Inappropriate party favor? 7 year olds - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse95 View Post
I wouldn't be a fan of a fart noise related toy and it would not last long in my home. I would prefer just the book.
Um ,yeah, this. I have a 4.5 yr old, but she wouldn't get much use out of the toy. She would think it's funny, I don't.

We love Junie B., though. Haven't read that book, though. I'd replace that word with fluff. that's what we say here. Altho I'd prefer it not be mentioned at all. My preference would be for everyone to just pretend it didn't happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranoLLLy-girl View Post
The problem for me is that my 7 and 6 year old think that the word fart is funny--and they would argue that: hey, I got one as a gift, can't I say the word? And the answer is: no, you got in trouble at school for using the word.
fart is a bad word? I have never heard of that. I thought everybody farted? Isn't it something normal and natural that we generally have little control over? Do they really get in trouble for saying fart in school?
#33 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM

I wouldn't be offended by it. I wouldn't be excited about it, but I can imagine that my son would think it was pretty funny, and I'd let him enjoy it. It would probably be pretty high on my "get rid of" list, though, and I'd probably be happiest if he just came home with a book. Which, by the way, is a really fantastic idea!
Also, I'm not familiar with Junie B. Jones (yet--my son is only 5), but I'm a sucker for a good "theme," so I could be much more forgiving of the toy if it were relevant (which is sounds like it is).

Bottom line--if you'd enjoy giving them, I think it's fine. If you decide not to, the books will make a great favor all by themselves!
#34 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnitti View Post
fart is a bad word? I have never heard of that. I thought everybody farted? Isn't it something normal and natural that we generally have little control over? Do they really get in trouble for saying fart in school?
Farting is rude. Calling attention to yourself farting or someone else farting is rude. Some people think it's funny to do this thought.

I can see, and would approve, of a school having a ban on the word fart. It really never needs to be said. With the exception of discussing whether or not our newborn has pooped or farted I can't recall the last time I used the word.

And people do have control over farting. It's something that should be done in the bathroom not around other people.

Why would a kid need to say fart at school?
#35 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
Farting is rude. Calling attention to yourself farting or someone else farting is rude. Some people think it's funny to do this thought.

I can see, and would approve, of a school having a ban on the word fart. It really never needs to be said. With the exception of discussing whether or not our newborn has pooped or farted I can't recall the last time I used the word.

And people do have control over farting. It's something that should be done in the bathroom not around other people.

Why would a kid need to say fart at school?

Please tell me then how I can control my farting? I would really like to know. It is embarrassing when I am at work, and I can smell it and I just hope and pray no one else does. And OMG sometimes doing pilates makes people fart. Please, Please tell me how to control a fart?

Even if some think it is rude (is your butt rude too, your vagina, your breast, your elbow, your knee, is it rude to menstruate, is it rude to sneeze, is it rude to cough, is it rude if someone snorts when the laugh?)? I cannot possible see how a school should be allowed to ban something just because it is rude or immoral, etc. Where would you draw the line since there is so much variance in what people consider to be rude or not rude? I don't think the school should become who decides what is acceptable. I believe that is up to the parents and the families. I think it is rude if you blow your nose at the table. Do kids get in trouble for that at school?
#36 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Please tell me then how I can control my farting? I would really like to know. It is embarrassing when I am at work, and I can smell it and I just hope and pray no one else does. And OMG sometimes doing pilates makes people fart. Please, Please tell me how to control a fart?
It's pretty easy. You squeeze everything shut down there. Just like poop doesn't just come out, neither do farts. I've never had an issue with farting when I didn't want to.

Quote:
Even if some think it is rude (is your butt rude too, your vagina, your breast, your elbow, your knee, is it rude to menstruate, is it rude to sneeze, is it rude to cough, is it rude if someone snorts when the laugh?)? I cannot possible see how a school should be allowed to ban something just because it is rude or immoral, etc. Where would you draw the line since there is so much variance in what people consider to be rude or not rude? I don't think the school should become who decides what is acceptable. I believe that is up to the parents and the families. I think it is rude if you blow your nose at the table. Do kids get in trouble for that at school?
It's rude to spit, do you have an issue with a school banning that. Some people think it's rude to have kids call grownups by their first name (I personally have no issue with that). Do you have an issue with a school requiring kids to call teachers Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss?
#37 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM

I am very prissy about discussing, um.. that. BUT, I have two boys and they LOOOOOOOVE to talk about it with Dad.

Now, I told you I am prissy, but I do aim to please, so I got whoopie cushions to put in my DS's goodie bags. Everyone LOVED them! LOVED! The only problem was that I got them in a four/$1 pack and they ripped very easily. I got them at Target, FYI. Attending the party were my 6.5 yo, 3 yo and a brother/sister pair (6.5/3). Everyone went crazy over the, um...noises. Oh, dear.

I think your party idea sounds really fun. My big boy loves Junie B. And That May.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#38 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I just feel it is a waste of energy getting riled up about it. Kids are going to find it hilarious no matter what adults do, might as well ignore it, try to teach good manners and not shame.

Not everyone does have control over it. I would not really approve of a ban of the word in a school because I think it would just make things worse.

My 20 month old thinks it is hilarious.

We have this book

http://www.amazon.com/Gas-We-Pass-St.../dp/0916291529

Not all those who wander are lost 
#39 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
LOL.. I am not prissy or shy.. but, I would NEVER fart in public. I have control, as does everyone else I know. I've never even done it in front of my husband.

I suppose some people can't control it, so I guess that's both sad and funny...it's probably more funny actually. I'd only go to pilates with you one time though.
#40 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Where would you draw the line since there is so much variance in what people consider to be rude or not rude? I don't think the school should become who decides what is acceptable. I believe that is up to the parents and the families. I think it is rude if you blow your nose at the table. Do kids get in trouble for that at school?
At our school, it would be against the rule to blow your nose at a meal. They expect the child to get up and go in the restroom and blow their nose.... however, they just wipe their noses on a sleeve and then eat their lunch.

A teacher would say "Please don't use that word, it's offensive to some people". The teacher uses words like "bottom", so the kids can manage NOT to say "Butt" in front of the teacher. It's all about respect and being polite.

I also DESPISE when my husband says "I have to take a leak" instead of "I need to use the restroom". He doesn't give a rat's tale that I don't like that... BUT, in front of my family, he would never dream of saying "I have to take a leak" to them. So... I guess he respects them.. but not me???
#41 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
the point is - who are the party favors for? the kids or the parents?

are all the kids invited into this? does your child find this a great idea? i myself have yet to meet a child who hasnt gone thru that stage.

i would definitely buy that for the kids. however little time of fun they have with it - even if its a few minutes before it gets taken away, i would be happy with. however i also notice 6 and 7 are when they are kinda getting out of that phase too.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#42 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Count me in the minority. I have two boys and hear quite enough fart jokes, thankyouverymuch. It's natural, I know. Farts are funny. But my kids don't need "help" to engineer artificial ones.

To me, fart jokes are something that kids do, a phase. Not something that adults should encourage them to persist in. So that kind of party favor would strike me as crude, vulgar and tacky and would probably color my opinion of you, and not for the better. Sorry, I'm snobby that way.
#43 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM

I'd probably do something of more general interest, in place of the fart doll. Not every kid loves fart jokes, and some might be ready for a break from it by the end of the show. I also agree with pp that the show and the book is an awful lot, and a bag with some candy and stickers would be plenty.
#44 of 48 Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We don't use the word "fart" in our home. It's passing gas, around here. And I wouldn't let my five-year-old keep a whoopie cushion.
#45 of 48 Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 AM

I wouldn't like it and neither would my kids. They think farting (we call it tooting) is funny but, it's not something they would consider funny in public. Nor would they find talking about it funny in public.

But, they also don't care for Junie B. Jones. They find her really rude.

But, I do agree with the PP who said the farting toy is way over kill. There's a play, cake, theme party, book etc... that's enough Junie B Jones. You don't need to add a farting toy on top of that. A book is great - if you feel you need more how about some stickers or a book mark?
#46 of 48 Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 AM

I'm not too big on gift bags myself - mostly because parties seem so expensive even without them. Yours sound very generous. My DD would be thrilled to get a book. It's her favorite type of gift.

And for the person who mentioned "Walter the Farting Dog" - we have 3 of those books plus a little plush Walter that makes noises. It was a gift from a friend of mine. The books are funny and have crazy illustrations.

I would've loved to have read one for the kids at the co-op preschool but I didn't feel comfortable doing that with other peoples' kids I didn't know that well. While we have very open boundaries about farts and all at our house, we are aware that other people have different values and we do teach DD to use manners.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#47 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
For full disclosure, I'll admit that I dislike Junie B. Jones and wouldn't be thrilled with the book either, lol!
Me too. Junie B Jones is not allowed in our house.

The fart toy I'd be fine with it because she would play with it for 1 night, then forget about it, and it would go into the bottom of the toy box.
#48 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I thought it was pretty common to be an unacceptable word. If you ever need to discuss it, though I'm not sure why you would, there are other words to say.

As for control, I think most people can unless they have some gastrointestinal problem or have a really bad diet. It happens in yoga & Pilates as a way of de-toxing the intestines. You cut reduce the chances by cutting down on high gas-producing foods before yoga and going to the bathroom immediately before class.

We've not read JBJ, so I have no opinion one way or the other on her books. As for the toy, I probably wouldn't take it, but I wouldn't like it. We really stress that discussions about using the bathroom and anything associated are to be undertaken only in certain situations.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page