Age appropriate Wii games for 7 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We finally got Wii for the holidays. (fit plus and balance board) The adults are having a great time with it. Our almost 7 year old find it fun sometimes, frustrating other times. He gets unhappy if he can't match or top the adult score.

He is very advanced with reading, math, etc... but emotionally still an almost 7 year old. We need some age appropriate non violent games. If they use the balance board, even better, as we never intended to have a "sit-down" video game system.

What we are considering:
Wii Play (mixed reviews)
Wii Lego ???
Endless Ocean

ideas?
#2 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM

I know you're not looking for sit down games, but A Boy and his Blob is really good. Our bright 5 year old likes the mental challenge. It's about figuring things out as you go. No rush or fast paced music. It's very sweet and makes the young player have to problem solve.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#3 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Wii Play is fun but it has it's limits...I personally love the cow racing!

Lego...I assume you are meaning like Lego Star Wars or Lego Indiana Jones? Those are fun and my kids like to play them but I wouldn't put them in the non-violent category.

MarioKart is the most fun game in my opinion. I think it's easier for kids to play it with standard controllers rather than the Wiimotes.

I haven't done any of the games with the balance board but my mom nannys 8 yr old twin girls and they like the Mario vs. Sonic Olympic Games.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

our boys got a wii this Christmas as well. To be honest I didnt think it was going to be as much fun. We have bought several of the sports games(besides the one it comes with) so we know have a few different sports like ping pong and archery and they seem to be pretty mellow as in no violence and definately no language issues. My boys are sports enthusiasts so they really like it. I've heard good things about the lego ones.
#5 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 PM

My 7 year old finds it impossible to play any Wii game sitting down

We don't have the balance board, but DS1's favorite game is Mario Kart. It's a racing game. It easily meets my standards of age-appropriate, and is super colorful and fun and addictive. Fortunately for him, I am terrible at video games, so he can beat me easily.
#6 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Wii Sports Resort is the favorite in our house. My kids work up a sweat playing it and never sit down.
#7 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

ANyone try Endless Ocean?

I really wish Lego still made non-violent games. We have Lego Loco (PC based) but it runs best on win 95 or Win 98 ... which we no longer have.
#8 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
Wii Sports Resort is the favorite in our house. My kids work up a sweat playing it and never sit down.
Yep, I asked for it for my B'day back in October and we have not quit playing it ever since. The bowling is so much better than regular wii sports!

All kids around here, ds included LOVE the lego games - star wars, indiana jones. But they are the kind of games where you sit and play, most definately not up and moving.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#9 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM

I'll second A Boy and His Blob and Wii Sports Resort. Mario Kart is also still a hit here after two years (DS is 6-1/2). We do have Lego Star Wars and Lego Indy, but they definitely include guns and violence.
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#10 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
ANyone try Endless Ocean?
it wasn't a big hit here. My kids find it slow moving and dull.

Mario cart is my kids very, very favorite. I highly recommend buying two steering wheels for side by side racing fun. This is Wii game that gets played the most at our house and that they never get tired of.

Both my kids beat me every.single.time.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#11 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM

As already mentioned, Endless Ocean is awesome! (but I love scuba diving and it is slow, but the best part is it teaches you the proper names of fish and sea mammals and ocean birds)

World of Zoo and the Mario Kart games have been popular with my nephew.
#12 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM

subbing

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#13 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM

My seven year old likes singing along with Beatles rock band (a gift *I* got for xmas, ). There are other singing types of games with songs he might recognize more readily, though . . .

My son got Rampant Rabbids (?) for xmas, and my daughter can play it and thinks it's funny. There's lots of potty humor in it, and the opportunity for lots of movement.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#14 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moved to The Childhood Years

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#15 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Is Wii Sports Resort good enough to spend the extra money on the wii motion plus things for all the controllers?

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#16 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 PM

mainly as I am thinking about getting DS a Wii for his 6th bday. (DP is totally opposed but I think DS would LOVE it). Is 6yo too young? The car & ocean games sounds like something he would love. It absolutely can't be violent though as he will "act it out". What other games would you recommend for younger kids? What is the balance board about?

ETA- does anyone have the bowling game?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#17 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Santa sure seems to have been busy building Wii systems this year! We got one too.

Outdoor Challenge has been a ton of fun to play. It includes an exercise mat (kind of like dance dance revolution) and includes games such as rollerskating, mountain boarding, log jumping, minecart racing, jumprope, sprint. It's super active and in addition to the multi-player direct challenge, also includes a team function where you have to work together to complete the course. Our 7 year old loves it!

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#18 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post
Is Wii Sports Resort good enough to spend the extra money on the wii motion plus things for all the controllers?
Sports Resort is so much fun. Much better than the sports games that come with the Wii. If you like those games, you will love Sports Resort.

joy.giflurk.gif

#19 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post
Sports Resort is so much fun. Much better than the sports games that come with the Wii. If you like those games, you will love Sports Resort.
Yep it's worth every penny (and the extra sensor you have to buy ) We actually don't even play the regular wii sports anymore.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#20 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Animal Crossing is extremely popular amongst so many kids that we know.
#21 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 AM

are there any dancing games?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#22 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
mainly as I am thinking about getting DS a Wii for his 6th bday. (DP is totally opposed but I think DS would LOVE it). Is 6yo too young? The car & ocean games sounds like something he would love. It absolutely can't be violent though as he will "act it out". What other games would you recommend for younger kids? What is the balance board about?

ETA- does anyone have the bowling game?
IMO, 6 is a bit young, but it depends on the personality of the child.

We got a Wii and a Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. It was really the grown up gift to each other, as both dh and I want to work out more. The balance board comes with the Wii fit. it's a wireless board that measures your balance (and weight - it creates an avatar that is as plump as you are!). There are games with it that require you to shift your balance, such as snowboarding and ski jumping. it also uses the board for step and hula hoop. It also has some Yoga and Strength Training exercises that measure your balance while you're doing the poses/exercises.

Dd is 5 1/2 and finds the Wii Fit frustrating. She will play the basic Wii Sports sometimes - but not very well. Her strategy for tennis for example is simply to wave the controlling around as fast as she can. Mostly she's frustrated because other people are now using the TV a lot more! I think dd might enjoy Mario Kart and probably Animal Crossing, but I don't know if I want to go there.

Ds is 8 and loves both the basic Wii Sports & the Wii Fit. Given his personality, it's a great fit for him. He loves seeing if he can beat his own highest score. He does the training on the Wii Sports stuff and is now better than I am at a several of them. He loves beating his mom! The Wii Fit has some great stuff for him and some stuff that's quite hard for him. It was painful to watch him try the Step Routine (he does have some mild dyspraxia, so knowing where to move his body is space, and moving in rhythm is a real challenge).

If you get the Wii Fit Plus, you don't need the Sports Resort. There are a lot of cool games on the Fit Plus.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#23 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
mainly as I am thinking about getting DS a Wii for his 6th bday. (DP is totally opposed but I think DS would LOVE it). Is 6yo too young?
We also got it mostly for adult exercise. But now that it is here, DS is using it also.
#24 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM

My little cousin ( I think he is 9) LOVES the tony hawk game (although i'm sure it's still pretty expensive). But you actually stand on a "skateboard" (like the fit board but shaped like a skateboard) and he does all kinds of tricks and it's really helped his balance as well!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#25 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM

I think endless ocean is cool and relaxing but my 6 year old got bored and frustrated with it pretty quickly as did his 7 year old cousin.

Sport Resort is big around here and has been fun for everyone. There is a game on Resort called Swordplay in which you try to knock your opponent down or off a platform with a sword. If you're trying to steer clear of ANY violence, that particular game on Resort may be a deal-breaker.

We also like MarioKart, Block Party Bash (?), Cooking Mama.
#26 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

I just got New Super Mario bros and its loads of fun. I also orderd BOSS controller covers from amazon the day I got it - they make playing it (and other old-school type games) SO much easier.
#27 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
This is DS'(age 7) new fave game! DH loves it too.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#28 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post
One comes with it so you only have to buy one extra one for 2-player gaming. I think it is worth it!
#29 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 AM

We also got Wii for our 7-year-old this Christmas. We have the basic Wii sport, Mario Kart, Smarty Pants, Monster Truck Mayhem, Ben 10, ATV, & a game for DH (Call of duty 3). I have just bought two more games from Walmart: Sea Monsters and Supercross. After reading the reviews off Amazon.com I am going to take these two unopened games back. I plan on getting the Big Brain Academy which will be more educational. DS likes speeds and sports but I think we need a good balance.

I have a question about the contrtoller... how many controllers can be used at once? We are having a Wii birthday party for DS this weekend. We have only two controllers. But if the system will take more than 2 controllers at once I may ask his friends to bring their own controllers to make the games go faster.

Al
#30 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They can bring controllers but you will have to sync them to you system.

I got Wii Fit Plus for Christmas and my 8 year old loves it. She has tried all the games on it at least once. We bought Carnival Games and Beach Games for Christmas and the 6 and 8 y.o. love to play those. I also got Mini Racing for $10 but they seemed frustrated by that. Wii Sports is still popular here as well. The other games we have bought are old school Nintendo games but they don't have much patience for them, that's more for me

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page