4 yo, huge meltdowns daily - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uggg, right now DD is having another huge meltdown - she seems to have 1 a day these days. This one started with us looking at a photo album, we were looking at pictures and having fun and then she saw a photo of her and her aunt who lives in Florida, who she misses very much. She starts to get sad about it, so I say let's call her. We do and she leaves her aunt a very tearful message and then runs to her room crying, starting the meltdown. She's now been crying for 20 mins about her aunt, her dad who is at work, her favorite blanket that is developing a hole in it, her dress that has a stain on it but she doesn't want to wash it, etc.
Yesterday she had one in music class - class was going 100% well, she was having lots of fun, then the teacher said we were going to dance. She didn't want to dance, she wanted to sit and snuggle, which was fine but I told her we had to move to the side of the room, we couldn't sit in the middle of the floor in the way - cue start of meltdown.
She has one of these almost daily, usually over nothing significant, totally out of the blue and I don't know why or what to do about it. It doesn't seem to be related to food or sleep - we had a new baby 3 months ago - is it from that? Is it a 4 yo phase? Uggggghhhh I don't know what to do!!!!!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Hugs! Sorry, that's all I have, but I'm right there too.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM

I think it's part of the age, I've noticed more meltdowns with my 4 year old as well...

At home mommy to Paige 2004, Sydney 2006 and Cole 2009 :
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM

Oh yea...that is totally my daughter. Since the week before she turned 4, she has turned into this huge time bomb, exploding at any time. I can sometimes recognize the warnings signs (anytime she is tired/hungry/overwhelmed in a new situation) and then I can try to head them off. It sure takes a LOT of work though, and its exhausting!
I really think its the age...my DD is an only and she is having the same issues!

I'm sure this will not be a popular method but the only thing working somewhat for us is a "Good Choice" sticker chart. I started it 2 weeks ago and I'm SLOWLY noticing less fits throughout the day. Anytime she makes a good choice of listening and/or doing something to calm herself down when she starts to lose it, she gets a sticker. We sat down together and decided what the prize should be after 10 stickers. Oh, and if she has a huge fit she loses a sticker. Its been slow going but we are up to 7 now! Anyway, not sure if that would work for you but I was exhausted and seemed like I tried everything in the book...
Hang in there! I know how hard it is!

Anna

User Tag List