DD PL'ed for a year... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but now we're having accidents in public again?! Two today, one at a park (granted I had said I didn't see a bathroom, but I asked her to TELL ME and we'd go to one.)

The other in the childcare at the Y which they love.

She was *reallly* tired today, and I do remember ds doing this when he went without a nap.

Do i just start carrying extra clothes again? Is that going to send the message that this is OK? Do I put them in the van and not tell her? (this way I have them and I don't have to end an outing for the others...yet *she* doesn't know, so she won't start to just think this is no big deal and OK...)

this is all new to me, DS never wore diapers in public past about 2 years 6 or 7 months and never had an accident.

DD is 3 and 2 months. (She has been diaper-free since she jumped on a toilet on her second b-day and announced she was doing it.)

Oh and we've ruled out any sort of UTI and diabetes, she has her school physical tomorrow, I will be bringing it up then.

This has been going on awhile, sometimes we'll be fine for a long time then suddenly accidents again. I took her to the doc after one night at an LLL meeting where I took her to the bathroom 3 times in 90 minutes and a couple days later I took her when it was convienient and she PEED HER PANTS 30 mins. later on our way into our next stop.
It's seriously sometimes like I can't take her anywhere....like that day.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:59 AM

My DD is 4.5 and we still sometimes have accidents. I have noticed with mine that it usually is due to a) she is overtired (like your DD yesterday), b) she is coming down with something like a cold, c) neither of us is paying attention to how long it has been since she last went or her body's signals because we are intensely engaged in something or d) we have been super busy and not able to give her as much attention lately. We went through a phase of it happening more often right before and after her sister was born too, so part of that time was anxiety over the changes. I do keep a change of clothes in the diaper bag with me (or in my purse before the baby was born .. 3T underwear and pants don't take up that much room in a purse) as well as a plastic grocery bag to take home any wet clothes. She is usually upset enough about her clothes being messed up that I don't feel any other consequence is necessary. I will help her if it is a poop accident so I don't have a worse mess (yes, we still though rarely do get those), but pee ones, I have her change herself and help wipe up the pee with a paper towel, and at home, she puts the wet clothes in the laundry for me. As she grows older, it is happening less and less often though, so I think it is just something she has to outgrow. Of course, I remember having accidents myself sometimes as a kid even in grade school, so maybe there is some genetic thing with my DD? I just remember my mom being very patient and helping me out till I outgrew it and I am very grateful to her for that. Hopefully it is a short lived phase and she will get out of it soon!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#3 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM

My DD is 3 years 1 month and has be PL since 2 years 4 months. We still have urine accidents. It's usually when she gets distracted or is playing hard and doesn't feel the "urge" (our word for needing to go). It can also be a consequence of stubbornness. My DD does not take well to suggestions and really has to decide when she wants to go. Like the PP, she is definitely upset about being wet so we just change her and move on. I really try to make sure I don't turn it into a power struggle.

She actually has gotten better over the last month. For home accidents, things really turned around when we got her little potty back out (at her insistence- she had been using either the toilet alone or with an insert). It really empowered her to take care of her own needs without me (she couldn't get on the big potty w/out help) and I think it carried over to being out and about.

I just keep a pair of pants, underwear and a wet bag in my purse for emergencies.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well I took her to the chiro on Tues. and we have not had ONE accident since then. (well she did wet the bed last night but I don't count that)

She also had bronchitis last week and still has an ear infection which is being treated also with the chiro and garlic/olive oil eardrops rather than another round of antibiotics. (I did get her one for the bronchitis only because I had the same thing and they worked amazingly, within 12 hours, for me)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Hi there!

I was just about to post this same question. DD1 has been PL for, heck, I can't even remember now, it's been so long.....a year or year and a half. Now she is on the verge of turning 4 (in May) and she has accidents more days than not. I have taken her to the ped. and they've tested for UTI's but she can remain dry all day at school (they do not go as a group, they just go when they need to and she seems fine with this) and can also occasionally be dry all night! My feeling is that she is doing it for attention so we've tried ignoring it however hubby is getting tired of the ignoring not working. We've discussed it, she says she doesn't know when she has to go but as I said she can go for long periods of time where she goes on her own and remains dry. If we try and get her to "try" every say hour or so it's a huge ordeal with her saying "I don't have to go" or "I just went".....Oye! Yesterday I got fed up and set the kitchen timer for 30 minutes and every time it went off she would go and I'd give her a token and she earned a half an hour of TV. Yes, I've resorted to bribing her to pee!! OMG!!

Someone mentioned that they had some success with the chiro for a similar problem? I hate to take the responsibility off of her but she really does seem sincere when she says she doesn't know when she has to go until it comes out....could this be anything besides a UTI or diabetes both of which she's tested negative for? Hubby wants to start giving her a time out when she does it and has said to her "do your other friends pee in their pants?" to which she replies No. I don't want to make her feel bad so I need some alternative suggestions for DH since we are both getting frustrated that the ignoring is not working.

Working Mommy to Mariah born May 2006 and Julia born June 2008 Married July 2003 to my wonderful DH
#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM

Hopefully the chiro has really helped. I would just keep an extra change of clothes in the van in case you need them. I remember being 6 and 7 and still having accidents if we were playing outside.

I just stopped carrying extra clothes for my 5 yr old.

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#7 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe5763 View Post
I hate to take the responsibility off of her but she really does seem sincere when she says she doesn't know when she has to go until it comes out....could this be anything besides a UTI or diabetes both of which she's tested negative for? Hubby wants to start giving her a time out when she does it and has said to her "do your other friends pee in their pants?" to which she replies No. I don't want to make her feel bad so I need some alternative suggestions for DH since we are both getting frustrated that the ignoring is not working.
Children's bladders don't always grow at the same rate the rest of their bodies do. At various ages its easier and harder for children to control their bladders. Whenever their bodies change, some re-learning of bladder signals occurs.

You don't need to do anything except give it time.

She KNOWS the potty is where pee goes. No need to shame her.
#8 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM

I am hoping that our issue with this is linked to the time change. Micah has been using the potty for just shy of a year and he just the past week or so started having accidents. He has even been standing at the toilet screamingly adamant that he does NOT have to go, then pee... I have vascilated between thinking he is just looking for attention, too busy to stop playing to go, going through a "power struggle" phase, and now that he has just been too tired...We are working on moving his bedtime up a little bit so he can get some extra sleep. Fingers crossed that this goes well. Just when you think you are in the clear...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page