Book about religions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a child's book that describes different religions throughout the world?

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM

There are quite a few of them -- many are aimed at the 8-12 age range, but a few are intended for younger kids. These are ones I've gleaned from various searches. There are also series of books about individual religions - so one about Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Judiasm, etc. Libraries have a section (200s in the Dewey Decimal System if you care) that you could browse.

One World, Many Religions (says ages 9-12, but I think younger kids would get something of out of it)
The Kids Book of World Religions (grades 3-6)
The Usborne book of World Religions (ages 9-12)
A Faith Like Mine (grades 4-8)
Humanism, What's That? A guide for curious kids (grades 3-5)
Religions of the world (grades 8 and up)
Sacred Myths: Stories of World Religions (ages 9-12)

Not religion, but a good topic to cover scientifically if you're talking about creation stories:
Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 8 Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I'll check some of those out. I was hoping for a book geared toward younger children, but that may not be out there.
#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 AM

#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

I have books on my site about Blessings from different religions and also one of Festivals. Not exactly what you're looking for but it could be a good jumping point.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 8 Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
npd

What Is God? (Paperback)
~ Etan Boritzer

http://www.amazon.com/What-God-Etan-.../dp/0920668887

I'm cutting and pasting Amazon's description - they say grades 4-6, but we read this with our 3, 6 and 7 year olds and they loved it. It answered a lot of questions for them - a very balanced and non-judgemental book. Excellent - we loved it.

Here's Amazon:

Gr 4-6-- A provocative look at the concept of God that differs greatly from the Judeo-Christian idea of God as a person rather than as a vacuous feeling or entity. Major world religions are introduced in combination with the well-known teachers representing them (Moses, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed), and whose words evolved into a library of Holy Books: the Bible, the Torah, the Koran, the Sutras, and the Vedas. Similarities are drawn among these faiths, showing common strands of truth and prayer as a universal tool of communication with God. Brief discussion is given to those believing in multiple gods as well as to those who experience religious persecution. Boritzer's attempt to synthesize and make accessible the many concepts of God results in the New Age concept/belief of pantheism. Marantz' Henrik Drescher-like illustrations are bold and bright watercolors, occupying full pages that face the poetic free-verse text. At times they serve a somewhat decorative purpose, but usually expand and elucidate elements in the narrative. The reasoning process used throughout may occasionally prove too abstract for many children, making this a picture book for older readers. It will be best utilized by religious-education teachers and parents. --Celia A. Huffman, Cuyahoga County Public Library, Cleveland

~~ Natalie ~~
Loving and learning with my DH since 09/1992 , DS1 03/2002, DD 06/2003 and DS2 09/2006
#7 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM

I started reading this series on Religions of the World to my daughter when she was 3.
http://www.amazon.com/Hindu-Religion...3153830&sr=1-1
They are told from the point of view of a young child and are very simple. We like them quite a lot.
#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM

The Usborne one is really good, my almost 3yr old loves reading it on his own and asking 5million questions about all the pictures!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page