Persistent child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a VERY persistent 4yo ds, and I am at my wits end trying to deal with it. If I say he, he either continues to ask the same thing (I do stick to my guns) or if I am trying to stop him doing something, he will just keep doing it. He is not trying to be naughty, he just has a very strong desire/need/will to do whatever it is he is doing. But he just ruined my craft project by doing something I said no to - I couldn't stop him physically because I was on the other side of the room, so I said 'No' firmly, but of course he did it anyway.

I have read Raising your spirited child, and I love the concept, but I think I need a whole book about persistent children (my ds is also intense and sensitive - aargh!). This book is great, but will probably be more appropriate when my son is a little older.

Any other suggestions of books/advice for an extremely persistent child? I know that it is a great character trait for an adult, but very trying for the parent of a child!
#2 of 3 Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. No advice just interested in what others have to say. This is my son exactly. It is VERY hard, VERY trying on your patience, I know. He is 7 now, and we are still working on it with him.
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd is very persistant also. I haven't found a book that is helpful, but I do find that it is helpful to be consistent and predictable. I have also found that I have to be persistant back at dd also. It is often very tiring, but I love to see her being so creative about going for what she believes she needs or should have. She also stands up for herself very well and doesn't doesn't let anyone push her around.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page