5.5 yr old DD doesn't like her name & wants to change it - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Thats a cool story Peony.

We pronounce her name "Mar LAY Nah" (not Mar LEE Nah) so Lena (as much as I love it) doesn't quite match as a derivative. I know it's a pretty name, but it's just so-so to me. I prefer Grace.
I'm feeling better about the whole thing... just calling her Grace now and seeing how that goes will work for us.
I think that she is most likely picking up on that and it is feeding her desire to change her name. You have stated that you don't really like her name - do you really think she has not picked up on that? Kids are smarter than you think.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Must be the age. My 5 y/o (who normally loves her name), has been saying recently that she doesn't like it. I told her to decide what she wanted to be called, and we'd call her that. It's been a few weeks and she still hasn't come up with anything else, yet.

I think 5 is too young to be allowed to determine such a significant change that would be permanent, but I see no problem with letting them choose a different name to go by, and if they stick with it for a number of years, consider making it permanent.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

User Tag List