He wants a Mario Bros party at Chuck E Cheese - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ugh, I miss the days when I had total control over the birthday theme and location!!

So what kind of garish parties have you had to throw for your LOs?

ETA: Also, he wants a guitar and lessons as his present (yes, his b-day isn't until October, but he's thoroughly thought it through already ). Does anyone have suggestions for a nice starter guitar for a 6yo? I want to get him an instrument, not a toy, but on the other hand I don't want to spend a ton since I'm assuming we'll need to start with a smaller guitar that will need replacing in a few years.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how u feel. But he'll it!

We gave DD a Hannah Montana party at Chuck E Cheese's. She still talks about it.

We got DD this child's size guitar. It is soooo beautiful.
http://www.hearthsong.com/product.asp?pcode=363

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#3 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM

We've had a Mario Bros. party (and a Hannah Montana) and Chuck E Cheese - though, not together. You could definitely bring Mario plates/cake/etc to CEC.

Guitar lessons sound awesome.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
I know how u feel. But he'll it!

We gave DD a Hannah Montana party at Chuck E Cheese's. She still talks about it.

We got DD this child's size guitar. It is soooo beautiful.
http://www.hearthsong.com/product.asp?pcode=363
That guitar looks perfect, and it's the perfect price too -- thank you so much!!

And it's good to know others have been there with the awful themed parties. I'm so dense, I always thought it was the parents' idea to throw them, but now I'll have much more sympathy for the poor mom standing there handing out token cups when we attend parties at CEC!

#5 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I had a party for my dd at a pizza place where they let the kids make their own pizza, they let us open presents and bring our own cake also. We did that two years in a row (though one year we only brought three close friends) because it was cheap and fun. I prefer the parties we throw in a home (preferably in grandma's home) because the kids actually interact with each other and have fun until it is time to go home. At the parties we have been to at Chuck E Cheeses and Pojos the kids go from machine to machine and run out of tokens quickly and they aren't as fun. There is also always someone who gets very few tokens and goes home crying, sometimes it is the birthday kid.
#6 of 15 Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM

You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
That guitar looks perfect, and it's the perfect price too -- thank you so much!!

And it's good to know others have been there with the awful themed parties. I'm so dense, I always thought it was the parents' idea to throw them, but now I'll have much more sympathy for the poor mom standing there handing out token cups when we attend parties at CEC!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#7 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 AM

We had pirate invitations with Pokemon decorations and plates and a Mario cake! We did a joint party for the boys and they couldn't pick just one theme. It was an at-home party with a bounce house and snow cone maker! It was awesome!
#8 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I prefer the parties we throw in a home (preferably in grandma's home) because the kids actually interact with each other and have fun until it is time to go home. At the parties we have been to at Chuck E Cheeses and Pojos the kids go from machine to machine and run out of tokens quickly and they aren't as fun.
That's always been my experience at CEC too -- except for the pizza/cake portion of the party, I always feel like DS and I are there by ourselves. Not much fun IMO, but it's what DS wants. Sigh.

#9 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a note on the guitar...We bought a child guitar for my oldest for Christmas. When she went to her first lesson the teacher would not let her use it because he said it was a toy. It was advertised much like the one linked was, so I had no idea and was pretty embarrassed. We ended up having to buy a 3/4 sized guitar from the music store for her to use instead. He said a lot of parents buy those child ones because of how they are advertised but they are pretty much useless to learn on.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#10 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Just a note on the guitar...We bought a child guitar for my oldest for Christmas. When she went to her first lesson the teacher would not let her use it because he said it was a toy. It was advertised much like the one linked was, so I had no idea and was pretty embarrassed. We ended up having to buy a 3/4 sized guitar from the music store for her to use instead. He said a lot of parents buy those child ones because of how they are advertised but they are pretty much useless to learn on.
Hmm. Based on that advice, maybe find the instructor first and get their advice on a child-sized guitar? You might even be able to find a used one at a music store.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAnn View Post
Hmm. Based on that advice, maybe find the instructor first and get their advice on a child-sized guitar? You might even be able to find a used one at a music store.
Yes I wish I had done that, and my daughters guitar is used, it was $65.

Sorry op for steering your thread off topic

#12 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you think even the student one (which is 3/4 size) advertised in the link would be considered in the "toy" category? I was considering doing that one anyway because the site says the child one is for ages 4 and up and the student one is for ages 8 and up. DS will be 6, but he's a little big for his age so I was just going to do the student one. But maybe I'd be better off buying it at Guitar Center or something.

#13 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM

The Heathsong one is a 'real' guitar, not a toy. Ive seen it in person and its really nice.

I LOVE heathsong stuff - its all good quaility, I have toys from there I got when I was a kid.
#14 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you think even the student one (which is 3/4 size) advertised in the link would be considered in the "toy" category? I was considering doing that one anyway because the site says the child one is for ages 4 and up and the student one is for ages 8 and up. DS will be 6, but he's a little big for his age so I was just going to do the student one. But maybe I'd be better off buying it at Guitar Center or something.
I don't know they may prefer steel strings, but it would probably be fine. The reason why he said the child size was a "toy" is because the frets are not spaced properly and is almost impossible to tune correctly. This is what we bought my daughter.

#15 of 15 Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Back on the Mario party topic - I think you could have a ton of fun with that theme. You could do little question mark boxes with treats in them as party favors, if you were at home you could have a coin/mushroom/fireflower hunt in the backyard, play musical chairs to music from the video game... the possibilities are endless. Maybe you could talk him out of the CEC part?

love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page