Omega 3 fish oil for 3.5 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I've heard good things about fish oil. However, I was always hesitant because of the mercury. I decided to google it. What I have learned is if it's "molecular distilled", it should be safe. Right?

I would like to give it to my DD. She is a "spirited" child. Should I run it pass my family doctor and get her approuval? DD isn't on any kind of medication except for vitamines. We hardly eat any fish at all. How much should she get?

Any info would be great.
Thanks
#2 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
There are some vitamins with fish oil included in them. I am not sure if they are mercury free or follow the RDA. I think you should run it by the doctor to make sure it is actually safe. There is a lot of misinformation on the web and mercury is something to be extra careful about. Your doctor may also be able to tell you about other good fats that do the same thing as fish oil without the risk of mercury.
#3 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 AM

we use Nordic naturals which are listed as mercury free. My girls love them and eat/chew happily.
Kathryn
#4 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My ds won't touch fish oil in any shape or form or flavor so I put flaxseed oil on his pasta (about a teaspoon or two though I don't measure carefully and ds is 75 pounds at age 8). Flaxseed oil also has Omega-3. It's very slightly bitter the way walnuts are. But that doesn't bother my ds the way fish oil does. When I was trying to give him fish oil when he was 4, I think I was aiming for a teaspoon a day and using Carlson's brand. When that didn't fly, I tried an assortment of chewables which he also didn't like.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM

we also use nordic naturals. i learned about their company when working for a health food store a few years ago and really like what i learned. they go above and beyond the required testing for metals and i believe them when they say they are mercury free. my girls love them.

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#6 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There's a bunch of different Dr. Sears "Go Fish" chewables. We haven't tried them in awhile. They used to be lemon flavor which my son wouldn't eat.

Also, Trader Joe's sells a vegetarian chewable that's vegetarian. It's made out of seaweed. My son likes those ok but they are lemon flavored.

Here's a dr. sears:
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Sears-Omega...5485489&sr=8-1

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I found a couple of places that sell Nordic Naturals. I'll check them out. I did look at my grocery store and none of the Omega's said they were "molecular distilled". They just said they met some standard. I will double check with my doctor but so far I may try the Nordic's. I liked what I read on their websites.

Thanks
#8 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Which of the nordic products do you all use? They have a bunch of different items for kids. I've tried the oil with my girls and they didn't like it at all. Anyone using the gummies? Thanks!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#9 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floiejo2 View Post
Which of the nordic products do you all use? They have a bunch of different items for kids. I've tried the oil with my girls and they didn't like it at all. Anyone using the gummies? Thanks!
we've used the gummies and they're a big hit here.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM

We use these: Omega 3-6-9 Junior

We've used them for several years and I am happy with the product. My kids don't fuss at all when taking them.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#11 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

We use Nordic Naturals 3-6-9 Junior. Ds just chews them up and he likes them because they are lemon flavor. Ds was taking 3000 mg, but I just lowered his dosage to 2000 mg. He had a severe speech delay at age 2, and when we started him on fish oil it resolved in about 2 months and he was talking normally. This is why he was on such a high dosage. We started him at 1000 mg, and gradually went up higher until his speech stopped improving and stabilized. Dr. Sears said that if your child is typical, every child should get 500 mg of fish oil a day. If they have neurological issues he said to give them 1000 mg a day. I have read that you can give them much higher doses if needed, but most kids don't need higher doses. Both Carlsons and Nordic Naturals don't have mercury. Neither of these have other vitamins either. Some fish oils have A and D. D is fine, but with A you have to watch how much vitamin A they are getting total including their multi vitamin to make sure they are lower then the upper intake level.

In my opinion you really don't have to ask your doctor about it. As long as you use one of the good brands with no mercury, there is nothing bad about taking it. It's like any other kind of oil (vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil), it's just the right kind our body needs.

Here is a web page I made about fish oil and my son's experience with it: http://www.zimmerscope.com/apraxia.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page