reusable containers 5 yo can OPEN! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to use reusable containers for DS's lunch... In preschool they'd open the little containers for the kids and have everything laid out for them when they came in to eat. Now that he's in Kindergarten (summer camp at kindergarten) they're not doing anything for the kids, my girlfriend says "welcome to public school, babe!"...

DS wants baggies because he can't open his stinkin' food containers! I put his sandwich in foil anyway (because I toast the bread and we don't put hot things in plastic) but his crackers, fruit, etc have always been in little gladwares...

Any thoughts on ones that are easy to open for little hands? He's also afraid it's going to fly out all over when he opens them, which even happens to me sometimes so I can't blame him.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 PM

I know there are more expensive ones that might be better choices, but I sent my daughter with some of the Ziploc reusable containers with the twist off lid last year for a summer program when she was 4 and she was able to handle the twist off lids. They held up well in the dishwasher. They are BPA-free to the best of my knowledge, in case that's important to you. I don't know if they make very small versions, but they were small enough for me to fit in her lunch bag.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We had the exact same problem this year in kindergarten. Well, they did provide help at DS's school, but he said that he'd sit there with his hand raised for help but by the time they got to him he wouldn't have time to eat after they opened it. I knew he was telling the truth because he'd bring home containers of his favorite things (like cherries) uneaten. Poor kiddos!

We started using the snap-top and twist-top containers instead of the pop-top ones, and DS has no problem with those. I haven't found any that are quite as small as my smallest pop-top ones, but other than that it's worked out great.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 AM

There are the cloth sandwich wraps and cloth velcro seal pouches. The pouches are good for dry things. We also have stainless Kids Konserve containers that have a soft plastic lid that my 4.5 yo's can manage.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 AM

DS has had the four side snap lids since he was 3.5 and he manages well...they snap up and down on the sides and then slip off easily so no flying lids. We love them, but the cloth velcro ones are WAY cuter!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
We had the exact same problem this year in kindergarten. Well, they did provide help at DS's school, but he said that he'd sit there with his hand raised for help but by the time they got to him he wouldn't have time to eat after they opened it. I knew he was telling the truth because he'd bring home containers of his favorite things (like cherries) uneaten. Poor kiddos!
That happens to my ds, too. It's so sad!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

snapware! http://www.snapware.com/

Mama of three.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
We use these for preschool and school. Ours are the food network ones from Kohls. They appear to be identical to snapware. Both my 2 year old and 6 year old can open them.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommybree View Post
I know there are more expensive ones that might be better choices, but I sent my daughter with some of the Ziploc reusable containers with the twist off lid last year for a summer program when she was 4 and she was able to handle the twist off lids. They held up well in the dishwasher. They are BPA-free to the best of my knowledge, in case that's important to you. I don't know if they make very small versions, but they were small enough for me to fit in her lunch bag.
We use these too. both my 2 year old and 6 year old can open them.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM

My toddler can manage the snapware style containers. If I were sending her someplace with a lunch, I'd probably get something like http://www.snapware.com/W-60884009.html
Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM

On a similar note - and one I was getting ready to post - what do you do about drink containers? I don't want to send juice boxes or bottles. I'd like something not too big but that he can use. I worry about spilling. We're getting this lunch bag so it needs to fit this size.

Does anyone use the cloth reusables for sandwiches? I've seen so many, and I love them, but DH thinks they're...dorky. He thinks DS will be made fun of if we use them.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
On a similar note - and one I was getting ready to post - what do you do about drink containers? I don't want to send juice boxes or bottles. I'd like something not too big but that he can use. I worry about spilling. We're getting this lunch bag so it needs to fit this size.

Does anyone use the cloth reusables for sandwiches? I've seen so many, and I love them, but DH thinks they're...dorky. He thinks DS will be made fun of if we use them.
I wanted to buy that lunch box. But I didn't because I was not sure about where to put a drink. Looking at the size of it, it seems the food would fit, but the drink would not. There is no drink holder on the outside of it.

We were using a Lands End lunch box that I wanted to replace. The Lands End one was a fine size and had the drink holder on the outside.

We use these:
http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-0-4-L...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Intak-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And the thermos Foogo straw cups too.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

My kids use the Thermos Foogo straw cups a lot when we're out and about, but I find it pretty big for the lunchbox, so DS uses this Klean Kanteen in his lunchbox. I kind of like it because if I fill it with ice and water (and wrap it in a napkin to absorb condensation), it doubles as an ice pack to keep stuff like string cheese and yogurt cool until lunchtime without having to find room for an ice pack. It doesn't leak at all, and is much smaller than his other water bottles.

We do use the cloth reusables for sandwiches and dry snacks like crackers, and DS thinks they're cool and never mentioned anything about his classmates saying otherwise. I let him choose his fabrics from Snack Taxi and he chose robots, gears, hockey, and spaceships.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Visionary, my dh thought the same thing when I decided no more juice boxes and disposable lunch bags. He was sure the kids would ride him hard...turns out everyone thought it was super cool, and next thing we knew everyone had them.

We have a little 8oz drinking bottle with a screw top lid that has a little flip up opening. I just got a generic one at my supermarket, but it reminds me of the sort of thing Rubbermaid makes...like this one:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091206

Sports pop up top bottles are also wicked popular here, but I find they get gnarled up by the teeth always popping them up and pushing them down...kinda of grody after a while.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lock N' Lock are the best ones IMO. My 4 year old can open them very easily and they don't leak.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Half-pint mason jars. We use mason jars for everything!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Ds is not yet 3 and can open his Lunch Bots. They are stainless steel. I have some too, I really like them, although I wouldn't put yogurt or anything like that in one. My major complaint would be that the paint on the lids (the different colors) is flaking off!

User Tag List