mispronounciation i love too much to correct - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 160 Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When DD was a newborn, she made all sorts of cute squeaky noises and I called her Squeaky. It changed a little and she became my Sweet Squeak. When she was about two I'd ask her to say "I'm mommy's Sweet Squeak!" and she'd say "I'm mommy's Kweet Kweat!" Normally I correct her pronunciation, but I just can't with that one. Even now at 4.5 she's still my "Kweet Kweat".

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#122 of 160 Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 PM

DD calls Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas "Froggy"...

Today she came home and told me all about the "grapeyard" game (graveyard)...you lay down and pretend to be dead until you get tagged, in the grapeyard.
#123 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 AM

DD says "It's mines." or "it's my owns." I love it and don't care if it sounds "bidiculous" (as she would say.)

She also says "biscusting."
#124 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM

I remembered another one. My daughter used to call nipples, nibbles. It was pretty cute but it seemed even cuter after my son was born and she would say:

"Mommy, the baby drinks milk from your nibbles, doesn't he?"

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#125 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperBCN View Post
We have interrupting volcanoes here! And they do sort of interrupt what's going on, right?
4yo ds says this too! and he calls a forklift a 'forkliftER'. he says he knows it's eally a forkleft, but he prefers forklifter,

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#126 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Oooo, just remembered one --

"firefence" = firetruck + ambulance

Basically, any vehicle with sirens that isn't a police car.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#127 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM

my 4 yo dd calls bias tape "biased tape"

but 2 yo ds is THEE best:

diarrhea is "die-duh-bee-duh"
beans are "beanses" (actually all plurals are like that, eggses, sockses. think gollum)
bunny rabbit is "rubby babbit"
you is "ou" (like french sounding)
yeah is "laaa"

he has a funny halting way of talking, and somehow he has a french accent (i can 100% affirm he has never heard french in his life) so i started calling him my "french robot". he honestly sounds just.like.a.robot. it is sooooo funny!

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#128 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoma View Post
She asked if he wanted a "tookie" and our friend replied "Why yes I would love a "TOOKIE". She looked at him very seriously and replied "It's not a TOOKIE its a TOOKIE!!" OMG it was hilarious...she had no idea she was saying it wrong. her.
my dd does this too! so darn cute!

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#129 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post
my 4 yo dd calls bias tape "biased tape"

but 2 yo ds is THEE best:

diarrhea is "die-duh-bee-duh"
beans are "beanses" (actually all plurals are like that, eggses, sockses. think gollum)
bunny rabbit is "rubby babbit"
you is "ou" (like french sounding)
yeah is "laaa"

he has a funny halting way of talking, and somehow he has a french accent (i can 100% affirm he has never heard french in his life) so i started calling him my "french robot". he honestly sounds just.like.a.robot. it is sooooo funny!
Your 4 yo knows what bias tape is? Awesome!
#130 of 160 Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM

my almost 5 year old dd calls magazines, mazagines. i love it so much i call them that to her so she won't notice the difference.

my dd2, at 2 years old, calls chocolate, chocodo. i love it. she figured out it was actually chocolate and i miscorrected her cause it is so cute. she said she loves her brown pants cause they are relaly chocodo.
#131 of 160 Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
The other day we were driving in the evening and DD (almost 4) said, 'Oh, look, it's a croissant moon!'

No way was I going to correct that one!

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#132 of 160 Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 AM

Last summer my DS who was just turned 2 said PLIP PLOPS for flip flops. My next door neighbour/friend adored it and was so disappointed this summer when flip flop season returned to learn that he was saying it properly now.
#133 of 160 Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Lupine View Post
The other day we were driving in the evening and DD (almost 4) said, 'Oh, look, it's a croissant moon!'

No way was I going to correct that one!
and also to the plip plops!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#134 of 160 Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 PM

Some of the words we hear:

flamingo = fingo-mango

milk= nong (I have no idea where that one came from)

hospital= hos-ti-pull
#135 of 160 Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

can i revive this thread? i'm the OP... does that give me the right? my daughter is now 5, and still mispronouncing "vampiper" -- which i think is pretty darn cute. her 2 year old brother refers to himself as "ah-me" (we think it's a combination of "I" and "me") but i'm afraid we all find it too cute, and are now referring to him as "ah-me" as well. 

#136 of 160 Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Ha!  I loved this thread last year and I love it now.  Right now dd has a doll that came with a pacifier.  To differentiate between the other dolls we would call it Baby Pacifier.  Well, now she calls it Baby Pass-sour.  So, the doll's name is now Pass-Sour.  lol.gif

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#137 of 160 Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 AM

awesome thread!

i got DSD a pair of goggles over the summer, and she called them "gobbles" (sounds more like gobbows) for a good month! we often correct her speech (not so much single words, but grammar), but that was way too good. im pretty disappointed that she has now changed it to "vovvles". 

we also get "ps-getti" for spaghetti.

she used to call ambulances "ambiances" until i sounded it out for her. now its a very painstaking "aammmm byuuuu yan ces" every time she sees one.

she doesnt pronounce Ls at all, so many of the things she says are just naturally cute: i am Karwa, she is Marwee, etc.

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#138 of 160 Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Love these! joy.gif

DD calls her forehead her "foreword head."

This morning she was describing her different dinosaurs to me, and told me her stegosaurus's spikes were "to keep away credators!"
#139 of 160 Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM

According to my 4yo ds a caterpillar builds a "raccoon" and later comes out a butterfly!  It cracks me up every time...

He also says that his "tummy has a head-egg" (headache) if he has a tummy ache.

Oh yes and cucumbers are "cu-ca-mumbers".

ETA.. oooh.. I remembered another one.  Vampires are "vam-pirates".

LOL!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#140 of 160 Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM

My 7 YO still slips and says something like "comford-abible" for comfortable. I used to love when she'd say "istra-sted" for interested and she used to make up her own words for things. You know when you're in the tub and your hands and feet get wrinkled? One day when she'd been in the tub she asked me why her hands were "all nestargled." There was static in a recording of a song and she said " I don't like this song. It has a little 'scrumble' in it." joy.gif

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#141 of 160 Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Not exactly the same, but in a similar vein, my 7 year old informed me that at her school, if they wear "noodle straps" (meaning spaghetti straps), they have to wear another shirt over it. It was so cute.  Kind of made me sad because at 7, she doesn't have many of the cute mispronunciations anymore. 

#142 of 160 Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM

My ds says "Good Monering"  which I love!  And he calls band-aids "peanut butters" because of their color.  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#143 of 160 Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

embone was the elbow.

kneepit was the back of the leg. 

The neighbor boy was playing Call of Duty... yeah not a good choice but he told my girls about it and they told me he was playing Call of Booty. 

#144 of 160 Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM

My 2yo was looking for "toads" in the fire the other night.  (Coals).

Dd(6.5) still says "comtrable", "reFrigrator", and "reraser".

Ds(4) says "lemalade"

And, a little different, but dd3 (13mo) was exclaiming over and over "Airplane!" her new word as she pointed at the sky.  Suddenly she got this puzzled look and grabbed her hair and asked me with her eyes.  I said, "Hair."  She said, "Airplane?" I said, "Hair.  Airplane" and really stretched out the sounds.  She seemed to get it then.  I just thought it was amazing that she was putting together words like that already.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#145 of 160 Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#146 of 160 Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I still use my kids mispronunciations years after they can say them correctly... and I get corrected for it now!

Calendar = clandider

Cantaloupe = cowabloop

Sandwich = ampanch

Brother = buvvah

Spaghetti = forgetti

Andrew = Andoo

DS used to say he was going to "Wook out the Lindow" to see if Gramma was coming. That always cracked me up.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#147 of 160 Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 AM

bulldozer:  doolbozer

refrigerator:  fray-frayger (my ABSOLUTE favorite!)

cantaloup:  plope plope

yogurt:  odurt

airplane:  hairpain

my boys are 4 and 6 now and they sometimes ask "how did i use to say ____?" b/c they know how much i love their old mispronounciations!

#148 of 160 Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 AM

My 8 yr old has always adored Woody frm Toy Story and has a Woody lantern night light that to this DAY he calls a lamp-atern, just makes sense to him. :)

#149 of 160 Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM

"Oh I just read this whole thread. I haven't laughed so hard for a long time. One thing my oldest (now 33) used to say was yo-GRET. I've heard other kids say it that way in the supermarket and it always makes me nostalgic for those days. One day when he was 3 he was telling me things he was going to do when he grew up ("When I grow up I'm going to have bad habits like my Daddy!") One of the things on his list was "I'm going to say maza -GEEN like a grown up." I don't think he'd said the word before and just couldn't figure out what he meant maza-GEEN. After he repeated it several times I said "Use it in a sentence." Immediately I thought "He's 3. He doesn't know what a sentance is." He said "Mommy reads a maza-GEEN." Yeah, he knew what a sentence was.

Now I'm helping raise 4yo twin boys. Our laptops are compyooners. They used to be pyooners. When we go food shopping G frequently asks "Is it reGANic?" His pajamas are Kajamas, potatoes are Kataydoes. Vitamins are bite-amins. B calls hamburgers hang-ga-gers. For the longest time they said fish backwards. So pre-emptively we would start saying "Look at all the fish, boys" as we walked into a seafood restaurant lest they start talking about the "shi*."

G likes his ba-sketty and other noodles without sauce or anything else on them. He says he doesn't like them dirty. B used to say shock-it nilk when he wanted chocolate milk. I don't correct them. I think they're too cute. They correct themselves soon enough and then I miss the cute ways they said things.

More: When G was thirsty and hadn't yet learned the word he said "Mommy, I'm empty of drink." I love how little kids use the language they have to express concepts they haven't yet learned the words to say. He also asks for help to turn his shirts or pants "outside out"

#150 of 160 Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM

My 2 YO has some cute ones. She's obsessed with "Yippers" (zippers) and she also tries to get her hands on my yizzers (scissors) and sip-sops (flip-flops).

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page