Take 8-year-old to memorial service? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that too young? The memorial service is for my mom's SO of 20 years, so a significant person to my DD. DD was very, very upset when he died (back in December). Next month, there is going to be a memorial service at his church, and the cremains are going to be buried in their memorial garden. I'm not sure whether to bring DD--she is sensitive, and very scared right now of death, ghosts, etc. But DH thinks it will be good for her to go. Would you bring her if you were me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM

I'd probably leave it up to her. Let her know what the memorial entails, and she can decide if she wants to attend or stay home.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Yep, I'd let her decide. My son's 8 and very sensitive about death. If my mom's so died, I know he'd be very upset, but he'd probably want to go to a memorial service.
#4 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I would. I think it's important to have children see the memorial, remember the person and be able to grieve with everyone else. At 8, she's old enough to not be a disturbance to people and old enough to get something out of it.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM

I would let her decide.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM

If she wanted to go, I would definitely bring her. I would probably encourage my child at age 8 to go.
#7 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would take her, unless she was opposed to it. I think it would be good for her, it might help with her fears. The unknown is scarier than reality.

Decluttering 500/2010
#8 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 AM

I agree letting her decide is best....I also agree with your DH. It will likely be a helpful experience for her.

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#9 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse95 View Post
If she wanted to go, I would definitely bring her. I would probably encourage my child at age 8 to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
I would take her, unless she was opposed to it. I think it would be good for her, it might help with her fears. The unknown is scarier than reality.
I wouldn't force an 8 year old to go, but I would make going be the default position and make them be truly opposed to not take them. My brother died 2.5 years ago, so when my kids were 5 & 8 and both of them attended the memorial. Last year when their great grandpa died (so at 10 & 7) they both also attended.

#10 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 AM

I would take her if she wants to go.

When dh's grandmother died two years ago we took ds and dd1 to the visitiation/memorial service. They were 6 and 4 years old at the time. It allowed them to grieve with the family and gave them some sense of closure to the loss.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#11 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
yes i absolutely agree - esp. with v. close family - a memorial service helps find closure, really helps kids. however i think its also important to ask your dd what she wants to do and if she sounds indecisive then gently encourage her to go.

dd at 5 lost two of her favourite persons within months of each other. stepgma had a memorial service in which she sang. gpa didnt want anything, so dd and i invited a friend and we did a v. ritualistic service just for dd and me and that really really helped dd find closure.

21/2 years later she still cries when something reminds her esp. of gpa.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page