9yo boy: bedwetting and now occasional daytime accidents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son just turned 9. Ever since he toilet trained at the age of 3, he's occasionally had accidents at night. He graduated from the Pull-Ups around age 5, when the accidents became very infrequent (maybe twice a month, sometimes not at all). I know this is common for little boys, and it was never a huge deal. But during the past month, he had an accident almost every night. Over the course of the past week, he has had between 1-3 accidents during the *day* as well. These accidents are tiny, almost not noticeable. He says he doesn't always feel himself having them until he feels that his underwear is a little bit wet. We don't do sodas or caffeine, and we've been to the dr to rule out anything medical. The doctor just said to wake him up at night to use the restroom and remind him to take a break from activities to use the restroom during the day, and that he'd likely grow out of it. Thing is, I can't remind him when he's at school, and I worry about how this is affecting his self-image. He's pretty embarassed about the whole situation, and he's a perfectionist anyway. Any words of wisdom? Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and if so, what worked for you & yours? TIA!

User Tag List