Tourette Syndrome - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2002, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not entirely sure where this should be posted, so moderators, feel free to correct me. I posted it over in Parenting Issues last night, but I've begun to feel that perhaps it should be here, so I'm going to cut and paste it:

Does anyone have any knowledge of, or experience with, Tourette Syndrome?

I have suspected that my 6yo ds has Tourette's for a while now. He has a few physical tics, and sometimes minor verbal ones as well.

At the beginning of the school year, his kindergarten teacher had the school nurse check his eyesight because one of his tics involves squinting his eyes.
His vision checked out as normal. I know that transient childhood tics are not uncommon, so I just dismissed them, and tried not to draw his attention to
them. But, due to the teacher's concern, I looked up some info on the web and found some sites about Tourette's. Then it was obvious to me that ds
probably was affected.

When most people think of Tourettes, they think of the verbal tic which involves involuntary swearing. However, this manifestation of the disease is actually
quite rare. And most people with Tourette's actually have a much milder form. Often so mild that they go undiagnosed.

Ds is a bright and well adjusted child, but he does have some characteristic tics. As I said, the teacher did express concern earlier in the year. Not that his
behavior at school is a problem. But today she called me and said that she had noticed an increase in his tics and had asked the school nurse to observe
him. The nurse got on the phone, and we discussed the Tourette's thing. At the level he seems to be affected, I'm not sure how much good a diagnosis
from a doctor would do, although it may be wise to give the doctor a chance to possibly rule out other things. The nurse suggested that I do mention it to
his doc, and I plan to do so, but I definitely don't want ds to be present when I do that.

Oh, I'm going on a bit here, but I found it all a bit upsetting today, although, as I said, it is something I have suspected...

I guess I am just wanting to know if anyone else has been through this, or has any information to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2002, 02:06 AM

hi. i was just searching for info on tics and tourettes and saw your post. how is your daughter doing? i have a 4 1/2 year old son who had a thing with his eyes months ago....it disappeared for a while but now he seems to blink alot. i am not sure what is going on but i am pretty sure it is not his vision. just wondering what info you have gathered on your daughter's symptoms. thanks,patti
Old 08-11-2002, 02:09 AM

sorry....meant your so. i get confused when reading ds or dd.......

User Tag List