books about racism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for story books for our guys (6 yo and 3 yo) that show about racism. We're white and I'd like the subject to come up so we can talk about it. I'm no good at just bringing it up out of the blue. We have books that tell about MLK and Rosa Parks and such. What I would like is books that gently (I know it's not a gentle subject) tell about how racism effects people, I guess I would like something that isn't super preachy. It seems like sometimes people set out to write a book to teach something and they are very strident about it and forget to write a good book with good illustrations.
Any ideas?
#2 of 7 Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM

Check the book NurtureShock out at the library - they have a great chapter in it about all the research about race issues and children. Per the research, what you want to do is great! When we don't talk about race to our kids, they will learn that it's taboo, and make up their own reasons/rationales. Worth reading that chapter, for sure, if you haven't already.

We just read Follow the Drinking Gourd which is about the Underground Railroad (my dds are 6 and 3). Nice illustrations, and clear. We had a long talk (the six year old and I) about slavery and what it entailed, etc., afterward.

Our library had a book called Cumbayah (Kumbayah) awhile ago, in the kids' section, which I liked simply because it talked about the Gullah dialect - the illustrations people of all different backgrounds, which I liked too.

I don't know where you live - where I live, the last census showed that something like 99% of the population is Caucasian. There isn't a lot of interaction opportunity for our dds that include people of different ethnicities. So -- I do and have brought it up in conversation. We have talked about why people have different skin colors or etc. (from a biological anthropology perspective, my background, I've probably been far too detailed in talking about population dispersal patterns etc. ), and that skin colors have no impact on what people can do, and that all people deserve respect and support and compassion, etc.

I would add, at the same time it's probably a good idea to reinforce what you've taught about not commenting on other peoples' bodies, hair etc. unless you're speaking directly to them and know them well (or however you've described that to them) - otherwise, you're likely to have a kiddo commenting loudly about the guy at the Y being African-American or something. Which some people are understanding of, but others, not so much.

I think (or should I say, hope?) that exposing the girls to books that have pictures of kids from different backgrounds etc., and history too, will help lay a good foundation in our situation .... We recently checked a book that was 'quilts for 50 states' with each quilt square accompanied by a couple paragraphs about that particular state -- without realizing it, I ended up giving Ina a cliff's notes summary of American history, including the Mason-Dixon Line, Missouri Compromise, Civil War, etc. etc. It was also a good platform for beginning discussions too. The book is Quilt of States, and National Geographic is associated with it. My dd1 is really into history, it might not be as interesting to a kiddo who's less interested in history...

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 7 Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have read nurture shock, and heard him interviewed on npr. That's part of what's inspiring me.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get them out of the library.
We're going on vacation this summer in Maryland near where Harriet Tubman lived so I'm going get some books out about here and the underground RR.
#4 of 7 Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Not specifically about racisim, but Todd Parr's "It's Okay to be Different" is a good one.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#5 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You might want to try Julian Lester's Let's Talk About Race.

It talks about race as being part of who people are, important but not everything. It also gently introduces the idea of prejudice and how to get beyond it. We have it for our kids but haven't read it yet. Mine are 3 and 1 and I think the book might be good for four and up.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 PM

My kids do have a Sesame Street book ( I can't remember the name) and it is about Elmo and his new friend who is a different colour monster. Very age appropriate. It starts out with Elmo not knowing what to think of a new friend (Angela) because she is a different colour. He then goes to her house and sees that her family is just the same as all other families, blah blah blah. Might be a good one to start the conversation.
#7 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&S Mom View Post
My kids do have a Sesame Street book ( I can't remember the name) and it is about Elmo and his new friend who is a different colour monster. Very age appropriate. It starts out with Elmo not knowing what to think of a new friend (Angela) because she is a different colour. He then goes to her house and sees that her family is just the same as all other families, blah blah blah. Might be a good one to start the conversation.
I was going to mention that book, too! - it's called "No Red Monsters Allowed".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page