45 minute layover in Atlanta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We might book a flight that has a 45 minute layover in Atlanta. Is it doable with a 2 and 6 year old with just 1 parent. What if the flight is late or the kids need to potty or my dd doesn't walk fast enough, etc.

Would you do it?
#2 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 PM

I'd change it if at all possible. We try and schedule longer layovers to allow time to move our bodies, eat, potty. But if you can't change it, see how far apart your gates will be (of course, it's subject to change, but most likely won't). If they are far maybe arrange something with your first plane, like letting you off first, or we've had flight attendants call our connecting gate and tell them we are coming. You might be able to arrange to have one of those carts take you to your gate.

Just make sure you have plenty of food with you! Good luck!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 PM

If you're not switching airlines, it might be okay, but if it's from one terminal to another there, I think you'll miss the connection. It's a big airport. I would see if you can find an airport map online and see how many gates your airline has. You might also want to ask for a ride when you get off, which would eliminate the slower walking speeds.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Atlanta is a huge airport and often flights come in at the end of one concourse to leave at the end of the next. They also tend to change gates frequently. I would DEFINITELY allow more time with two small children, especially if you plan to use a carseat on the plane for either (or both) of them.
#5 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM

45 minutes is a pretty tight connection time. If your first plane is late at all it could cause you to miss your next flight. Anytime I've had such a short connection time, I've always just barely made it to the next flight, and that's just worrying about myself (and sometimes my husband), running as fast as I can through a crowded airport. I can't imagine it with kids in tow.

Honestly, if it were me I'd take an option for later flight if possible. I'd rather wait in the airport for 2 hours than stress over that kind of connection! (But that's just me)
#6 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 AM

I have done it many times, it is NOT a big deal, and the one time my first plane was late, they held the second plane long enough for us to get to it.

Also, they have those things that look like a golf cart and beep obnoxiously, if you really need to, you can arrange to get from one gate to the next on one of those (thats what we did for my grandma)

I would also check which gate your second flight will be at, a lot of times its very close to the gate you land at, although a few times its been across the airport.

I would get off the plane as quick as you can, and walk right over to your next gate and then worry about going potty and whatnot. You could also have the kids pee right when they anounce 'your final decent' before they put the seatbelt sign on, so they will be less likley to have to 'go' right when you land.
#7 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
I have done it many times, it is NOT a big deal, and the one time my first plane was late, they held the second plane long enough for us to get to it.
I must just have horrible luck. Without fail, if I have a short connection time my first flight is horribly late, and/or my connecting gate is on the opposite end of a huge airport!
#8 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post
I must just have horrible luck. Without fail, if I have a short connection time my first flight is horribly late, and/or my connecting gate is on the opposite end of a huge airport!
That stinks!

Usually its just me and ds flying alone (we fly florida-atlanta-reno, or reverse, sometimes we get the connection in denver instead), and I dont check bags in (after flying over 200 flights, I try to avoid that when possible!). So I have me, ds, big rolly bag, dog shaped rolly bag (ds's), my carry on bag, a bag of food, and the carseat, and we manage fine! Ds walks, or sometimes I let him sit on the rolly bag or stick him in a carrier. Usually, we have 45min-an hour layover, and we get to the next gate on time.
#9 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 AM

That's interesting! I wonder if the airline matters? Within the US we tend to use AA.
#10 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM

My husband did this on last Friday going from SFO - Atlanta - Akron OH.
The time in between the connecting flights were about 35minutes with almost 3 year old and almost 5 year old. He didn't do the cart thing and all the kids pulled their own suitcase (granted the almost 3 year old pulled a tiny suitcase, whereas the 5 year old pulled regular carry-on). They got to the gate just in time with couple minute to spare and they actually got some water and snack. I'm not sure how he managed potty. I think they just went a lot on the first flight.
He can be pretty military when air traveling though. And I think their gate was C9 then C22 or something like that.
I don't know if I could've done it.
#11 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM

We usually fly united, south west or delta, ocassionally AA
#12 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonyoungi View Post
My husband did this on last Friday going from SFO - Atlanta - Akron OH.
The time in between the connecting flights were about 35minutes with almost 3 year old and almost 5 year old. He didn't do the cart thing and all the kids pulled their own suitcase (granted the almost 3 year old pulled a tiny suitcase, whereas the 5 year old pulled regular carry-on). They got to the gate just in time with couple minute to spare and they actually got some water and snack. I'm not sure how he managed potty. I think they just went a lot on the first flight.
He can be pretty military when air traveling though. And I think their gate was C9 then C22 or something like that.
I don't know if I could've done it.
See now that would be super easy, b/c you can almost see gate C22 from gate C9, they are in the same terminal so very close to each other.
I think the problem arises when you land in terminal D and your next flight is in A.

Here's a airport map:
http://www.ifly.com/hartsfield-jacks...l/terminal-map

Thats why I suggested the golf cart thingy ride, if you are in that situation! B/c at least they will hold the next plane if they are transporting you.
#13 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 PM

That's true. If it's different terminal, definitely do the golf cart thingy.
I think it costs may be 20 bucks?
#14 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM

The planner in me just couldn't do it. I was getting one kid off a flight and putting another one on at DIA on Saterday night and watched a gentleman miss his connecting flight when the gates were next to each other because the first flight was late . And of course it was 10:30 at night and the next flight to AK was sometime the next morning, if he could get a seat during the height of tourist season.....
#15 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i would let the airline know if that's your only option.

it will be hard if your gates are way across.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 17 Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM

I was able to do it on my own with DD, age 2 and DS, age 7(at the time). Gates were close together and we even hit the potty! I did take them to the family restroom, quick, no line, and all to ourselves.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#17 of 17 Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM

I won't do it in the Atlanta airport, especially if flying Delta.Since Delta flies out of all terminals T through E (there are 6 of them) and I have had my gates changed frequently on me, I just couldn't do a 45 minute layover in Atlanta.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page