Would you leave a responsible 9yo and 5.5yo at home alone for about 10 minutes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you leave a responsible 9yo and 5.5yo home alone for 10 minutes?
Yes, if they have proven themselves to be responsible 107 58.15%
Not under any circumstances at those ages 51 27.72%
Maybe 26 14.13%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lot depends as in maturity level ect. But I was babysitting for a few hours a night starting at 8 for family members. So in that case if I felt my child was mature enough then yeah I would.

To me if falls into common sense and what you feel your child is capable of. Who cares what others think. Because for some its not an option while other wouldn't bat an eye.
I have to laugh at the Georgia Guidelines. Who determines the maturity level? I mean really.
#62 of 71 Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM

For some reason, I tend to agree with the others that say they would walk somewhere, but not get in a car. I don't know why I have that feeling though, since the chance of something happening in other case is small.

Honestly though, I would probably never leave my kids in the scenario you describe because I never run 10 minute errands. If I had to go to the ATM, I would go in conjunction with another trip (grocery store, whatever) or ask my husband to get money on the way home. Same with trips to the bank, post office, etc. I always combine trips because it just seems wasteful to me otherwise (not preaching, just stating my feelings). The only situation I could envision where I'd be gone literally 10 minute is to run something over to a next-door neighbor's house. In that case, sure, I'd leave the kids home, why not?
#63 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
not in a million years. BUT I don't have any clue what responsible behavior in a 9 year old would be as mine has ADD. So emotionally she's closer to her 5 year old sister. She doesn't hav ethe impulse control not to burn the house down and the 5 year old doesn't have the willpower and maturity to stop her. So with my kids, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#64 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM

I would not. My main reason being what if I had an accident even if I am not badly injured it would be awhile before I could get back to them. And heaven forbid that it was found out during the ensuing mayhem that I left them home CPS would become involved.

I dont even want to think about what would happen if I was horribly injured with no one knowing my kids where home alone

After all the majority of car accident with injury happen within a mile of home. My last wreck was in site of my driveway.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#65 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
I believe there are only TWO out of FIFTY states that have any such laws and they are MD and IL.
is there a list of these laws somwwhere? I have no idea about the laws in my state (NJ).

nak

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#66 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
After all the majority of car accident with injury happen within a mile of home. My last wreck was in site of my driveway.

I have heard this statistic also. That's why they say to buckle up even if you're driving around the corner.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#67 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
is there a list of these laws somwwhere? I have no idea about the laws in my state (NJ).

nak

google Latchkey Kids.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#68 of 71 Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM

I would be OK with my 7-year-old stepdaughter and her 9-year-old friend (who sometimes stays by herself after school and is pretty streetwise).

However, unless there is a huge uptick in maturity in the next two years, I won't be leaving my stepdaughter with a 5-year-old, when she's a 9-year-old. I think she's pretty good about handling herself, even now (though she hates to be alone, so I wouldn't leave her in the house by herself longer than it would take to walk to the corner and back), but not at all capable of supervising others.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#69 of 71 Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Meh

Maybe I read too much at Free Range Kids? I guess my standard answer is it depends on the kid. I'm confident my oldest DD (now almost 20) was fine at that age. My current 8.5yo, probably not. She's just too flighty and dramatic. My 16yoDS could easily handle it at that age.

I'm also of the opinion that the state can recommend to their heart's content, but ultimately I am the one raising my children, not the state. If I let myself get caught up in the 'what ifs' of life, we'd have to live in a thermonuclear protected underground bunker surrounded by bubble wrap, and that's just not nearly as much fun as it sounds like it might be.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#70 of 71 Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
If I let myself get caught up in the 'what ifs' of life, we'd have to live in a thermonuclear protected underground bunker surrounded by bubble wrap, and that's just not nearly as much fun as it sounds like it might be.
Are you sure it's not as much fun as it sounds like? Have you tried it? I suppose we would need to replace the bubble wrap pretty often though.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#71 of 71 Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM

not me.

SAHM to 2 daughters (conceived thru IVF) and one baby on the way (conceived without medical intervention)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page