My kids take pretend to a new level! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's awesome that your kids like doing this and that you're delighting in it, but... it's totally normal.
#32 of 36 Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Moved from Unschooling to The Childhood Years.

dar
I think the reason this was posted originally in unschooling is so that us few unschoolers could discuss this without it turning into a schooled vs. unschooled issue.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#33 of 36 Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Of course they aren't zombies with no imagination! I didn't mean that! However, there is no way you will convince me that the lengths they take it to would be allowed in public school. DD can go for days without breaking character, she would refuse to sit correctly in her chair or eat with a fork because puppies don't do that. She won't speak, other than to tell you that she's being a puppy to explain why she can't talk/color/participate in circle time etc. In school, she would HAVE to break character, that's the difference I'm a talking about. How long she can go without breaking character.
I don't think that having to get out of character sometimes in order to learn or eat dinner with a fork is a bad thing, whether you learn at home or at school. I also don't think that not breaking character for days at a time sounds like normal pretend play. Perhaps she just doesn't break her play because she doesn't have to, but what you are describing sounds like she just can't fathom breaking her play even to have a meal. Pretend play is an awesome thing, getting wrapped up in long sessions of pretend play that you return to in your free time day after day is also a good thing. I think all kids can benefit from a lot more time to participate in pretend play at home (and at school if they attend school), but it shouldn't be all a child does. As one person already stated it can also be a sign of autism if the child can't break out of the role they have decided to be in.
#34 of 36 Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Is it just me? Seriously, they pretend to be dogs, they lay in the floor, on their sides, legs our just like dogs REALLY do and they will wear "collars" and "leashes" if you don't watch them. They've gone as far as to sniff each others butts ok? When I served them bowls of water and bowls of dry cheerios at the table (where they will sit with legs drawn up under then and arms down on the chair, again, eerily like REAL dogs) my mother said that I "allow creativity". Ive seen my dd scratch behind her ear with her "hind leg".

Mostly I think this is a good thing, wow, in public school I'm sure other kids would consider it weird and it would be peer pressured out by now (ages six, five and three). Heck, sometimes I think it's a little weird, lol! Not that they do it, but that they do it A LOT and are so serious about it!! Of course dd has an animal obsession anyway along with one for biology and loves to play vet so maybe this is all just training?

So occasionally I think maybe they ARE weird, random kids at the playground tend to NOT want to play with them, and that makes me worry.

But then wow, I see them pretending to be dinosaurs and this is what strikes me (and Ive never seen any other kids do this): They get into and stick to the correct posture and movements, I mean the way they hold their bodies and the way they move, they LOOK like dinosaurs!! Just like the ones on the discover channel. They don't stand and move like kids at all when they do this! I mean the second they take the "Trex stance" you know exactly what they are suppose to be! Maybe it is weird to most people, but I'm rather impressed and amazed by it myself.

I just don't think it would have happened in any other setting than unschooling. Really.

What do you all think? Anyone else's kids take pretending to this extreme? Come on and tell me it's not just my kids, lol!!
My almost-three-year-old is right there with your kids. I think it's cute. It can get a little gross at time (think licking spilled yogurt off of the floor, like a puppy or stealing a few drinks from the dog's water bowl)...but mostly it's cute. She loves peeing while in the shower because she gets to lift up her leg and do it like our dog does She takes her shoes off, so she can scratch her face. She licks my face like a dog. She cries like a puppy and begs for food. Whatever, right? It's all good, mama

Edit: Fwiw, I don't think it has anything to do with schooled vs. unschooled. I remember acting like a dog--at school in the 1st or 2nd grade. I used to run around at recess barking like a dog and playing fetch with the other kids.
#35 of 36 Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 AM

This article was on the Mothering homepage yesterday. I thought of this thread when I read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
I think the reason this was posted originally in unschooling is so that us few unschoolers could discuss this without it turning into a schooled vs. unschooled issue.
It wouldn't be about schooled vs. unschooled if the op hadn't suggested her dc's pretend play was unique to unschooling.
#36 of 36 Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
But OP made it about being a schooled v. unschooled thing? When posts like that are made, they generally get moved. It wasn't really a post about schooling, it was a post about a child imagining things and having trouble socially on the playground.

I thought it was really interesting to get a wider perspective. I learned some interesting things from posters who came on after the move.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page