3yo huge potty regression Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3yo has been out of diapers full time since Feb. I had another baby Mar 19, and I expected some potty regression. When my milk came in, my 3yo started wetting the bed, I figured since we are tandeming, and there was a lot more milk. So, we just went to diapers night time, and she was still fine during the day.

She has had a few accidents, but lately they are increasing dramatically. She still is not having poop accidents, thank goodness. However, we are now to the point where more pee goes on the floor than in the potty. We offer to take her to the potty periodically, and she refuses most of the time. Sometimes, I see her dancing and waddling and I ask her if she needs to go, and she STILL says no, then wets herself 3 minutes later. This is all new behavior. When she starts wetting herself, she hollers "I'm peeing!" and sounds somewhat distressed about it. But, she runs around in circles instead of running to the potty like she used to. I say "go to the potty", but the only time she makes it is if I pick her up and carry her, which I often can not do fast enough because she waits until she is already going and I often have the baby in my arms.

She seems like she can not feel the urge to pee, or like she can not identify the feeling as needing to go until it is too late. She feels the need to poo just fine, and makes it on time totally independently, also showing me it is not a new fear of the potty or feeling like she can't do it by herself.

How can I help her? I just decided to put her back in diapers today to take the pressure off of both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM

We went through this a few weeks ago, and we did nighttime diapers too and during day went back into cloth training underpants. What seemed to help was this: I also asked her what were some ideas we could try to help her remember to use the potty, and together we made up a big list of ideas. We agreed on 1) she'd like me to get a little potty for the downstairs (we dont have a first floor bathroom) and 2) go back to giving rewards (Smarties or M&Ms) for each time she successfully peed in the potty. If she peed on the floor again, I didnt react much, but asked her to help clean it up then to go sit for a minute on the potty and "practice". no reward. Within 2-3 days of starting to do those things, the whole episode and regression seemed to end. Having the little potty downstairs in a private place (she chose the spot) also seemed to help greatly (Prior to that, she didnt ever use it so it wasnt out).

Good luck mama!

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM

You cross-posted, so I will cross-respond

A lot of potty regressions appear surrounding stressful events. It sounds like you just had a baby, and that is likely to be the root cause. Also, at this point in potty training, a child will often test how long she can hold it before she has to stop what she is doing to go, and often this results in a series of accidents. Also, if you are getting upset or stressed out by the accidents, it may adding to her stress.

Our major stressful event was moving halfway across the country followed by an additional regression following the time change when we lost an hour. When I was stressed by the accidents, they seemed to increase. When I calmly explained, "Pee-pee goes in the potty. Let's get a new pair of undies so you can be dry again." (or some similarly calm explanation), the number of accidents stayed about the same, and then slowly decreased.

Have you tried letting her go completely bottomless during the day so there are less steps between "I gotta go!" and sitting on the potty? Have you tried having the potty in the room where she is playing so there is less time taken up by "travelling" to the potty?

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)

User Tag List