So, about Barbie... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Actually, a third option would be to pack you child w/ a bag of approved wooden toys, etc. and send the child w/those toys. You could tell your child not to play with anything else except the toys from home.
That is not an option at our Y. They don't allow kids to bring toys from home. I think it's because they can't be sure that the toys people bring in are safe, and it would be too much trouble to keep track of which kid brought which toy.

ZM
#32 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 02:00 AM

I'd write a heart felt nice letter to the daycare director about how you felt. I'd talk about how you feel the Barbies are distracting kids from the wonderful crafts and exercise offered, and the type of image Barbie represents, etc.

I wouldn't get all up in arms, or bent out of shape, but if everyone just took the attitude that everyone else must love the Barbies than even if no one really likes them they would stay. There is much to be said for speaking up against the status quo.

Then once you've said your piece, I'd let it go. It is annoying, but it is also inevitable. As our babies get older, it gets harder and harder to control what they get exposed to. If it's not the Barbies at the Y, than it's the video game at Wegmans or the Thomas train table at Barnes & Noble or their friends house.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#33 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 AM

I'd have faith that my home values will trump an hour or two of Barbie a week.

I really dislike Barbie. I don't like the image, I don't like the toys, I don't like the clothes, I don't like the fact that the little shoes always get lost and I think they are boring. That being said, I wouldn't ban Barbie in our house. (Thankfully, dd doesn't care for Barbie, so it's a non-issue.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#34 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I'd write a heart felt nice letter to the daycare director about how you felt. I'd talk about how you feel the Barbies are distracting kids from the wonderful crafts and exercise offered, and the type of image Barbie represents, etc.

I wouldn't get all up in arms, or bent out of shape, but if everyone just took the attitude that everyone else must love the Barbies than even if no one really likes them they would stay. There is much to be said for speaking up against the status quo.

Then once you've said your piece, I'd let it go. It is annoying, but it is also inevitable. As our babies get older, it gets harder and harder to control what they get exposed to. If it's not the Barbies at the Y, than it's the video game at Wegmans or the Thomas train table at Barnes & Noble or their friends house.

I have to agree...I know its incredibly frustrating but there's only so much we can do. If we are so serious about limiting what our kids are exposed to we will drive ourselves nuts.

When I first read the original post I thought of a Christian family who shelters their children from the realities of life. I realize that Barbies aren't on the same level as drinking and drugs, but what will happen if you shelter your daughter from everything you feel is bad then like another poster mentioned, she will latch onto it the first chance she gets.

I would also encourage you to look at why you don't like Barbie. Is it the image she portrays? What if your daughter really enjoyed playing with the Barbies? Is there another Barbie type doll you can buy her that gives a more positive image but still allows her the pretend play?
#35 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 AM

I was not allowed Barbies growing up. But when I went to play at my cousins or my friends' houses (all of whom had Barbies), my mother didn't call ahead and say, "Please put your child's Barbies away while my daughter is visiting." You can control what happens in your home, but your child will come in contact with things you don't approve of. Honestly, playing with Barbie a couple of times a week for an hour or two didn't make me wish I was 8 ft. tall with enormous.... well, you understand .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#36 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

You think Barbie is evil, but a lot of other families just think Barbie is fun. If you have them removed, someone else will be upset. The Y can't please everyone. Maybe it just isn't a good match for your family.
#37 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM

I don't belong to the Y, so I don't know how your letter will be received. A nice letter explaining how you feel is fine, but I wouldn't necessarily expect compliance.

I don't love the daycare at my fitness club, so I don't use it. I miss out on the bellydancing classes and the postural fitness classes because of it, but oh well.
#38 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 12:20 PM

I have to say, I have a personal dislike of Barbie, even though I probably had 20 of my own, I had the corvette the horse, the news stand, no house though. I LOVED my Barbies when I was younger.

I dislike them now because I do worry a little that it may bring out something, somewhere down the line. But honestly, as a PP said, you have to trust that the values YOU teach your child are FAR stronger than the little time spent with Barbie. Because when she's 5 or 8 and goes to her friends house, chances are she's going to encounter a Barbie.

You know something else. NONE of my Barbies were EVER "Super Models" They were all moms, and had jobs. Just like my mommy, they didn't 'need a man'. (my mother was divorced when I was 'barbie age')

And MUCH to my dismay, my 4 yr old has three of her own Barbies. She might play with them once a month....and that's only if she is playing with her doll house (not Barbie, but a large plastic hand-me-down that fits not only barbies but stuffed animals too

I guess this is just a battle I wouldn't pick, and would instead focus my passion and energy on instilling a strong sense of value, self-worth, and self love in my daughter.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#39 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Seriously? You are going to right a letter that about the toys your daughter played with in a private chid care center that you personally chose to place her??

I say shame on you for not inspecting the place first to make sure that the values of the child care center were in line with yours. Even the most cursory inspection and an interview with the providers would have told you that there were Barbies (or any other toy of which you don't approve) available for play. How hard would it have been to have asked in advance? How hard would it have been to take 5 minutes to tour the center and look at the toys available for play?

If you are going to choose to leave your child in someones elses care then it is *your* responsibility to make sure that the care meets your level of demand. To just frop your child off with out any research is unfathomable to me. If you feel Barbies are "dangerous" then you should be doing your due diligence.

I have no issues with dolls in general but even so I really liked this post:

Quote:
Have a little faith in your child or do some research next time.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#40 of 43 Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM

I feel the same way you do about Barbie. I have a spouse of a relative that buys dd Bratz dolls every year for Christmas, and I end up giving them to a toy drive. I would talk to your dd about the Barbie and expalin that iit is make believe and although it may be fun to play with her at daycare it's really not an appropriate toy. Our kids have mostly wooden, educational, natural toys as well, most of their friends do as well so I don't have to worry about that so much. My dd knows that Barbie, Bratz etc are not very good toys to play with so she doesn't ask or play with them willingly. Good Luck!

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#41 of 43 Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I'd file this one under "battles not to pick" and move on.
I think, since it's important to YOU, it's worth fighting for. We all have our standards and values, and this is one of YOURS, so I'm not going to tell you it's not worth dealing with.

That being said, for a long time I was against Pokemon. But DS loves them. His friends love them. The cards have helped him learn to read, and develop social skills like bargaining and trading and sharing.

I still dislike Pokemon cards. I think they're dumb. But you know what? When I play with the cards with DS, he is so happy I have my own deck, even.

He doesn't play with them a lot, and for him they are more of a social currency than anything else. So I let it go. I wish I could have found a way to not let him have them and still feel included when his friends play with them, but I couldn't.

I'm not saying to let it go. I'm just sharing my experience. I wish you good luck!

Also, I'm sorry some of the replies that you are getting aren't very kind or respectful. I want you to know that I support you completely. If we don't raise these kinds of issues, consumerism directed towards our children will never change
#42 of 43 Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM

Shortly after I read this post the kids and I went to visit my aunt. After a while she brings some toys up out of the basement for the kids to play with, and low and behold it's Barbies with this HUGE barbie camper thing. Instantly my dd and 2 yo ds start diving into the Barbie pile. I was very proud b/c dd looked at each Barbie and ended up pushing the dolls to the side and played with the camper and the stuffed animals. She would rather play with other things than Barbie when given the choice.

Like I said, explain to your child the reasons you don't like BArbie and eventually she will realize it herself.

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#43 of 43 Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM

So, have you decided to write a letter or speak with the director? Honestly, I don't think they are going to get rid of the dolls for just one family.

Maybe you can offer to donate some dolls that you think are acceptable to replace the Barbies.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page