Happy FOURTH Birthday, May 2006 Babes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May is a big month for us and deserves a new thread, don't you think?

#2 of 128 Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 AM

OMG our babies are growing up. I am so happy, sad, and terrified all at once!

Back later when I'm not needing to go to bed.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#3 of 128 Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Yep, good time for a new thread!

No, Sydnee & I don't share our birthdays - Birth Day - day we gave birth!

We had a good time on my May babe's b-day. DH & I had to work, but DS1 & 2 stayed w/their grandma, and baked a birthday cake and then we all went to a family friend's house where we had a bonfire birthday party! Hotdogs & marshmallows (), cake, soda (double ), and then firecrackers of various kinds (tripple and - but he loves them so!) It was a lot of fun, even though we had to work and even though DD had a cold & was a cranky baby.

Hope your birthdays coming up are fun, too!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#4 of 128 Old 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Great idea Amy & perfect timing!

LO's b'day is the 16th. For her gifts I have bought her: her own fishing pole (all the other kids have them & we do a lot of fishing while camping), a fairie doll, and two fancy princess nightgowns. She's going to love them! We'll have a small birthday party/cook-out the weekend of her b'day, ladybug themed. Gotta put the big kids to work on the games & decorations!

LO's preschool help a Mother's Day Tea Party today. It was too sweet. Then when we came home I had a lot of cooking energy for some reason, so I made beef stew in the crockpot, fresh bread in the bread machine & rhubarb bars w/rhubarb from the garden. It's been a nice, peaceful day. I like when that happens.

Any special Mother's Day plans mamas? We are taking my & dh's parents out to a Mother's Day Brunch at a nice restaurant by the beach. Then dh & the kids have planned a special fondue dinner they are going to make for me out on our new deck (which dh is in the process of refinishing) on our new deck furniture (which is my Mother's Day gift). It's so nice to have dh able to do things around the house again!!! That is the best Mother's Day gift.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#5 of 128 Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what we are doing for Phoebe's birthday. She told me this week she is expecting a pinata, and named a few people she'd like to celebrate with, which happened to be the same people we had already told we'd be doing something. She hasn't started in with the outlandish cake requests yet. I should start prodding for hints about what she is imagining.

I'm not aware of any Mother's Day plans here, but I guess I should let dh know I'm expecting there to be some kind of special treatment so I'm not disappointed!

Mama Beakley, that sounds like a great party! I might steal some ideas from it, actually!

Max, I'm so happy for your family that your dh is feeling better.

Almost time for bed--I need to finish getting the kitchen cleaned up. Have a lovely evening, everyone.
#6 of 128 Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I am finding it hard to believe dd is 4 this month too.

We are planning at kids party with the girls from school and then a second party with family, g-parents, cousins etc. It should be a busy weekend.

DD wants a robot theme, a pink robot cake, robot craft and if she had her way a real robot (think Asimo).

We are going camping this weekend and I reminded DH that mother's day is sunday so we will see what happens.

mum2row DD 3yrs & DS Oct/09
#7 of 128 Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Happy Birthday to my big girl!

She is having her last music class, then on to a fun-filled day with her best girlfriend. Should be fun!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#8 of 128 Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Happy happy birthday to your big girl!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#9 of 128 Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 AM

Our birthday is today! Woo-hoo! It snowed pretty hard yesterday, but it's supposed to get to 60 today, so that will be great We're having the bday party on Saturday (pin-the-tail on the donkey! old-fashioned kid games! woo!) so we're not going all out tomorrow but...Ok, I kind of am. Making german pancakes for bfast with strawberries and sugar, going to Orion's favorite park, then to McD's for lunch as a treat, then for a walk/knitting playdate with my best friend (she has 7 kids so they keep mine well occupied!).

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#10 of 128 Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Happy birthday Phoebe, Orion, and Blue Lotus's big girl!

mum2row, when is your dd's birthday? I love the idea of a pink robot cake.

I am having so much fun asking Phoebe what SHE wants to do. I love that kids can have a special day that is all about them. What a treat.
#11 of 128 Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Whoops, I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Happy Birthday to everyone's babes!

I spent $100 at the thrift store yesterday on interview clothes (& some stuff for the kids). DD hates shopping as much as I do :-(

But, today is another day! We got a new stove & I'm thrilled (and impressed by DH installing it himself.)

My ILs are packing their car to leave for their half-way-across-the-country new home. Yikes.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#12 of 128 Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Happy Birthday Phoebe, Orion & Blue Lotus's dd!!!

#13 of 128 Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM

my dd's birthday is the 21 i cant believe shes 4 what happened?

she wants a dress up party at the beach with a pinyata, cupcakes and wants to play bingo. i should just leave all the planning up to her i guess. lol

were gonna have it at lunch time and ask guests to bring a sandwich and we will do the rest thats how we did it when she was 2 and it worked well- it should be a fun celebration

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
#14 of 128 Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Hello May Mamas. How's everyone doing these days? Busy celebrating the big 4? How was everyone's Mother's Day? Ours was really nice. Dh & the kids really did a great job making me feel special.

Mamabeakley, sounds like things are moving right along w/the interview process. What is the position you are applying for? Are you staying in RE? Or is it doula-related? Sorry to hear about your ILs move across the country. I remember you saying how much you'd miss them. Our ILs just announced they are planning to sell their house & move away too. (Our plans to house share have fallen through, due to differing financial needs.) I'm really sad about it & feeling a bit abandoned for the sake of the kids. They are going to be devastated. And it is going to leave us w/no family support in the area, which is pretty scary.

#15 of 128 Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Happy Tuesday, mamas! We are doing well, lots of rain which makes for dumpy days, lol. We really needed this rain, so I won't complain too much I had a wonderful Mothers Day, got breakfast in bed with flowers and homemade cards, can't ask for anything better than that!

Mamabeakley- I'm sorry to hear about your inlaws moving I can imagine how hard that would be to not have the support. Good luck with the new job process!

Max- I'm sorry to hear about your situation too. I know how excited you were about the idea of sharing a home. How far away will they be?

Alaskaberry- How did the party turn out?

I wanted to show you the gift I made for my mom, she LOVED it! It says, "You taught by example, I learned by love"
http://homespunkitchen.blogspot.com/...thers-day.html

I hope it's ok to post my blog addy? I'm not advertising or anything, lol!

#16 of 128 Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Oh, Max . I do have that abandoned feeling on behalf of my kids - and somewhat for myself, too. I mean, we set our lives up to work here and then they leave - but really I know that they are doing what's best for them right now and that we will find our feet. Actually I feel really grateful that we HAVE had a way of life that worked well and know that it's possible!

Sydnee, I think you can post links as long as you're not advertising or selling anything. Oddly, you can also post links AFAIK to OTHER people selling things - just not yourself. So you, for example, could post a link to my website

We'll see about the job interview - I'm thinking of it as me interviewing them as much as them interviewing me - it's a 1/2 time DRE (church) job - and although I want to move, I'm not willing to do it for a job I will hate.

Lunch at the beach sounds great, Sewcool!

#17 of 128 Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Hey mamas!

Whew, lost the thread for awhile there! DS1's birthday was Wednesday-- he woke up to a decorated living room with his presents waiting for him, then got to have birthday cake for breakfast (as well all did, yum!). He had another celebration at his uncle's house on Thurs, will have his friend party on the 30th (lots of long weekends in May in France, so we decided to wait till the end of the month) PLUS a school celebration at some point. Lucky guy!!

DS2 is 3.5 months old and such a big guy (over 18lbs at this point) and such a sweetie. He really, really wants to be sitting up by himself, and does pretty well as long as the Boppy is behind him. He's also teething, poor guy.

And my ILs are here! Lol. (Just realized it's been a really long time since I posted!) They came about three weeks ago, just when DH had to leave for a week-long trip to India. I was glad to have the company as both boys were really sick and I was dealing with some crazy stuff, which, if your a FB friend you heard about! Buuuut, now it's getting a little old. I'm having flashbacks to their stay after DS1 was born and I'm still angry about that. Ugh. That said, with two kids there's enough work to do to keep everyone occupied, and we're in a much larger space which means slightly more privacy/alone time for everyone.

In other news, aside from my personal blog and the magazine I'm editing, I'll also be contributing to an intercultural parenting website as a regular blogger. I'm very excited about that! It's awesome to have a creative outlet...

Hope all the May mamas are well. Love to all the four- and soon-to-be-four year olds!
#18 of 128 Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi Mary. Good to hear from you. Happy Birthday to Geo!!! Sounds like he had a very nice birthday (cake in the morning sounds great to me) w/plenty more celebrating to come. Good luck w/the IL visit. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

We celebrated LO's b'day today (actual b'day is tomorrow). We had a family cook-out w/both sets of grandparents and my nephew over. It was fun. We spent most of the time outside, enjoying our new deck furniture.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

#19 of 128 Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mary, that sounds like a cool blogging gig! And happy birthday to Geo!

Max, happy birthday to your LO!

Phoebe's birthday was today and we had a fabulous day. My parents are here visiting and we had a brunch party with 3 families that we are close friends with and dh's cousins. Phoebe ended up with tons of gifts! She had a pinata and I made her cupcakes that were delicious, even if the frosting was lumpy. Colored sugar sprinkles can make even the goofiest frosting look good!

Tomorrow we are taking my parents to Acadia National Park for some exploring and sightseeing. We never go there unless we are entertaining guests, which is silly--people come from all over the world to visit Acadia, and we only go there a couple times a year, even though it's only 45 minutes away. It's going to be gorgeous weather and we'll tyr out the kite Phoebe got from her friend.
#20 of 128 Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Happy birthday to Max and ecoteat's LO's!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 of 128 Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Happy Birthday to the LO's I missed!

Well, I got the job I was interviewing for! I liked them pretty well, and I guess they liked me. I am waiting for a financial offer (which I expect will be reasonable) before making a final decision . . . but it's looking like we will be moving about 180 miles away - to where my family lives - in about 2.5 months. Yikes! I'm trying to stay focused on today and what I need to do NOW so I don't get completely distracted by all that will have to be done for that to happen.

Like DH will need to find a new job. Yikes.

DS1's first portfolio review for homeschooling is on Thursday.

DS2 had his 4 yo physical & apparently has a small heart murmur, which really doesn't concern me since everyone in DH's family has one and they aren't a problem for anyone. But I'm supposed to take him in for blood tests since apparently it can be an indicator of anemia.

DD will be dedicated (UU version of christening/baptism/naming) this Sunday, which means my mom is coming to town for the weekend and we are having a bunch of family over for a potluck Sunday afternoon.

And that's our news . . .

#22 of 128 Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Just found this thread!

My big girl turned 4 yesterday!! Had the party this past Saturday!!

We've (dh and I) been sick since last week and now my big girl got sick - yesterday - on her birthday. She seems a bit better today at least.
#23 of 128 Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
t1h

good gravy im behind with our thread! . may babes! dh needs 'puter so gotta run, again . love ya guirls! bbs...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#24 of 128 Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 PM

bumpity-bumpity May Mamas!

How's everyone doing?

We are hot & grumpy here - all of a sudden it is 85 degrees and feels like 100 instead.

Be back soon.

#25 of 128 Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

I'm on the class trip with my 8th graders and I'm hanging out alone in a hotel room watching the Sopranos (edited! They keep bleeping out obscenities, which is hilarious--it's the f-ing Sopranos!) while the kids are killing time in another before we head out for whitewater rafting. I love my job. I can't wait to get out on the river with these kids!

DH and Phoebe went on their own little trip while I'm gone. I was prepared for a teary goodbye when I left yesterday, but my brilliant dh timed their trip so that she was more focused on that than my leaving. I guess she was sad for a while last night at our friends' house where they are staying, but it's all going pretty smoothly.

Any more birthdays to celebrate this month? How's everyone doing?
#26 of 128 Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Happy Birthday to any babies I missed!

The rock tumbler that is my life continues . . .

all the kids got sick this week, all are now mostly recovered but with lingering snot/congestion.

DH was offered a full time job, but it was a desk job that would make him miserable, so he didn't take it. That's probably good since it was here as opposed to where we're trying to move to.

My grandfather seems to be having mini-strokes and has been in and out of the hospital.

I'm still negotiating with the church that wants to hire me.

And I went to my first birth in over a year. I was the sibling doula for a 2.25 year old who never woke up, so I just sat and listened to a lovely homebirth and helped a little bit afterwards. DD came with me and also slept through the whole thing! And DH was home and able to let me sleep way in the next morning.

Hope you all are well!

#27 of 128 Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Hello May Mamas. How are all those 4 year old doing these days? Everyone starting to gear up for summer?

We are all well here. LO is finishing up her preschool year w/lots of outings & excitement. (It is a co-op preschool that all my kids have gone to, so I'm very involved.) She is doing really well w/her eye glasses. Her vision has improved significantly already.

This summer we are just hanging out for the most part. We'll be doing lots of camping, beach, and other fun outings. The big kids may take tennis lessons. Otherwise, lots of R & R. (Around here it's all about scheduling your kids for summer camps. Almost everyone I see asks what camps I've signed the kids up for. We've done a couple in the past, and I'm not impressed.)

Hope everyone is well. :

#28 of 128 Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM

AAAAAGGGHHHHHH! DS2, my May babe, had a TWO AND A HALF HOUR FIT this morning because I wouldn't help him get dressed. (I had been ready to, told him he had to do it now or I wouldn't help, and his dad & brother were both willing to help him instead. I was willing to lay out his clothes if that would help.)

I did eventually lose it when DH told me *I* was being ridiculous.

It ended with me holding his hands and holding his shorts with his hands and stuffing his legs into them. Then I took him with me in the car down to the corner gas station to fill up.

If that kid ever decides to climb a mountain, he will succeed.

Okay, vent over.

I'm worn out, though .

#29 of 128 Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Mamab--wow! He sure knows how to get what he wants! Orion throws a fit if I try to help him get dressed at all (unless he's got his shoes stuck in his pant legs b/c he put them on first).

Max--it sounds like a fantastic summer!

It is pretty smoky here (we have 82 fires, with 400,000 acres already torched). It's the normal cycle for the boreal forest to burn, but the problem is trying to contain the burns so they don't burn down homes and villages! So, the smoke--pretty yucky. Not so bad where we live, but in town it's pretty nasty mid-day. And hot. And windy! We are going to see my parents in 2 weeks, however, so it'll be a nice break from the smoke! The only thing disappointing about it is that DP was supposed to come back on the 14th, now he tells me he's staying another week, so the kids won't see him for *two months*! Orion is pretty upset already that daddy isn't coming to Vt with him.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#30 of 128 Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey girls! School, work, house, kids, husband, , I'm worn out! I need a seeeeerious vacation. Everything is non-stop all the time. I'm thankful and grateful for my life but I'm exhausted .

I haven't really been able to log in here for a while. Gah! It's time to go to work! Then home for more studying. Nobody ever said this life would be easy though. How boring that would be anyway!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page