Imaginary Friends: When do they go away? Can I kick them out? Charge them rent? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love hearing everyone's stories. Seriously. Although I'd love to hear more stories about how the imaginary friends go away, LOL!

We were in the car for three hours yesterday and Nicholas was having a cell phone conversation with Nacho.

What? They've taken over the yard? And they found out secret traps? DAMN! DAMN IT ALL!!!

Sigh. It's always the pastor's kid.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#32 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read this in Newsweek and wanted to quote a paragraph for you (I'm retyping so don't mind some typos):

"In middle childhood, kids sometimes create paracosms-fantasies of entire alternative worlds. Kids revisit their paracosms repeatedly, sometimes for months, and even create languages spoken there. This type of play peaks at age 9 and 10, and it's a very strong sign of future creativity. A MSU study of MacArthur "genius award" winners found a remarkably high rate of paracosm creation in their childhoods"

From Newsweek July 19, 2010 "The Creativity Crisis" ...
This article is great, because it doesn't just say "being creative is great!" the way we've been saying it forever. It's not about being artistic or dramatic or growing up to be a free-spirit. This article is about solving the world's BIGGEST problems, about keeping up in global markets, etc.

Also this tells you it will peak and end around 9 or 10... So there you go!

-joanna
#33 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

That makes me feel much, much better. The odds against him living in our basement just got better, LOL!

And did I mention, there IS a Nicholite language?!?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM

I think he sounds great. I also think you would really like J.D. Salinger's "Uncle Wiggily in Conneticut" (it's in Nine Stories). I probably just butchered all the spelling.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#35 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
That show was one of my guilty pleasures. Dh couldn't imagine why I watched it. It was just brainless enough and silly enough for me to enjoy. And it was far more up to date than Bewitched (which I still find highly amusing, but now it's more for just how dated the gender roles are!)
O/T But you can watch on Youtube. Not saying I have or anything...

Back on topic:
Nicholite language? That is just cool. Be prepared to retire early when he makes millions on a fantasy novel and/or TV show and/or movie.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#36 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Benjamin regularly needs to phone into the station house on Sodor island to consult with the drivers and the two controllers on the Island. There are more fires involving Percy than you can shake a stick at, and James is the biggest coward ever.

Every time we pass some filthy germ encrusted public phone he runs over to make a call. Yesterday he really wanted us all to wait in the middle of the town in the blazing sun until this group of about seven teens made phone calls (presumably to their parents to let them know where they were). I offered my cellphone but apparently cellphones can't reach Sodor Island, only land phones can call there.

I think he just loves pretending he is an important player in their world, someone in the loop. But when it results in a whiny pouty fit in the back because Daddy won't stop the car at each Emergency Phone along the highway to check on the Engines, I start to get a little fed up.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#37 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
I think he just loves pretending he is an important player in their world, someone in the loop.
This really spoke to my heart, and I wonder how much it is true for Nicholas.

He's also sucking his younger brother in. Daniel will blame the Nicholites for stuff, or speak in nonsense words and then say "It's in the Nicholite language!" with the "Duh, Mama!" implied.

With Nicholas, it's not so much that he tries to pin stuff on the Nicholites, but he honestly does seem to expect me to keep up with this entire imaginary world he's created, and seems a little put out when I don't.

#38 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
With Nicholas, it's not so much that he tries to pin stuff on the Nicholites, but he honestly does seem to expect me to keep up with this entire imaginary world he's created, and seems a little put out when I don't.
Benjamin does this to me too! He's says "Mommy, I just told you Thomas is at the docks, How can he help Toby and Edward with the fire on the rickety old bridge? That's on the other side of Sodor, Mommy!" Like I'm the crazy one!

ETA: I guess I should count my lucky stars Sodor is so far away and can only be communicated with through Public phones...and bananas.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#39 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM

I am soo enjoying reading this thread - 'tho it makes me realize that I haven't heard from 'Cattie' and the 'cat-friends' for a while.

DS1 adopted his imaginary friend 'Cattie' at around 3 or 4. Slowly, an elaborate world, populated with specific 'cat-friends', it's own language, a relationship to fairies and santa claus, geography, a strong alternative energy platform, and a completely consistent theology, developed. The most recent addition to this world was 'cat-rate', the catworld version of Karate. He does have a sense of the Cattie & catland as being imaginary, but he says "that doesn't mean it's not real". I completely believe that he right.

I also know that he uses catworld to play out themes that he (or I) feel less than comfortable with (like cat-rate). Last year a number of the catfriends died and I heard alot about their after-life experiences, what happens when beings die in catland, etc.

I have had to put certain boudaries around catland - like 'just because its OK in catland, doesn't mean its OK in our world'. I've never had a problem with him accepting those boundaries.

In general, I'm thrilled that he has a friend and a place that feels completely safe to him to play out anything that's challenging him.

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page