And tennis can be cooperative against the computer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page