Is she really hungry? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds exactly like my DD1 who is almost 5 and very slender. I feel like we're never done eating (always mroe dishes to do!), but I know it's good for her to eat often. She doesn't like a big breakfast when she first wakes up (maybe some toast, or a bit of oatmeal) and then is really hungry for something by 9 or 10am, which can be tricky if we're going someplace. My challenge is making sure that "snacks" are as nutritious as "meals".

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#32 of 34 Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 PM

My 6yo dd is a big eater...but she eats about 8-9 times each day...when it is possible.

However, I'm with the other mammas suggesting a larger amount of food for breakfast if your LO is hungry for more at that time. We do a smoothie (berries, kiwi, almond milk, yogurt, hemp oil, hemp seeds, spirulina, greens powder, and beet juice) with whatever we have which is often yogurt and granola and berries, or sprouted grain bagels with almond butter and an avocado, or mixed grains with applesauce and a banana. It sounds like a lot of fruit...but it's really fueling her well for the day.

Smoothie - 6:45am
Breakfast - 7:30am
Snack (whenever she decides at school) - apple, grapes, melon, seeds and dried fruit
Lunch - 12:30 - leftover dinner and raw veggies (often a substantial salad as well)
Snack (again whenever she decides at school) - veggies and hummus, spirulina seed balls, crackers with cheese, hardboiled eggs...
Snack (when we get home )4:30-5 - as above...similar snacks, but often also homemade muffins or sprouted grains with almond butter
Dinner - always an excellent vegetarian meal
Snack - something before bed...yogurt, banana, carrot, cucumber

I'm never concerned about dd's weight because I know we are feeding her good food and she is growing and active. She's a 45lb 6 yo.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#33 of 34 Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Thank god for mothering.com. I have been wondering this for so long. My 5yo eats me out of house and home. She eats more than I do. I'm glad this is normal. I have always wondered if other kids did this. She sure does.

SAHM to my DD 4/05 aka-chloequestionasker and TTC #2 this fall
#34 of 34 Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoirseC View Post
Sounds normal, though I did notice most of the items you listed are kind of higher-carb.
I didn't really list everything she eats. We mostly eat animal proteins at dinnertime and she's very much a protein kid. I can barely get her to eat grains at dinnertime. She's happy mostly to eat chicken or salmon or whatever protein we're eating.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page