Inappropriate party favor? 7 year olds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 6 year old, turning 7 daughter is having a Junie B Jones birthday party. She'll invite 6 kids, all girls, and we are going to a local Junie B show, followed by lunch and cake at our house. We were thinking of giving Junie B Jones books as party favors (although I realize many kids have already read and/or own them already, so who knows) along with a "burpa-bag" type toy.

For those who don't know Junie B gives her arch-nemeses May a toy that makes burp sounds that all her classmates love. (The story line revolves around whether she will keep the toy for herself or give it to May) My daughter got a similar fart sound toy as a gift that she (and her neighborhood friends, all boys) love. Can I give that along with the book or is too crude? I can't find a similar burp sound toy, which might be just slightly more acceptable.

What would you think if your kid came home with that? Any better ideas? I won't give food or plastic junk that gets tossed once the kid is home. My daughter's sound machine has lived happily for many months and much use on her backpack and is in my budget, along with the books and theater tickets.

TIA!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#2 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's funny and wouldn't mind if my kids came home w/that from a party, my kids would love it too!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#3 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 PM

I wouldn't be offended by it or think it were crude. Everybody burps, everybody farts, and it's just downright funny.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#4 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Well we have more than one whoopie cushion in this house so it wouldn't be a problem with me.And my daughter would love it.

#5 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM

If my kid brought that home, I would laugh. I'm laughing just thinking about it. :] I think the book is a good idea too.

Jessie
#6 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 PM

I think it'd be FUNNY!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM

I see no problem with it. DS1 got two whoopie cushions as gifts (part of each gift) when he was in 2nd grade (so, turning 8). I certainly didn't object.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

I would be very surprised if I met a seven year old who thought that was innapropriate. (or their parents)

Kids should be kids.... things that annoy us are funny to them. There is nothing wrong with that party favor, and I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
#9 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A toy that burped or farted would go straight in the garbage here.

We don't make those noises on purpose around other people in our family. They are rude.

But, given what I hear around me all the time, we're in the minority on this. (Also on nose picking, sniffing, drooling...)
#10 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Considering that the girls' parent think going to the Junie B show is fine, you should be OK. My own DD who is 6 years would not appreciate that type of toy but she also has choice words to say about the Junie B Jones books too.
#11 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM

I have given whoopie cushions in party gift bags before.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM

I wouldn't be a fan of a fart noise related toy and it would not last long in my home. I would prefer just the book.
#13 of 48 Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 PM

I think it's over the top, but not because it makes a rude noise.

These kids are getting:
A Junie B. Jones show
Lunch/cake
A book

Do they really need the toy?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 AM

i think it is really funny. how well do you know the families?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 AM

I like it
#16 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 AM

We say "toot" instead of "fart" and excuse me around here. But I think we're a bit, well, anal. I'm glad we have our manners, but I think dh and I need to lighten up a bit. I'd love to check out "Walter the farting dog," but it would NOT be appreciated by my hubby. Dd did get a little whoopie cushion and while we didn't let her use it at the dinner table, we did let her keep it when we saw how much fun she had with it. That was progress for us.
#17 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

While I personally am not a big fan of my family's fart jokes (it's just the way I was raised), they (including my DH) would all love a whoopie cushion and I would just grin and bear it.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#18 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Eh they're kids and farts are funny. DH got a similar toy in his Christmas stocking. I'd roll my eyes but wouldn't be offended. I'd be a lot more concerned about the Junie B Jones to be honest because I think she's horribly disrespectful personally, but the fart toy? Not a biggie.
#19 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 AM

It would be loved in our house -- by the adults and kids alike!

Sounds like an awesome party and a great party favor, too.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#20 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Okay, so based on these responses I think I'll proceed with caution regarding bodily noises. I don't know the families at all.

As for Junie B, that's not up for debate. The kids aren't allowed to read her in school (well, the books aren't provided, but kids can bring them from home), so the forbidden fruit is mighty tasty! I think most kids who read her books enjoy them for the few weeks it takes to read through all of them and then move on. My daughter is already past the huge interest, but when we bought the tickets a month or so ago, she was reading a book or two each day. We had great fun talking about her poor grammer, whether she is rude or just self-centered, etc. The theatre production is a musical, so we'll see how much content there really is.

Thanks.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#21 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM

It wouldn't be my favorite, but in the context of the party and a book about the incident (Not familiar with that one) I would get why it was given. It wouldn't be my favorite, but I wouldn't be offended - especially if the book was offered.

As for "goody bags," I've found that it's really important for kids at that age range. Last year we had a small "Friends 2 b made" party and all the girls went home with a doll wearing an outfit. Still my DD was disappointed that there were no "goody bags" per se. Explaining that the doll was WAY better, just didn't fly. This year she has asked for something different for a party. So I understand wanting to give the girls the show AND something to take home - the book and the toy.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#22 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wouldn't be overjoyed and enthusiastic about it myself, but we've had whoopie cushions and that sort of thing in the house too so I'd tolerate it. For full disclosure, I'll admit that I dislike Junie B. Jones and wouldn't be thrilled with the book either, lol!

As for the slightly OT loot bag issue, I don't like them (God, I'm a miserable old coot, aren't I ?), but I think a book, or a single toy, or a take-home like a craft that's been done at the party (beaded bracelets, painted picture frame with a photo from the party, etc.) is a nice idea.

So I'd say the book and the toy are fine. I wouldn't love them if my kid brought them home, but I wouldn't think you were a bad parent or terrible person. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are very sensitive to other parents' attitudes.
#23 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I have given whoopie cushions in party gift bags before.
Me too and they've gone over extremely well.
#24 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

OP - not sure when the party is, but in my DD's Scholastic handout for February they are selling Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine for $1 a copy! It's the "Scholastic Favorite Authors A to Z - Winter 2010" handout.

And I think your favors are FINE. I kinda like Junie B. .

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#25 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3*is*magic View Post
And I think your favors are FINE. I kinda like Junie B. .
We LOVE Junie B around here. Even I was entertained when reading those to my daughter before she could read them herself.

Junie B is the most fun person I can imagine. I'm glad she wasn't my daughter's BFF, but I enjoyed her in the books.
#26 of 48 Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Okay, so based on these responses I think I'll proceed with caution regarding bodily noises. I don't know the families at all.

As for Junie B, that's not up for debate. The kids aren't allowed to read her in school (well, the books aren't provided, but kids can bring them from home), so the forbidden fruit is mighty tasty! I think most kids who read her books enjoy them for the few weeks it takes to read through all of them and then move on. My daughter is already past the huge interest, but when we bought the tickets a month or so ago, she was reading a book or two each day. We had great fun talking about her poor grammer, whether she is rude or just self-centered, etc. The theatre production is a musical, so we'll see how much content there really is.

Thanks.
I can't believe Junie B. is censored! j/k My dd's 1st grade teacher reads her aloud. I think she's hilarious, and anyone who is a fan should recognize that stupid and immature jokes are what makes her funny.

Mommy to kids

#27 of 48 Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM

It wouldn't bother me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#28 of 48 Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Sounds like a great idea -- and I want to know how I can get invited to the party!

We read all the Junie B. books and I found them entertaining.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#29 of 48 Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

Thanks.
Yeah, if you don't know the families, then I would proceed with caution. I'm an older mom with a 7 year old, so maybe I am old fashioned---but--- I would not appreciate such a gift. The problem for me is that my 7 and 6 year old think that the word fart is funny--and they would argue that: hey, I got one as a gift, can't I say the word? And the answer is: no, you got in trouble at school for using the word. I certainly don't need any reminders of that.
And fwiw, we have the Junie B books here, too--but we still don't use the language in conversation. She is funny, though, that much is true. Just the book and the movie, to me, would be more than enough for the party-goers.
#30 of 48 Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM

Moving to Childhood Years since this is about a specific age and stage.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page