The most nerve-wracking thing (to me) about starting kindergarten is the 8am start time - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before we started homeschooling 7:45 was when he had to be in his classroom.

6:50 if we wanted to get him on the bus, and for a time we did not have a car we could drive, so 6:50 it was.

You're going to have to simplify and stream line. If you want them to have a hot breakfast, you'll have to get up and get moving sooner.

They can dress themselves, quickly, just set the habit of laying things out te night before. You could even have a "pile for the week" or in baskets, whatever.

For us breakfast was usually oatmeal, sometimes cereal, and if we ever had a 'big breakfast' for dinner, I re-heated some for breakfast. Lunch was pretty much always the same. PB&J (when it was me making my lunches I would toast and butter a bagel the night before since I don't like pb&j, and always worry that mayo or meat will go bad between walking out the door and lunch time) a piece of fruit, some kind of veggie, and pretzles or some other kind of snack cracker. I sent water with him, and would give him change for milk. It's not perfect but it works.

Set alarms, time for you to get up, the kids, when breakfast needs to be on the table/off the table, and time to go. You'll get it down to a science before you know it.

That doesn't mean that there won't be days that you don't wake up until you should be leaving!! But you should be able to get your kids to school on time more often than not! (it was always fun waking up at 6:50 as the bus is backing out of your street, when you have to run a van that might not make it back to the house, if it makes it the 2.3 miles to the school.!!!0

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#32 of 41 Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

We (hopefully) start K next Fall.

First bell will be at 7:45 and class starts at 7:52.

Bus pick up will be between 7:20 & 7:30. Yikes- and we ARE morning people, just not that early.

Mine will do 1/2 day K and they have an early bedtime. We may have to move it earlier for the first few weeks as they adjust.

I second PP advice:

make breakfast ahead, lay out clothes, etc. You can even do breakfast at school (our offers hot healthy choices of oatmeal/eggs/etc as well as milk/cereal).

What we do is have a night light turn on in the room at wake-up time (6:30) and then the kids usually wake up naturally within the half hour due to the bit of light. That way I am not waking them, but we still get moving pretty early.

Contact your school and check the 'late' policy. Ours can call a truancy officer if you have X amount of late mornings or absences and it can actually be taken to court---though 99% of the time they simply send 'reminder' letters to get kids to school on time and help write up a plan to improve the problem. It sounds harsh and sort of is, but the schools have to report tardies/absences and it can affect state funding on how many kids they have 'in class' on certain days (count days). Also chronically late kids can miss important information first thing in the morning and/or part of the instructional time.

Now their bio rhythms are pretty set to this and they wake/sleep about the same time everyday.
#33 of 41 Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 AM

This was one of the factors which led us to homeschool. Dh works from home, and works best in the evening/late night. So trying to adjust the girls' and my schedules to accomodate getting dd1 to K by 8am every day (and dd1 essentially never seeing her dad except the weekend, since she'd be tired and off to bed so early at night every night) was something I really worried about. Our schedules have been based on dh's forever, and that would have been a rough transition (both girls are night owls like us).

I think (KNOW) that we had family and friends really relishing the fact that we were going to have to start keeping "regular" hours once dd1 started school.

But, given how much we travel, the school's rigid and inflexible attendance policy, etc., homeschooling came to make more and more sense. We are in a 'virtual school' and love it.

Not all who wander are lost.
#34 of 41 Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM

lately, i've had to take my 4-year-old son to school (KG starts at age 4 here.) i am not a morning person so we get up around 7:15 a.m. or so. we get dressed (today i got up before 7 so i could have a shower b/c my youngest DS was still sleeping so i had the chance) as soon as we get up. daddy makes DS's lunch before he goes to work, i pick out DS's clothes the night before, and DS has something to eat when we get downstairs while i get my younger son ready to go and into the buggy. around 7:40 or 7:45, i tell DS1 to get his shoes and coat on and away we go. we leave the house by 7:45 or 7:50 so he can get to school before their 8:15 start time. generally we get there around 8:05 or 8:10; it's about a 1k walk. luckily, DS isn't a dawdler so we get all of this accomplished very easily.
btw, he's at a catholic school. the public school is double-bussed with them so we got the short end of the stick and the public school starts after 9. darnit!!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#35 of 41 Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 PM

I too was horrified by the 8am starting time for kindy. Suffice it to say that both dh and I (esp me) are REALLY REALLY not morning people (REALLY).

Forgive me if I repeat what someone else has said (I didn't read the other posts), but... Some things that have helped us are: having lunch made the night before, dressing dd in school clothes the night before (I do this if dh is out of town and it's just me in the morning), having breakfast planned and keeping it simple (and something dd will like so she'll eat it up quickly) OR eat breakfast (bagel and creamcheese or the like) in the car, have book bag packed and ready to go by the door, in winter have all outside clothes (snowsuit, hat, gloves, etc) ready to go by the door), and multi-task (brush dd's hair and put it in a ponytail while she's sitting eating breakfast, etc).

I can (honest to god) go from dd asleep in bed to out the door in 15 mins. Of course it is much more pleasant if I allow at least half an hour. The alarm is set at 7 and we leave at 7:30 (I say "we" but I have to set the record straight that it is usually dh who takes dd to school )

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#36 of 41 Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 AM

Preschool for the boys starts at 8am. We get them up at 7am, go potty get dressed, five minutes for this unless someone's got the runs-in which case they aren't going to school anyway. Breakfast-bowl of cereal, organic cereal bar, or bagel with cream cheese or jam. No fancy stuff here-there's no time. Every once and a while DH will get up extra early and bring back some donuts from around the corner, but otherwise its gotta be simple and quick. No long commute here, thank goodness but gotta be out the door by 7:40am.

I JUST found out that the kindergarten our kids will attend, and that our oldest might start at in the fall starts at 9am. Kudos to our district for having a HUMANE start time for young people! You can make it work-believe me. Set that timer on your coffee pot the night before. When you get up, there it is-hot and ready.

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
#37 of 41 Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could move here. My kids don't start school until 11. And the best part? We can do that schedule until 8th grade.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#38 of 41 Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM

I really like our early morning start, they end at 2:30, so I get to spend a fair bit of time with them before bedtime.
Please try not to be late! I am on "late slip" duty every two weeks, and it's the same kids coming in late all the time. Some don't care, but others seem embarrassed by it, even though by and large it's not their fault, it's the parent's fault! All the volunteers are friendly about it, but the kids still get that they're late.

You've gotten lots of good tips, here are a few extras;
- have a timer that goes off 5 minutes before it's time to leave? We've never done that, but a friend of mine does, but with music.
- Easy clothes to put on - my kids lived in sweats in kindergarten.
- If driving, we have audio books to listen to in the car, so they look forward to the next installment & getting in the car

I always try to cuddle with my kids the first 5 minutes after they get up, I find that little bit of connections starts the day off well.

Mama to my 2 boys
#39 of 41 Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM

When I was a kid, we were ALWAYS late to school. It was mostly my mom's fault. She was so slow in the morning to wake up, to decide what she was going to wear, to put her make up on, etc. I hated it! As an adult, I also have lateness issues - inherited, modeled, whatever - so I do what I can to prevent it.

1. ALWAYS give yourself 15 minutes more than you think you'll need. Part of my problem is that I almost always underestimate how long it will take me to do anything. Especially now that I have kids.
2. Do as much as you can the night before. My kids are at home and in preschool, and I already pick out their clothes (and mine!) the night before, get cloth diapers/supplies ready to go, etc.
3. Clean the kitchen the night before. Many mornings I have derailed myself by waking up to a dirty kitchen (ok, by this I mean a sink of dirty dishes) and
then feeling like I have to clean it before I can do anything else.

Good luck!
#40 of 41 Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 AM

I'm worried too! K starts at 8 am. Usually, we all stay up late, DD has pre K this year 3 days a week that starts at 9:30. It is really tough and we have to make sure that on school nights she gets to bed by 10. I don't wake her up till 8:45. Somehow this summer I have to work on getting her schedule reset so that she goes to bed earlier!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#41 of 41 Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 AM

Wait 'til your kid gets up at 5:30am.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page