Anyone have tricks for making a girl pee? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I googled it, and I got a lot of inappropriate sites. Have call into doctor, just waiting...

So, my 4.5 year old daughter has had a stomach bug. Yesterday, we ended up having to take her to urgent care, and she had to have an IV with fluids to get rehydrated and a catheter since she wouldn't pee, and they needed to do a urine test.

When they drew the pee, she had LOTS of it. She just refused to pee. And it was a good color, and when they tested it, there was no infection.

So, today, she tried to pee in the morning, and it really hurt her, so she stopped. I tried putting her in a warm bath and told her to pee in there, but she wouldn't. A while later, I sat her on the potty again, and she started to pee, and the same deal happened. Tried warm bath again, and she won't go.

My daughter is not at all fond of going to the bathroom as it is, but now she has this additional trauma. I told her that I knew it hurt, but that she needed to pee in order for it to get better. It's just not happening.

Does anyone have any tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

She may be sore from the catheter. Sometimes those leave you sore, and it burns when you pee. So she may be holding it to avoid the pain. Is it possible, too, that she's still mildly dehydrated?

What I'd do is ply her with fluids-- even if you have to resort to sweet beverages, to get her to drink. Fill her up with fluids, and eventually she'll be full to bursting, and she'll HAVE to pee. When she does, if it feels ouchy, reassure her that it WILL get better. Then continue with the fluids for a few days, until the soreness passes, and she pees a few times without pain. That'll help her realize that the soreness is temporary.

Running the water in the bathroom, while she's trying to go, can help too.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about the plying her with liquids, too. The problem was that at least through yesterday, if she drank anything other than water, she would puke. I made her some herbal tea today, but she's just sipping at it. She is on some anti-nausea medication, too, so maybe I'll give her some juice. I'm just nervous about it because I don't want her to puke anymore.

I have tried the running the water in the bathroom...doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for your suggestions!
#4 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM

for liquids, see if she'll eat a popsicle & keep it down.

When she goes to sleep tonight, after she's been asleep for a while pick her up & put her on the toilet. IF she's tired & kinda still sleeping she won't fight going. We used to do that with our middle dd for pooping.

Did it hurt her to pee yesterday? If not as a pp said she could be sore from the catheter, they can also get UTI's from catheters so while she didn't have one yesterday she may have developed one.

Would she be willing to wear a diaper for a day or so(as long as it wouldn't regress potty learning)
#5 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

It did not hurt her to pee yesterday, but she was so dehydrated, she barely peed. I think she is sore from the catheter, too--just trying to get her over it.

I spoke with her doctor. He said that it's the culture that comes back that is key to determining if she has an infection, and that will take a day or two.

She has been refusing popsicles, but I haven't asked her today. This is the first day she's been eating, so maybe she'll take one.

She'd be more than willing to wear a diaper. I was thinking of that, too. My doctor said I should use it as a last resort. She's sleeping right now. We'll see what happens when she wakes up.

Thanks!
#6 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the diaper a last resort because of potty learning (regression) or something else?

Without knowing anything else about the situation, I'd be inclined go with the diaper, to let her get her body functioning properly again, and then worry about possible regression.

Mom of two girls.
#7 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have dd drink lots of water or juice when she is sick so she needs to pee. I find that turning on the water to a trickle sound helps to get a kid to pee even if they initially insist they don't need to go.
#8 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM

If she is up to eating some nice cold watermelon that may help. It makes DS pee like crazy when he eats watermelon.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#9 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Something I remember from being post partum...

What about, sitting her on the toilet, and then when she starts to pee gently spraying her vulva using a peri-bottle (is that what it's called? - you know... the thing they give you to wash your perineum during the post-partum period) filled with warm water. It might give the soothing relief that she'd get in the bath, but she'd be on the toilet so maybe more willing to go. Alternately (if you don't have one of those bottles on hand) you could gently pour warm water between her legs from a cup or whatever.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#10 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM

I was also going to suggest turning the water on a little bit.....maybe while she's on the potty pouring some warm (or cool, whatever feels better) water between her legs once she starts going? I've done that for myself and it takes the sting away.
#11 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

The warm water/peri-bottle is a good idea. I've tried the running water--it got her started once, and then she panicked.
#12 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM

The warm water bottle, Yes!! Hope that works.
If its just the right temp she will go along while you are squirting and she might not even realize she's going.
I couldnt go when I had a catheter removed and this was the only way I could pee for a week.
#13 of 22 Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 PM

what about some ibproufen? For pain and any inflamation from the catheter.
#14 of 22 Old 06-19-2010, 12:16 AM

I'd be careful about pushing a lot of liquid, it is possible to get so over hydrated that it throws off electrolytes. In rare cases people have died from drinking too much water without peeing.

Caffeine is a natural diuretic.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 22 Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 AM

my dd had a bladder infection once and we let her pee while taking a shower.... for some reason she was much more comfortable that way.
#16 of 22 Old 06-19-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post
The warm water bottle, Yes!! Hope that works.
If its just the right temp she will go along while you are squirting and she might not even realize she's going.
I couldnt go when I had a catheter removed and this was the only way I could pee for a week.
She FINALLY peed!! The peri-bottle did the trick. My daughter wouldn't go for it at first, but then I told her that a friend of mine (aka a nice stranger called mom2happy) hadn't been able to pee after having a catheter, and it was the only way she could go, and when she used it she didn't even realize she was peeing. I told her this information, and she wanted to know exactly who this person was. I fudged the truth and told her you were an old friend of mine she never met (hope you don't mind), and then she said okay.

She sat on the potty, and I began to squirt. I had to refill the bottle like 20 times. She was really scared. She didn't want me to stop putting the water on her though. Then, finally, she started to pee. She said it only hurt for the first little bit, and then she was fine. She peed for a good long while, and we are both very relieved.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful suggestions!
#17 of 22 Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 AM

I 2nd the peri bottle. I'd also like to mention that my 4 yo pees only 3 times a day on a regular basis - in the morning, in the afternoon and before bed. We have to prompt her to go each time. Sometimes we forget to remind her to go in the afternoon so she'll go 12+ hours without peeing and she is fine. Just has a bladder of steel. So don't panic if all day goes by and she doesn't go.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#18 of 22 Old 06-19-2010, 01:29 AM

a little OT, but out of curiosity does anyone know if using a peri-bottle with a boy(sitting of course,lol) would work to get them to pee. I work with an 8yo autistic boy who we've been trying to potty train but he rarely pees on the toilet.
#19 of 22 Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
a little OT, but out of curiosity does anyone know if using a peri-bottle with a boy(sitting of course,lol) would work to get them to pee. I work with an 8yo autistic boy who we've been trying to potty train but he rarely pees on the toilet.
Don't know, but might be worth a shot! My DS is 7.5, on the spectrum, and still sits to pee.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#20 of 22 Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 AM

yay!! I'm glad it worked.

I was also going to suggest peppermint oil. I've heard of the 'trick' being used by doulas and midwives to help mom's in labor empty their bladders.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#21 of 22 Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
yay!! I'm glad it worked.

I was also going to suggest peppermint oil. I've heard of the 'trick' being used by doulas and midwives to help mom's in labor empty their bladders.
Ok, this might be a dumb question, but exactly what would you do with the peppermint oil? I had issues peeing in labour and afterward and I am interested in this!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#22 of 22 Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM

the smell of the oil is supposed to help you relax enough to pee. A few drops into the toilet between your legs or if you can put the drop on your thighs.

I have not yet had to try this, but have heard that it works.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page