Do you make your kids eat at the table? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy View Post
Sometimes I feel like we are the strictest parents around. We only eat at the table, not wandering around the house munching. Sometimes we might have a picnic on the floor or a snack while watching a movie but this is the exception rather than the rule. Just wondering if we are the only ones.
Nope. We're not "strict" parents at all in my estimation, but I absolutely don't allow my kids to eat all over the house. Occasionally we make an exception--especially if we have company over to our not-huge house--but generally, they know that food has to stay at the table (not that they never need reminding).

I'm pretty lax about letting them leave food at the table for a while, if they want, so that they can go play, come eat a few bites, go play, come back. If we're all sitting down to dinner, though, we all stay at the table while everyone eats.
#32 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

So glad it's not just us. I can't stand picking up food crumbs all over, and I am by no means a neat freak. I also think it helps us connect better and eat more mindfully.
#33 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM

No. We sometimes eat at the table and sometimes not. No point in trying to make that a rule as I often times do not feel like eating at the table - so why should my son? lol We are grazers as well so we would be sitting at the table all day long if that were a 'rule' here! Not about to happen!

We have consensually come up with the solution (due to massive hoovering attacks lol) of no 'crumbly' food upstairs though. So no oat biscuits or rice cakes...but a banana or apple would be fine (as they arn't crumbly lol)!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#34 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Meals are at the table, snacks are at the kitchen island. DS is only 3, but this won't change while they (DS and future kids) live here!

It is important for family bonding, for digestion/nutrition, even for the spirit. So important!
#35 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

We eat meals at the table. DD eats snacks in lots of places.
#36 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Yes, we all eat at the table.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#37 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM

Meals and snacks are all eaten at the table. I hate crumbs and sticky messes everywhere. Very rarely will I set out a blanket for an indoor picnic.

ETA- my ds also has autism so needs rules that he can hold onto. If I were to say "you can eat x, y and z in the living room but everything else has to be eaten at the table" he wouldn't get it. Everything gets eaten at the table, and ds is much happier to have that consistency.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#38 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM

no we really don't. DD eats breakfast on a tray table on the couch while watching her morning tv show - I am in the shower during this time. DH eats breakfast before he goes to work and I eat it after my shower while checking email. Breakfast is always cereal. When we have pancakes, eggs, etc then we eat at the kitchen table. This had led to quite a bit of milk being spilled on my couch, but I am ok with that. When DD #2 comes along and starts eating solids, I suspect breakfast will become more of a kitchen table meal for the kids and I. Lunch is at the kitchen table 90% of the time, but sometimes we'll eat in the living room. Same goes for dinner. Snacks are almost never served at the table unless they are exceptionally messy.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#39 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Mostly.

Meals are at the table or the breakfast counter.

Snacks are either: at the table, outside, in his movie chair while watching his video, on our lap while we have "snacks and stories", or in the car I don't allow wandering around the house with food and I'm especially strict about not eating in the bedrooms which are the only carpeted area of our home. Anything not eaten at the table I try to make sure its not too messy or crumbly.
#40 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We eat together at the table except on the rare occassions when we have popcorn on the couch during a movie. We don't graze or wander around trailing food to attract ants and food does not go into the bedrooms. I haven't been in a home where this is considered unusual, maybe it is something that has to do with the area you live in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page