containing long hair for sports - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (8) doesn't like ponytails / braids (she is sensitive about how they feel). Her hair is below her shoulders.

I can't get it out of her what is the reason for them not feeling right. I think it is the combination of tightness and how the hair feels (not smooth?)

Are there any other hairstyling options? Are there any differences in hair elastics that we can try? What else can make a difference?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#2 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM

would she be willing to wear a headband? They make fabric sports ones that have rubber *grips* on the side that touches your hair so it stays in place better. I believe goody makes them. Have you tried placing the pony tail in a direction position, for example a high sitting pony tail or lower at the nape pony tail, maybe the postion change will feel better.
#3 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
would she be willing to wear a headband? They make fabric sports ones that have rubber *grips* on the side that touches your hair so it stays in place better. I believe goody makes them. Have you tried placing the pony tail in a direction position, for example a high sitting pony tail or lower at the nape pony tail, maybe the postion change will feel better.
Thanks, that's an idea! Where would I get one? Here Shoppers carry goody, but I haven't seen any in stores. We've tried others several months ago, and they don't stay well at all. Especially not for martial arts--lots of falls and tumbles.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had long hair for a long time-- What about a bun on the top of her head? I just recently got these goody spin pins and am loving them!!! They hold my hair up, but aren't murder getting them out bobby pins.

I lived in a 'half up' pony tail through school-- just the top portion of my hair in a rubber band or clip.

Before this i used bear claw clips all the time, but they break easy. There are lots of products out there to experiment with!

As for elastics-- I always use elastics covered in fabric-- never the ones where the rubber is exposed. Thin is better than thick, and no metal parts.

For comfort-- is she old enough to do her hair by herself? Sometimes pigtails and braids can just pull way too much. Are you rubberbanding twice (once at the top and bottom) or once? Once I was able to do my own hair-- you can control the tightness yourself. And even the ouches don't hurt that much. Finally, does she have thick hair? Some times the weight of my hair in a pony tail is uncomfortalbe.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I've had long hair for a long time-- What about a bun on the top of her head? I just recently got these goody spin pins and am loving them!!! They hold my hair up, but aren't murder getting them out bobby pins.

I lived in a 'half up' pony tail through school-- just the top portion of my hair in a rubber band or clip.

Before this i used bear claw clips all the time, but they break easy. There are lots of products out there to experiment with!

As for elastics-- I always use elastics covered in fabric-- never the ones where the rubber is exposed. Thin is better than thick, and no metal parts.

For comfort-- is she old enough to do her hair by herself? Sometimes pigtails and braids can just pull way too much. Are you rubberbanding twice (once at the top and bottom) or once? Once I was able to do my own hair-- you can control the tightness yourself. And even the ouches don't hurt that much. Finally, does she have thick hair? Some times the weight of my hair in a pony tail is uncomfortalbe.
Thanks you, this is very helpful. I had boy-short hair as a child, and as an adult I don't mind an occasional pony tail, so my experience is limited

I think she would be able to do it herself. We will get more products and try the half up.

She is not keen on a bun, though.

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part? Like one elastic to hold her hair in a ponytail, and one in the bottom of the ponytail to contain the tip?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#6 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part? Like one elastic to hold her hair in a ponytail, and one in the bottom of the ponytail to contain the tip?
I think that's exactly what she means.

Have you only done one braid in the back, or have you tried pigtails? I like pigtails way more.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#7 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks you, this is very helpful. I had boy-short hair as a child, and as an adult I don't mind an occasional pony tail, so my experience is limited

I think she would be able to do it herself. We will get more products and try the half up.

She is not keen on a bun, though.

well yes, when you do a braid. Sometimes it's more comfortable to just do the braid and fasten at the bottom.

these are pins I mentioned (the first picture). They are so ouchless compared to bobby pins. These are the other clips I was talking about.

I hope you find something that works!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I think that's exactly what she means.

Have you only done one braid in the back, or have you tried pigtails? I like pigtails way more.
Thanks! We only tried one braid so far.

So is it better to double elastics might be better for a braid?

We are off to Shoppers for some splurging!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#9 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
well yes, when you do a braid. Sometimes it's more comfortable to just do the braid and fasten at the bottom.

these are pins I mentioned (the first picture). They are so ouchless compared to bobby pins. These are the other clips I was talking about.

I hope you find something that works!
Thank you! I want to try those pins myself now!

I think she shouldn't have anything sharp / metal in her hair for martial arts, though, as lots of falling is involved. She is not supposed to fall on her head, but just in case, kwim.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#10 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM

when I used to have longish hair I would cut the sleeves off a tshirt (to make a sleeveless tshirt) and then use the sleeve for a headband, it was tighter and wider than a store bought headband (more like a bandana) and kept the hair out of my face and off my neck.

Like this but not so fancy, just cut it off and use it!
#11 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
when I used to have longish hair I would cut the sleeves off a tshirt (to make a sleeveless tshirt) and then use the sleeve for a headband, it was tighter and wider than a store bought headband (more like a bandana) and kept the hair out of my face and off my neck.

Like this but not so fancy, just cut it off and use it!
Speaking of which... how about a bandana?

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#12 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM

I love using bandanas to keep my hair back! It isn't as cool on my neck as a ponytail but definitely effective in keeping the hair from blowing around.
#13 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I want to try those pins myself now!

I think she shouldn't have anything sharp / metal in her hair for martial arts, though, as lots of falling is involved. She is not supposed to fall on her head, but just in case, kwim.

I see-- the clips would be out, but the spin pins are surprisingly flexible.

#14 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 AM

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/

Let her pick what she likes from these cute choices.
#15 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 AM

Have you tried different types of elastics? I haven't had long hair for years, but did as a kid. Some of the elastics pulled at my hair or tangled, or were too tight on my scalp. Two things that helped were-

A. learning to put in pony tails by myself. When other people do them, it can be uncomfortable, too tight, etc. When you do them yourself, you can adjust them to where its comfortable for you

B. Trying out a variety of different elastics. In the end I really liked a thicker, cloth-covered, no metal clasp type. They were advertised as no pinch or no tangle or something (yeah, its been a long time) But your DD may find she likes a different type better. when I was little my parents used bands that were basically like rubberbands, and I HATED how those felt, plus they caught, tugged at, and broke my hair.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page