hitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is three and he loves weapons and super heroes and play fighting. I didn't really get time it seemed to think about when these things were ok to introduce because of all the males in the family, DH and his uncles. Anyway, it wasn't a problem until recently, a smaller problem comparatively is that he walks up to kids he doesn't know and tries to play fight with them without introduction. But recently he has started hitting when he is angry or in inappropriate ways. Last night he punched his Dad in the face because he tried to pick him up and carry him to bed when he didn't want to go. This morning he was playing with his pet rabbit and started punching it. That was just too much for me and I just lost it. ( yelling,agast, removed the rabbit, ranting, and crying) I dont like violence it sickens me. I was ok with the playing hero but if that is to blame for the other behaviors then I dont want any of it. The other day he punched some little girls at the park because they told him not to pet their dog. He seems to understand that hitting people is not okay but then it keeps happening again.
Hitting an innocent creature is not okay on any level. I was just so horrified I couldn't even try to put it in any perspective that allows for his age or the fact that he told me he was trying to play with the rabbit. He is usually so gentle with animals, and also with babies and girls(boys he trys to play fight with) But recently the hitting has increased. I just dont know what to do.
#2 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

i know that's upsetting. you could talk to him about what superheroes should be and since he's playing superhero he shouldn't be hitting harmless people and pets and things. it would also help i guess if you choose the movies and cartoons he watch. if you don't get any good result with this approach then you could always seek professional help. hope things get better on you soon.

Hipkidz
#3 of 4 Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM

For a three year old this is common behaviour as is slapping, kicking and biting. Hard to take but common. Everyone dealing with him has to react the same way. I had to deal with a biter. Try and anticipate the reaction and distract him before it happens, remove him from any situation when you think he might punch and very firmly tell him no when it does. When he is punching people he is lashing out because he is still learning about the complex set of emotions that he cant yet verbalise. My own children are 17 and 13 years old but I look after two 3.5 year olds and I can quite clearly see parallels between my 13 year old and the younger ones. They are growing up and their reactions are changing much like a rebellous teenager struggling with major hormones!

With distraction, firm "no's" and removing him from other children when I thought biting was a possiblilty worked. Hopefully it can work for you too.

Good luck
#4 of 4 Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM

I think the last poster gave good advice. Remember that this is a developmental phase that he is working through rather than a character flaw. Minimize situations where you think he might hurt or upset other children or animals and deal with it in a straightforward way.

I don't know that I would connect it to super heroes, my oldest was a super hero kinds of kid and he never went through a hitting phase whereas I have seens kids struggle with hitting or biting who don't have any interest in heroes or other fighting characters.

Hang in there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page