mispronounciation i love too much to correct - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this is funny, because my 9 yo was an amazing early speaker and I rarely corrected her. one that somehow slipped through was 'everything' which she pronounces 'etherything'. she's in the fourth grade and refuses to acknowledge my corrections now. i'm not encouraging rabid correction of early speakers but i wish somehow i'd gotten through when she was little!!

#152 of 160 Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Just so you know, correcting doesn't mean you won't ever hear it again. DD used to say sammich, instead of sandwich, she was corrected and said it properly for a while but now she just prefers sammich.

Also our whole family calls grilled cheese, girled cheese. So DD calls them girled cheese sammiches.

My dad is from Kentucky and has said "sammich" his whole life.

DD just turned 3 and called all her birthday presents "birthday presidents." ROTFLMAO.gif

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#153 of 160 Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 AM

3 yo says 'willn't' instead of 'won't'. Its really hard to understand if she's saying 'will' or 'willnt' but when I told the older bros about it and they tried to teach her 'won't' i realized i'd be sad to see 'willn't' go. It's pretty much her last mispronunciation (maybe more to come?). 

however, my 10 year old and his best friend have always called pokemon evolutions as 'evulsions'. I asked him about it recently, becuase I don' tknow all that poke-speak and he said it is 'evlusions.' I looked it up in a 'poke-book' and it is written 'evolution' but he insisted in poke it is pronounced 'evulsions.' Um, ok. then I kinda regretted pointing it out because at 10 there aren't so many kiddie qualities still around. 

Mom to 11 y.o. lawyer, 9 y.o. actor, and 4 y.o. pilot. I believe 'em on those, too!

#154 of 160 Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

According to my 4yo ds a caterpillar builds a "raccoon" and later comes out a butterfly!  It cracks me up every time...

He also says that his "tummy has a head-egg" (headache) if he has a tummy ache.

Oh yes and cucumbers are "cu-ca-mumbers".

ETA.. oooh.. I remembered another one.  Vampires are "vam-pirates".

LOL!

twins.gif My kids had tummy-eggs!

Mom to 11 y.o. lawyer, 9 y.o. actor, and 4 y.o. pilot. I believe 'em on those, too!

#155 of 160 Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD called woodpeckers "knock-knock crows"... and shortly after she invented that, crows became "black no-knock-knock crows" LOL!

DS had one recently that was pretty funny... he's 9 and rarely mispronounces anything anymore. They were playing Little Big Planet and it has tutorials for setting up you own level. He was telling me about the 'terratorals' and I asked what that was. He explained that its instructions on how to do something and I said "Oh, you mean tutorials" and he said "Yeah, terratorals." So I asked him if they had one on pronunciation (he didn't get it)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#156 of 160 Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM

DS2 was telling me something about "Daddy's wince-pit." After many questions he finally said "Daddy's bwew wince-pit" I realized then he was saying "blue rinse-spit," meaning mouthwash. DS3 (his twin) calls instructions "the constructions." They both say build-dozer instead of bulldozer. Makes sense to me.

#157 of 160 Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

My friends little girl says "canamel" instead of camel, and that is the most adorable thing ever, I think.

Are you my friend IRL???  Because I *just* came here to post this!  My DD is 5 and still says "canimal". Which I love because she never went through the cute pronunciation phase but rather talked like a kindergartner by the time she was two.  

Funny sayings in our house:

- popsicles are both actual popsicles AND lollipops

- DD1 (5) uses 'otherwise' instead of 'anyway'

- DD2's favorite restaurant food:  macamowee and beanies

My niece called popsicles "fuckoles" for a very long time. Talk about laughing until you pee your pants!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#158 of 160 Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM

camuger (computer)

#159 of 160 Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM

poo-partment (apartment)

#160 of 160 Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

fowler (flower)

umputer (computer)

rainging (raining)

saleep (sleep)

uncle (ankle)

Jimz (his name- James)

dot (dark)

and my favorites-

yus (yes- must be said in a strong, butler-type tone)

moi-bay (maybe)

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page