UTI or normal for a four year old boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to post this here rather than health and healing so I can find out if this is just normal four year old boy behavior or if something could be wrong.

My four year old used to sleep through the night with no pee accidents. Lately his trainer has been wet and he wakes once a night to pee. He says that his Dad doesn't here him soon enough and a little pee comes out (so I guess it's not two times of peeing in the night...just one he says)

A couple days ago he was complaning of his penis itching a lot. I had him take a bath and he says it only itches every once in a while now- not all the time. I'm going to try to get him daily baths from now on when I can. That hasn't always happened around here. He is still itching and grabbing a bit though.

If it's a Candida issue (itching) we're about to knock out grains/sugars in our home so maybe that would help.

On the whole he is a happy kid. I've just been concerned about his itching/grabbing and peeing at night combo.

Is this pretty normal or no?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My son has complained here and there that it hurts and I have had DH look at it. He says it been red a few times. Dh says its probably from him playing with it. I don't see him play with it much but its never a constant complaint so I haven't worried.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#3 of 4 Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does it hurt when he urinates? That's the sign I tend to look for for a UTI, but that's not to say it's a fool-proof one.

My boys are all uncirced, and have had plenty of grabbing and pulling of their parts in their lifetimes. We've never had candida issues, nor UTIs, though I'm always on the lookout for them. FWIW, candida LOVES warmth and moisture, so bathing may not be the best cure for that. Naked time, especially in the sun, would be good, though (if you have a private backyard, or he can play near open windows inside and still get sun).

Has anything changed with regard to him eating or drinking more at night, close to bed? Is he overall drinking more, or lower in electrolytes? Brainstorming, mostly, but if there is something perhaps situational, I'd not be worried.

I do think it's worth mentioning to your pedi, even just in a call to the nurse/doc, if it's a continuing problem and you're worried about it. Checking for a UTI is pretty easy, and if he DOES have a UTI at this age, it could signal other urinary tract issues that you'd want to look into.

(Disclaimer: I have a friend whose son has major urinary abnormalities and I was talking to her about them last night, so it's on the brain!)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM

i have found that my 4 yo has lots of accidents and an increased need to urinate small amounts when he is stressed about something.

it should be easy for your pedi to check for a UTI

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page