Bedwetting?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is xposted in parenting.

Dd1 who is 5.5yrs old still wets the bed at night. Almost every single night. It hasn't ever been a big deal and I just figure she doesn't have that control yet. Both Dh and my little brother were bedwetters until 8-10yrs old. It's never been a big deal and I've never made a big deal out of it. But our dd2 who is 2.5 yrs old is completely dry day and night now and it's making dd1 feel bad. We've never made it a big deal at all, we've told her everyone is different and sometimes our bodies just aren't ready to stay dry at night until we're a little older. Dh has told her about some of his experience and we've told her her beloved uncle also wet. She's getting increasingly uncomfortable in her pullups. She's been wearing seventh generation pullups at night and we've had very few leaks until recently. For 8 nights in a row now she's wet so much that it comes out and soaks her and the bed that she's in. I'm trying so hard to have patience with it all but oh my gosh!!! I'm getting really tired of changing and washing the entire bedding every single day!I've woken up in a bad mood the past few days because of her climbing into bed with me all wet. She's in a bed right next to ours/pushed up to it.

So, has anyone tried anything that has helped their child? Anyone tried or use the alarms that are out there? We've tried waking her up a few times a night to pee but that's hit and miss whether she will and it doesn't seem to make a difference. What kind of overnight protection do you use? We avoid the "regular" overnights that are out there because they have such bad stuff in them. But obviously our pullups are not working anymore. She's a very thin 5yr old, she weighs 38lbs and the 4/5T ones are even a little big. So the pullups/pants for older kids are way too big.

Welcoming any suggestions. TIA!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#2 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM

We used the alarm with great success. You can find my posts on several prior bedwetting threads.

Also, you can find cloth night-time pants, there are some designed for special needs kids. I don't have the link anymore, but you should be able to find them using google.

But if your DD wants to try the alarm, I would definitely give that a try.

Good luck!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#3 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Teensy, what kind of alarm did you use? Was it just to wake her up or alert to wetness? I'm looking at this sight:

http://bedwettingstore.com/Bedwettin...tingalarms.htm

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#4 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM

That's exactly what we ordered - the Malem Ultimate with multiple sounds and vibration. I let DS pick the color. We ordered from the same online store.

Worked great for us. I had DS clip it onto his underpants, then pulled a Goodnight on top so when he wet, he only had to put on new underpants and another Goodnight, and we didn't have to remake the whole bed. He went from never, ever having had a dry night, to consistently dry nights in only about two weeks. It was a wonder for him! Absolutely worth the cost.

Good luck!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#5 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Teensy, can you explain it to me a bit? What exactly is the thinking behind the monitor? I get that it tells you when you're wet, but how does that stop you from wetting? I'm just now looking into this so I know nothing about them. Thanks!

#6 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 PM

My ds wet the bed till he was 11 y/o. He is now 12 and only on occasion does it happen. We never tried an alarm, but then again he sets his alarm to get up every morning and it never works. I just wanted to pipe in that they will out grow it and many times they wet their bed because they are such deep sleepers. My ds hated the dry night pants and would not wear them. As he got older he and i both learned things that triggered a bad night. Things like drinking before bed, soda (always!) causes a bad night, though we only had it on special occasions, staying up late, going to bed too early.

I babysat for a girl that wet her bed till she was in her teens. Her mother tried everything. Finally a doctor had her take some drugs and that worked.

As my son got older he learned how to change his own sheets. We tried to not make a very big deal about it. I only screamed when he would leave his dirty sheets in the corner. (He was not trying to hide them from me, he just did not care.) Glad we got over that mile stone.

Oh and i should add that he was #2 and after him he watched as his 2 younger sibs were able to sleep through out the night without accidents, by 3 y/o.
Good luck
#7 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 PM

I've read a few things recently that bedwetting could be related to food sensitivities, specifically salicylates.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#8 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM

They aren't natural and are disposable, but I recommend GoodNights. DS has worn them and they don't leak. He stopped wetting the bed at almost 7.5 yrs.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Do the goodnights have some kind of fragrance in them? My dd is super sensitive and so far the one and only kind we've tried that doesn't irritate her are the seventh gen ones. Are goodnights more absorbent than normal pullups/diapers?

#10 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM

I am in the SAME boat you are flio!! I sent you a message regarding my daughter. She is 7 and nowhere close to being dry at night. I know what you are going through in regards to the pull ups not working....been there, done that!

Mary (mom to 1)
#11 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Devamajka, I knew salicylates were bad and that they were in lots of lotions/body care items which we avoid, but i just looked it up and had no idea it was in so many fruits and veggies. Do you have any sources on this, I'd be very interested. Any info on other sensitivities with bedwetting?

#12 of 15 Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM

I've heard the alarm with pad underneat the bed works well. Wakes them up whenever there is a drop of pee on it, so I assume you'd need to be wearing underwear and willing to wake up.

I like the Huggies products for nightime. For her size, sounds like a regular old Pullups could work. There are night-time pullups from Huggies also, which are thicker and probably would do the job.

I recently read something on the Enzymedica website about digestive enzymes for kids wetting the bed. Worth a read, eh?
#13 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM

same problem here, i have an almost 7 yo dd who still wets every night (even if i limit drinks and put her on the toilet at 11pm). it wasn't until her younger sister started to be dry at night at age 3 that i realized that maybe she should be dry at age 6. when her younger sister started to be dry at night she was really giving herself a hard time but i told her everybody's body develops at a different pace and used the anaology of our 10 yo neighbor who just recently learned how to ride a bike and my dd could ride at age 5. everybody learns to do things at different ages.

i just hope it ends soon b/c the pullups are expensive.
#14 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floiejo2 View Post
Do the goodnights have some kind of fragrance in them? My dd is super sensitive and so far the one and only kind we've tried that doesn't irritate her are the seventh gen ones. Are goodnights more absorbent than normal pullups/diapers?
They are more absorbent then pullups/dipes. I don't detect any fragrance....I'm sure the stuff in them compares to sposies? I wonder if you checked at like a medical supply store for something to wear? I first tried the goodnights via a free sample.
www.goodnights.com maybe there is some better info there.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#15 of 15 Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 AM
JAL

We use UnderJams, my dd is 4, 41lbs and 42" if that helps - she uses the smalls. I found these to be pretty absorbent (she is a heavy wetter) and they seemed softer and more comfy than others we tried. I'm sure they are still full of all the bad stuff but I have not found anything more natural or cloth that will hold the pee!

I will be following this thread though, we might be in for a long haul with night wetting also. Her dad and aunt were late to stay dry kids,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page