5 yr old just started waking wet - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 yr old son who has been potty trained for 2 yrs with maybe 3 accidents while training, has just started waking up wet. This has happened for 3 nights in a row. I asked him if everything was okay at school and he said it was fine. I can't say for sure if it's pee or something else. I'm hopeing someone can tell me their five year old did something similar. It has me freaked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really concerned for him. Any ideas?
#3 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM

I don't have much useful advice, but I just wanted to let you know that I read your post and I'd be worried too.

First of all, does it smell like pee? Is there a large quantity of wetness? If it's definitely pee, ask him how he's feeling and maybe see his pediatrician. If he has a bladder or UT infection, that could be causing the sudden bedwetting.

If you don't think it's pee, then I really don't know. But if it keeps happening, definitely check in with his doctor. If there's something going on you'll want to find out what it is.

#4 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Assuming it is pee, I would not be too worried yet. Our DD occasionally has episodes of bed wetting though she has been night-time potty trained for a couple of years as well. It happens maybe every 6 months and usually goes on for about a week, then she is back to normal. I would give it a bit more time and just be really diligent about going to the bathroom and no liquids before bedtime and reminding to get up in the night if needed.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM

i don't mean to be alarming, but if it continues i would check in with a dr also. this was my dh's first sign of being diabetic ... he started wetting the bed again after being dry at night for a few years

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#6 of 11 Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your replies. I hadn't thought to ask him about if there was any burning when he went potty or anything associated with a uti or bladder infection. I asked him last night and he said he had some burning while going to the bathroom. He is five so I'm not sure if he really has burning or not, but at least we were able to talk about it and I told him if the burning continues to let me know and we would do something about it. It just never occured to me that he would have something like that and not tell me. I truely appreciate all your replies.
#7 of 11 Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 AM

My DS who is 5 does this every so often. I find that it coincides with a major growth spurt on his part- like his bladder did not keep up with him. It only lasts a couple of days and then everything seems fine afterwards. Has he grown lately?

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#8 of 11 Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Any chance he's constipated? There's only so much space in there, and if his bladder doesn't have the space it needs, because he's backed up, it can cause incontinence.
#9 of 11 Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 PM

My daughter is 7 and I can count on 1 hand how many times she has worken up dry in the morning. I have heard that some kids take ALOT longer then others to be dry at night. While that is true, my daughter knows she has to go but "chooses" not to get up to go many times because she gets too comfy and doesnt want to get up, her words not mine. Thats something I have been working with her on for I dont know how long. Yes it gets a bit frustrating to deal with night after night and its so hard not to get upset over it, especially when she knows she has to go but wont. I welcome any thoughts, ideas or suggestions that might help me as I am getting somewhat desparate here. Thank you

Mary
#10 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM

My 6 yr old dd wets the bed when something emotional is going on. Sometimes we can predict if she will. If she or anyone in the family is sick she wets the bed. We have had a lot of issues with death and so I think she gets worried when we are sick and has an accident in her sleep. We don't make a big deal of it and keep the extra bedding in her room to make changing the bed as simple as possible.
#11 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 PM

I know its not constipation with my daughter. She isnt a heavy sleeper either. She just isnt motivated to want to get up to go at night when she has to. She gets too comfortable in bed and wont get up. Even getting her up when I go to bed doesnt do anything other then cause a fight because she NEVER has to go and its a fight to get her back in bed afterwards. How do I deal with a child that doesnt care and isnt motivated to want to stop or want to try to stop?? HELP!!

Mary

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page