squats when he goes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this will probably sound rather strange...my 4.5 yr old son, who I ec'd parttime from about 6 mo's until he was fulltime using the potty at 3 or 3.5, prefers to literally squat on the toilet seat when he goes #2. I've often wondered if using the ec squatting position sort of taught him this. Either way, its how he prefers to go and though I have tried a few times encouraging him to do it sitting down, he tells me this is how HE likes to go. After reading online about it, I'm sort of amazed, to learn humans really have always squatted to go, up until the 19th century. Lots of countries with very rural areas still do it that way. Well anyway, my dh and I (and all our family who of course have all seen him do this!) don't really care that much, but it really has me wondering, is there any other kid out there who chooses to squat this way too?
S.
#2 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 PM

DS does.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Yup. My son will be 5 this month, and we did not EC. In fact, he has only recently become fully PL'ed with #2. Anyway, he always squats on the seat when he goes.

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
#4 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 AM

I recently heard this about people in other parts of the world squatting to go to the bathroom. In fact, according to what I read the modern day toilet-sitting position is not actually ideal for evacuating the bowels. So what your son does may prove to be a very healthy habit!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My oldest is 12 and still prefers that position when defecating. Not that I'm thrilled that I have that info, but if he doesn't lock the door....
#6 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM

My who is 8 does it too..

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#7 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just summarized the posts to my dh. He was actually getting worried I think that something may be wrong...not that I hadn't wondered about it. But after reading that its how we as humans have always gone, I now think my son is quite instinctual in the whole thing And its very comforting to know my ds isn't the only one! I wonder why though some (ec or not) kids just decide to do it on their own?
Thanks so much for sharing!!
S.
#8 of 15 Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM

ds is a squatter too.

we did something like ec-lite with him from about 1 - 2 yrs, when he started hating diapers.
he was fully out of them before 2, except at night which took a bit longer.

everything i've heard indicates it's a very healthy position for pooping (more ergonomic than sitting in fact).
i'm curious (but not concerned or in a hurry for) when he will finally sit on the toilet.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#9 of 15 Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's my understanding that until recent times in the cultures where it was still the norm for the restroom to consist of a hole in the ground (they were even in the fanciest of homes, though the expensive homes did have a flushing system) their physicians had to travel to the Western world to learn about conditions such as hemorrhoids. It wasn't until the toilet (and the Western diet) began to show up in the rich houses that they began to encounter those types of injuries (which is what they are).
#10 of 15 Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 AM

i was raised at many times with various toilet alternatives and usually squatted. i still squat if my bowels need any "encouragement" it feels normal and healthy, i say good habit as long as he has learned to do it safely (no sox!!) yeah it is really instinctual in my head.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 15 Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 AM

I squat. Totally normal and actually healthier for your colon. Google it..

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#12 of 15 Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 AM

ds (age 6) squats too. i just don't make any deal of it. He was ECd btw.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#13 of 15 Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Check it out, I may just buy one (or make something like it!):

http://www.naturesplatform.com/all_p...ml#place_order
#14 of 15 Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM

my DS(6) does it. he used to do it sitting but switched over about 2-3 years ago. i don't mind and he knows he can't do it outside of the home.
#15 of 15 Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
my DS(6) does it. he used to do it sitting but switched over about 2-3 years ago. i don't mind and he knows he can't do it outside of the home.
why cant he do it outside the home? i actually think that is how my mom always had us girls do it in airport and other yucky bathrooms when we were kids, just made sense to me

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page