Boys/puberty/"armpit stink?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd first started getting noticeable "armpit stink" shortly after her 8th birthday. I was expecting the boys to get theirs a bit later, but ds1 just turned 8 mid-April and now he's got "armpit stink." Noticeable enough that when you hug/cuddle/etc or he's jumping around in front of you, you get the waft.

Is this an indicator of puberty? Is it younger than average? I hadn't done a ton of reading about the intimacies of boys' puberty yet, but I'm wondering if this is the sign I should start preparing. I've mentioned the overviews to him, including ejaculation, before, but when I brought it up again last night he'd forgotten about it (hair growth, ejaculation, and so forth).

Good links/resources for parents to read about the intricacies and ranges of boys' puberty?

Also, good books for boys? I got DD the American Girl book when she was about 8; somehow I thought it would be irrelevant for another year or two at least with my boys, but wondering if I'm just blatantly misinformed?
#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I was reading a puberty book from the library to my dd that talked about the stages of puberty in girls and boys and underarm odor and hair growth were in them. The book on early puberty we read mentioned that before 8 is early for girls and before 9 is early for boys. Here is a link for the Mayo Clinic, I am not sure how reputable they are but I have heard of them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pre...uberty/DS00883
#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM

a couple of books....

What's going on down there? (I can't remember the entire title but that is the beginning)

What's happening to my body? for boys (there is one for girls, too)
#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 PM

The stink is really stale sweat though. Specifically, bacteria which enjoy living and prospering in the sweat. The apocrine glands don't kick in until puberty, but certainly kids sweat before that age (our newborn has been sweating since the beginning of his life .. thanks to dad's lineage likely) and while it will almost definitely get stinkier later in life I don't think that necessarily means he's at puberty already, it might just be the natural presence of bacteria already in your environment, summertime, etc, all combining. Not that it's impossible I guess but I didn't start masturbating until a few years later. When that happens you'll know about it sooner than later I imagine. While I didn't mark it on my calendar my best guess was age 11 for me when it all started to turn.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#5 of 5 Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM

I'm curious about this as well. Ds1 (9yo) has no noticeable odor, but he has complained that after PE or some other sweaty activity that he can smell his armpits, and he's asking to use deodorant, like his dad. But, I feel like it's pretty normal to smell a little sweat after being particularly sweaty, but that I would notice if it was at all a problem. Even on hot days I don't notice anything about him. So, I have told him no about the deodorant, talking about why, but I feel wary of not honoring his request.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page