Need help. Just bought a house next to a pool owner (Update in post #33) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally get wanting to have a lovely outdoor space where you can feel relaxed about your kids playing. I know your neighbours just put up a new picket fence, but honestly I think in your case I'd just go ahead and put up a taller privacy fence right next to it. Make sure the place where your kids would be playing is totally fenced in with a high and secure enough fence that you don't have to worry about them getting out. I don't think this is the only solution or the best solution for most people, but if what you are looking for is a safe-as-possible relaxing back yard then I think that's what you need to do.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 07-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Call your local code enforcement office. In our area, any pool over 24 inches deep is required to have an 8ft privacy fence with locking gate surrounding it. Then it's up to them to comply with code and not you left worrying about it. If that doesn't work, I vote you install your own privacy fence with locking gate.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#33 of 37 Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Here's an update on what is going on. I spoke with my realtor who spoke with the owner's realtor about my concerns. I was informed that the neighbor does have a lock on the fence immediately around the fence. So my children will have to get over two locked fences to get to the pool. The owner said the neighbor is very nice and very careful about keeping the pool locked since there are so many kids in the neighborhood. That gives me a little bit more peace of mind.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#34 of 37 Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopie2001 View Post
Here's an update on what is going on. I spoke with my realtor who spoke with the owner's realtor about my concerns. I was informed that the neighbor does have a lock on the fence immediately around the fence. So my children will have to get over two locked fences to get to the pool. The owner said the neighbor is very nice and very careful about keeping the pool locked since there are so many kids in the neighborhood. That gives me a little bit more peace of mind.
If it were me, I'd insist on talking with the neighbor personally, in addition to what the real estate agent. When I was house hunting, I had a real estate agent express my concern to the seller's agent, who talked to the the seller. The agent told me that my concerns were unwarranted, and I almost decided to go ahead with purchasing the house. However, I was skeptical that the agents communicated the seriousness of my concerns, and because the sellers were not local, I had the agent read a letter from me word for word over the telephone to the sellers with very specific questions from me. The sellers gave me answers that confirmed that my worries about the house were valid, and that the questions that I had originally asked the agents to convey to the sellers were never asked. I immediately pulled out of the deal.

My point is that "your agent"s primary goal is to get you to buy the house. It would be nice to think that the agent's first goal is that you will be happy with the house once you move in, but that is the agent's secondary, not primary goal.

So I suggest that you just knock on the door of the neighbor, introduce yourself, and have a little friendly chat, just to confirm what the agent told you the neighbor said.
#35 of 37 Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

I would talk to the neighbor too about locked gates.The seller and realtor just want to sell.

I would recommend you install your own fencing.We did chainlink,but it sounds like you will need a wood or vinyl one to discourage climbing.In OH they have the attractive nusiance laws where you could get sued when a child trespasses on your property seeing something they want to get into,and then they get harmed.Silly law IMO since it really should be the parents who watch their own kids.

I would be nervous about water and kids too.Just read of a toddler that drowned in a mini pond during a family gathering.Gotta watch these kids 24/7 and do some water safety lessons with them every year, so they will hopefully float not dorwned if they get into water unsupervised.My dh's brother drowned and he was 9 or 10!
#36 of 37 Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Don't worry about the fence=rude issue.It is VERY common for new homeowners to move in and make adjustments to the house and property to fit THEIR needs.

Your first step though is a boundry survey.The mortgage survey is nothing.I found that out when I had estimates for fencing in our yard.Just hope that the survey does not show their fence is over,or anything else for that matter.When we moved in I had a surveyor marking out the boundary in the spring.Neighbor came out to see what was up,and I told him that I plan to have a fence installed,and was doing a survey to make sure I put the fence in the right place.Our fence has been up for 2 years now.
#37 of 37 Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

mattmma04,

thanks for the support and I am so sorry to hear about your brother. My husband and I talked about the fence and I think we are going to get one as soon as possible. I really don't feel comfortable with the fence that's there now. I was trying to find a isr (infant swimming resource) program but the nearest instructor is 2 hours away. I did find a YMCA program to enroll them and I will be constantly supervising them.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page