Help 7 yr old bladder infection- what works?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has all the symptoms of a bladder infection- hurting when she pees, constantly feel she has to go and a belly ache.
Are there any tried and true remedies that any one knows really work?
Im just giving her tons of water right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM

Cranberry juice helps too.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 PM

In addition to pushing fluid she should see a doc asap, a bladder infection is serious and can lead to severe kidney problems.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 AM

Google "d-mannose"...I've read great things about how effective it is from women who have used it.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 AM

cranberry juice is a preventative (it is thought to make the lining slippery but if it's already infected that won't help any longer). Lots of fluids. It will eventually resolve itself but it would be best to get her antibiotics. If she can't pee she could very well die. A child here died and the parents were convicted of murder for not treating a simple bladder infection. So watch it carefully.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 AM

you can also buy pyridium over the counter and a bladder test kit to test for some of the infections. They are fairly cheap. You can find it in any store really. Probably near the pregnancy tests maybe? Pyridium makes me nauseas personally but most do ok.. I have NO idea the dosage for a child. It stains things orange but is one of the few things soothing to a bladder
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Raw garlic is a natural antibiotic as well. I get my kids to eat it by hiding it in sandwiches. Definitely push fluids, and avoid sugar. And yes, D-mannose is supposed to be great--made from cranberries, I think.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Banned

Bladder infections suck, and they can lead to kidney infections. Please get her checked out - she doesn't need to suffer. There are lots of things you can do to help speed recovery and to help prevent a recurrence, but now that she has the infection, antibiotics are called for.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 AM

I don't like antibiotics, but if it doesn't resolve itself within couple days with other stuff, I would definitely go to a allopathic doctor to get antibiotics and starting her on probiotics WHILE she's taking antibiotics AND afterwards.

Where is the bellyache?? Is the bellyache higher up at the bellybutton level or down low at the bladder level? If the bellyache is higher up, I would taker her in right away.

Hope she feels better very soon.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Just to clarify, Pyridium alleviates symptoms but does NOT cure bladder infections. (I don't think the PP was suggesting it does.) The antibiotics for bladder infections are usually very mild, but if it is left untreated or is only partially treated (for example, not finishing abx) then the stronger antibiotics may be needed. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If she has a bellyache the infection may already be in her kidneys and I suggest bringing her in immediately to a doctor to get her tested. I am not big on medicine, but I think that in this case you should go with what a doctor recommends.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

This is a nasty infection. The fever went to 104 and she's never had a bladder infection ever, so as much as it makes me sick to do Im giving her the antibiotics.
They prescribed Septra which I know nothing about and Im extremely nervous about it. I wish it could have been amoxycillan.
She's only taken antibiotics once, so I dont know how this will effect her.
Im giving her a probiotic 4 hrs after the dose and cranberry juice.
Any advice on protecting her from this drug while she is on it?
I know she cant be in the sun with it and to drink a lot.
Shes playing with legos right now with a 102 fever. Im hoping the fever helps burn this thing out faster.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post
They prescribed Septra which I know nothing about and Im extremely nervous about it. I wish it could have been amoxycillan.

Any advice on protecting her from this drug while she is on it?.

I'm just curious. What is it you think will happen to her because of the antibiotic? You do plan to finish the prescription even if she's feeling better, right?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Now that she's on antibiotics, she will probably feel better really soon.

Umm, my gut reaction says, avoid food that are major allergens (soy, dairy, gluten, etc) while she's on antibiotic and also afterwards until she reestablishes her gut flora. I don't know for like couple weeks, I guess.

what kind of probiotics are you using?
Seroyal/Genestra brand is highly recommended, because it has really high bacteria (the goodies) count, which delievers more bacterias even after some of the die off in the stomach. You can buy it here.
http://www.costlessvitamin.com/catal...oducts_id=1491

Maybe little bit of vitamin C, child dose.

After her gut flora seems established, you can give her lots of fermented food, too. Like, sauerkraut, homemade kefir, raw kombucha etc.

Hope she's feeling better already.
and remember, antibiotics can be harmful when not used correctly, but it saved lots of lives!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If she gets diarrhea then yogurt and white bread can help a lot. Any allergies should have shown up by now. I haven't heard of antibiotics being bad in any way (apart from the possible side effects which any medicine has and forming infections that are resistant to antibiotics which comes from not finishing the antibiotics). I am sure your doctor can walk you through that. If she still has a fever today I think you should bring her back in. They are suppossed to start working within about 24-48 hours. Still having bad symptoms is a sign that they aren't working.

User Tag List