advice? 5 yo "ruining" sibs artwork - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We like to use both sides of the paper too and It does cause problems when the kids don't realise that they are writing on the back of something important.

I have taken to making books (the kids call them colouring books) with the paper and they are allowed to draw in their books.

They were really easy to make, I used a sheet of card for the back and front covers (cut from a cereal box) then punched holes in the card covers and whatever paper I had to hand. Then used string to tie the whole thing together. When I get more paper I can hole punch it and add it to the back of the book and every so often we go through and take out the fully used paged.

The kids had fun personalising the covers with drawings and stickers and are pretty good at sticking to their own book.

They are easy to grab when we go out too.
#32 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In addition to the suggestions to make art work a supervised activity, I'd talk to the older kids about doing some art WITH the 5yo.

Like go to the store and have them all pick a color-in poster to do together (and talk with the older kids in advance that just as you were patient with them learning drawing, they'll need to know that the poster might not end up "perfect" but will still be a "good" picture.) Or have them make a garden of tissue paper flowers, where it doesn't really matter where each flower goes.

Or put a huge piece of paper on one wall to be a graffiti wall. The only rule is that you can't write over other people's drawings. You can draw inside the drawings, you can draw right next to, but not on top. Parents and guests should be encouraged to use it too.

But most importantly get the older kids in on the idea and get their ideas for ways to get the little one involved without it being a mess. And reassure them that you're also taking action to protect their individual work by making art time supervised for the 5 yo.
#33 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
We like to use both sides of the paper too and It does cause problems when the kids don't realise that they are writing on the back of something important.
How about the artist signs and dates the back of the work when it's important? With your help if they're younger? A regular pencil won't show through the other side and it'll help you identify what they really liked when it's time to decide what art to save.
#34 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post
I don't know about this. I have a 5.5 year old and I would say she understands many things, but doesn't always have impulse control. I am not saying that I totally disagree with the PP's, some sort of consequences do need to be put into place, but I don't think statements like 'she absolutely can control herself, and she is capable of respecting boundaries' are accurate. She obviously can't. Maybe she should by some standard, but I would say that my dd is in the throws of learning about boundaries and yes, some impulse control things too.

Why can't the other children's artwork always be put up? Some restriction to art supplies is necessary and again, consequences after clear communication of boundaries.

But give the kid a break for goodness sake.
I agree that she doesn't necessarily have the impulse control to keep from doing stuff she knows she shouldn't. Which is why the markers need to be supervised. Since she can't control that impulse, it needs to be set up so that a parent can help her control the impulse and guide positive and productive marker use.

Not as a punishment, not because she is "bad", but because she needs help and the family loves her and wants her to be able to do art and enjoy the art of her siblings.
#35 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for so many great suggestions and for the supportive comments. I am feeling better about the situation today and have some great ideas that I think will help in our current situation and also in the future.

I talked to the girls yesterday about the folders idea and I am going to have the younger one make a picture and write "I'm sorry" for her older sister. I thought that was a great way to get the message across. And I also liked the idea of signing "special" works too, which would be like extra added insurance against art demolition. It should be relatively easy to set up a couple of art bins and some individual folders. The idea of creating some communal art projects is a fantastic one too. I hadn't thought about that, but it would sure provide a fun group activity and encourage cooperation rather than competition. (I suppose the increased sense of competitiveness I'm picking up in the kids can probably also be attributed to our circumstances too.) And temporarily revoking priveleges for some materials, like the markers, unless directly supervised also seems like a reasonable and natural consequence. I think I have some good ideas how to address these ideas on an ongoing basis.

You mamas have great ideas. Thanks so much. Oh, and even though the littlest hasn't really had any real consequences yet (they haven't done any artworks since the other day), her older sister did seem satisfied that her concerns were being heard by me and she seemed content that I was doing something about the situation. Her demand for a pound of flesh seems to have let up (thank goodness!) So I think we're getting at the goal I was hoping for. I intend to carry over these ideas when we get back into our home also since I did feel the problem wasn't entirely due to circumstances, just made worse by it.

Thank you!
Ellen
#36 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Glad it's better today. My suggestion was going to be: get a puppy! Everyone would quickly learn to put valuable things away then!

My 2 girls produce a prodigious amount of artwork. I instituted a folder system because I was completely overwhelmed. I still save way too much of it, but at least there's a semblance of order around it. I date the folder for each girl with the beginning date and then when it gets too full I put an end date on it and start a new folder. I found that going back through old masterpieces they were much more interesting if they had a name and date on them. For awhile I tried to put the kids' names and dates on myself, but that proved to be a pain in my butt so I moved to this folder system. I also have two big under-the-bed boxes filled with larger works.

We have way too much art, but at least it's put away now! The puppy really did help with that and picking up toys, too! You could tell them that art projects that aren't put away might end up in the recycling (in a non-threatening way, of course, just matter of factly) so if it's something they value they should put it in their special folder.

Hth and hope things ease up for you soon!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#37 of 37 Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
Glad it's better today. My suggestion was going to be: get a puppy! Everyone would quickly learn to put valuable things away then!

!

Oh yeah, that would be just what I need to add to the mix right now. Yikes!
Think I'll try the folders first.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page