What do you feed your picky eaters? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (5yo) is a picky eater. I am running out of ideas on what to feed her that is somewhat on the nutritious side. DH works away most of the time so I don't do a lot of cooking and I need some quick/easy meal ideas for my picky eater. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also what your picky eater eats in a typical day would be helpful too. Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM

My DS has some sensory issues and is very very picky about food. He won't eat a "regular" meal at all now. He'll only eat crackers (and most snack type things like Luna bars or Pirate Booty), yogurt, applesauce, craisins, waffles, French toast and bananas.
To fill in the gaps, I make him smoothies. A typical smoothie gets: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, peaches, blackberries (all frozen), banana, yogurt, kale or spinach or some other leafy greens, green powder (nutritional supp), whey protein (I used to use rice protein) and juice or water.

Hope that helps if even a little bit. DS once ate pasta and broccoli and carrots and onions and different sauces and tofu and refried beans all kinds of other goodies. I know all I can do is continue to ask him to try new things.

DS 6 DD 8
#3 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM

subbing

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Smoothies
Frozen bananas and mangoes, vanilla yogurt, vanilla whey protein, Oasis brand Fibre Juice-a splash, 2% Milk, sprinkle of Flax meal

Pita and Hummus
Peanut butter (all peanut) and fruit spread on whole wheat bread/english muffin

I make mac and cheese (box type) but I add in a handful of shredded cheese and 1 jr. jar (babyfood) of butternut squash (I opt for whichever has the most fibre). The squash and chees make it a bit richer but add in a serving of veggies and real dairy.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
My DS has some sensory issues and is very very picky about food. He won't eat a "regular" meal at all now. He'll only eat crackers (and most snack type things like Luna bars or Pirate Booty), yogurt, applesauce, craisins, waffles, French toast and bananas.
To fill in the gaps, I make him smoothies. A typical smoothie gets: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, peaches, blackberries (all frozen), banana, yogurt, kale or spinach or some other leafy greens, green powder (nutritional supp), whey protein (I used to use rice protein) and juice or water.

Hope that helps if even a little bit. DS once ate pasta and broccoli and carrots and onions and different sauces and tofu and refried beans all kinds of other goodies. I know all I can do is continue to ask him to try new things.
We do the smoothie trick, too. I sometimes add almond butter and vitamin powder.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
We do the smoothie trick, too. I sometimes add almond butter and vitamin powder.
Oh! You just reminded me. Raw nuts, coconut butter and Udo's 3-6-9 are all things I add as well (just not daily except the Udo's). I bet there are tons of things to add. Smoothies are awesome.

DS 6 DD 8
#7 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Thankfully, DS likes V8 so he drinks a serving of the low sodium a day. I'm ashamed to say that's about the only vegetable he gets a day.
I also closely watch his protein - he'll eat cottage cheese (sometimes), Fage Greek yogurt, almond butter (I'll add a bit of baking coco and honey to make a dip for fruit, graham crackers, etc). He also eats a lot of grilled cheese. He is also open to food with white beans. I should try humus...
I almost cried last week when he ate 3 bites of a beef taco!

Julie - Wife to Louis, Mamma to Ben (11/06) and 2
#8 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
DD is picky so i pretty much feed her the only foods she will eat every single freakin day.

Every day she eats
yogurt
cheese stick
glass of milk

either a hamburger/turkey dog/or baked chicken nuggets

quesadilla or grilled ham and cheese sandwich

3 or more pieces of fruit (apple/banana/kiwi/melons/oranges/clementines/berries/nectarines/mango/plums)

one veggie - she will eat artichoke/roasted broccoli/roasted cauliflower/corn on the cobb/mashed potato/baby carrots. That is it so i have one of those for her each day.

She will of course eat plenty of carbs - cheddar bunnies/granola bars/pirate booty etc but i limit that to after she has had a protein and fruit.

I just hope that with her eating a good variety of fruits that it will be okay for her to be a little low on the veggies. I did find that making roasted veggies made her more likely to eat them.
#9 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
DD is picky so i pretty much feed her the only foods she will eat every single freakin day.

Every day she eats
yogurt
cheese stick
glass of milk

either a hamburger/turkey dog/or baked chicken nuggets

quesadilla or grilled ham and cheese sandwich

3 or more pieces of fruit (apple/banana/kiwi/melons/oranges/clementines/berries/nectarines/mango/plums)

one veggie - she will eat artichoke/roasted broccoli/roasted cauliflower/corn on the cobb/mashed potato/baby carrots. That is it so i have one of those for her each day.

She will of course eat plenty of carbs - cheddar bunnies/granola bars/pirate booty etc but i limit that to after she has had a protein and fruit.

I just hope that with her eating a good variety of fruits that it will be okay for her to be a little low on the veggies. I did find that making roasted veggies made her more likely to eat them.
Is it just me, or does this child's diet actually sound pretty good? My kids eat totally differently with us than with my mom, who can get them to eat almost anything.

With us, it's almost all fruit, but with veggies, it's only cucumber, carrots, and sometimes sweet bell peppers, broccoli, tomato, cauliflower, corn, but often not even those. Oh, and they love potatoes, if that counts as a veg.

Meats: chicken hotdogs, meatballs, chicken wings/drumsticks, and I think that's about it!

Carbs: bread, pasta, rice, quinoa (mixed with the rice), waffles, and anything with sugar in it!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#10 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM

I only wish my son would drink smoothies and eat the food listed here. Feeding Therapy hasn't helped so far but I'm trying to find yet another feeding therapist to try.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#11 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
Is it just me, or does this child's diet actually sound pretty good? My kids eat totally differently with us than with my mom, who can get them to eat almost anything.

With us, it's almost all fruit, but with veggies, it's only cucumber, carrots, and sometimes sweet bell peppers, broccoli, tomato, cauliflower, corn, but often not even those. Oh, and they love potatoes, if that counts as a veg.

Meats: chicken hotdogs, meatballs, chicken wings/drumsticks, and I think that's about it!

Carbs: bread, pasta, rice, quinoa (mixed with the rice), waffles, and anything with sugar in it!
ha! it might sound good comparatively (to worse eaters) but this is what i have been cooking daily for 6 years. The burger buns/tortillas/and bread is all crap too - she wont eat any sort of semi healthy bread
I have her try what we eat and 95% of the time she balks. Ds (2y/o)on the other hand eats eggs with spinach and salsa with me for breakfast and eats 95% of what we eat. The only thing he flat out will not eat is salad. So it is crazy making to cook tilapia and asparagus for the rest of the fam and yet again make a grilled cheese for miss picky.

ETA - and it isnt like she just happily eats it either. It is just that i give her a choice of what we are eating or a staple i know she will tolerate. she still grumbles but she grumbles about everything but fruit/snacky carbs/sugar.

Even this morning i tried making something fun - waffles with blackberries and whipped cream. She fought over eating half a freakin waffle. I feel like waving my white flag.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page