Do you have dinner together as a family? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you have dinner as a family together?
Yes, usually 172 78.90%
Sometimes 24 11.01%
Almost never 19 8.72%
OTHER 3 1.38%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moreso when DH is in town. Now, we may not all eat the same thing - DH and I will eat whatever he cooks and DS gets what he wants (sometimes).

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#62 of 65 Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Almost never!

I grew up eating family dinner every night. So I eat family dinner every night with the kids. But DP does not...he sits in front of the TV...when I ask him (nicely) to come and eat with us, he says "they're too annoying to eat with" about the kids, or he eats right before he goes to bed at 3 am. He doesn't put them to bed or give them their bath (his idea of a bath is scrubbing them up right away with no time for splashing at all, and he doesn't read ever, so no books either before bed), so it's like I'm a single mom even when he *is* home from the Slope.

Wow, I didn't mean for that to turn into a rant! Sorry OP!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#63 of 65 Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 AM

My husband and I are both full-time students and we are taking all of our classes online, so we have all of our meals together as a family. We sit in our bar stools at the counter to eat, and then my son crawls up onto the counter to "help" me wash the dishes after our meal is over. =]

My husband will be changing schools this Fall, though, so our schedule is going to get messed up by that. I'm so sad...I knew it couldn't last forever, but it's been so nice having the whole family together like this! I am going to do my best to make this summer last forever.
#64 of 65 Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Almost never!

I grew up eating family dinner every night. So I eat family dinner every night with the kids. But DP does not...he sits in front of the TV...when I ask him (nicely) to come and eat with us, he says "they're too annoying to eat with" about the kids, or he eats right before he goes to bed at 3 am. He doesn't put them to bed or give them their bath (his idea of a bath is scrubbing them up right away with no time for splashing at all, and he doesn't read ever, so no books either before bed), so it's like I'm a single mom even when he *is* home from the Slope.

Wow, I didn't mean for that to turn into a rant! Sorry OP!
You sound like you're really in a tough situation. And hugs to the other pp who also said her dh won't join in for family dinner. There are hints sometimes of that attitude in my dh (not wanting to be around kids when it's too much work or too loud, etc.) and it's really unbecoming. My family growing up was more tolerant of kids just being kids, than my dh's parents, I think. Not too many rules and I felt (from my angle as the kid, anyway) that my parents just enjoyed our company.
Anyway, not having dinners together seems it can be a symptom of other things going on the marriage, a general feeling of not being a team together, not connecting enough. Why is dinner so symbolic?
I like that some people do breakfast together instead - maybe everyone's mood and behavior is better in the morning so it would be more pleasant all around. We often do brunch on weekends together, and I should remember that we at least have that!
#65 of 65 Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM

yes we do. it's a must and that's the time for wrap-up talk about what happened the whole day.

Hipkidz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page